Shell Energy Stadium

Subdude

Haven't bought my tickets yet. Gonna wait until the day of or before for them to go down.

I am afraid you might be out of luck for opening day...but who knows there has to be someone around the stadium day of selling tickets!

I am afraid you might be out of luck for opening day...but who knows there has to be someone around the stadium day of selling tickets!

stubhub. Tickets are at least $20 cheaper than they were a month ago.

I will be there as well!!! cannot wait! my buddy who lives a block away however said the noise when drums and music is being played is over the top loud and can almost hear perfectly inside his home!!! yikes! haha

• Thanks 1

The virtual stadium doesn't show the skyline when you choose a seat from the east side. I'm guessing they left it out on purpose. I'd be shocked and disappointed if I cant see it.

The East side has very good skyline views.

Here's the set.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/irees/sets/72157629974731513

Some excerpts.

7146844753_ac961ab813_z.jpg

Untitled by wools, on Flickr

7146845899_087decb624_z.jpg

7000761312_1ee78ae576_z.jpg

7000764072_96e619a274_z.jpg

7000765202_71777617b9_z.jpg

7000766364_8b3ef1d833_z.jpg

View from my friend's seats.

7146856311_57ecfd34ec_z.jpg

7000772702_fff3276e7e_z.jpg

Skyline view from the highest level.

7146868721_344831480b_z.jpg

7146866083_4605c91b5f_z.jpg

7146869687_0827eeecb9_z.jpg

I like how the stadium is relatively "in" the neighborhood, and not separated by massive setbacks or acres of parking. You walk up to it like any other building.

7146872619_4073edf4dc_z.jpg

Edited by woolie
  • Like 2

I wish them luck, I really do, however I have the uneasy feeling that this venture will go the same way as the Sam Houston Race Track or the Gulf Greyhound Park. There will be great openning attendance and then a slow and agonizing spiral downward. I forsee a discussion on this place in 10 to 12 years about how to revitalize it. There just isn't enough pizzaz to sustain long term interest, unless of course the team is really outstanding!

I do wish them luck however. There was a lot of effort put forth in this project.

You are probably unaware that the team has averaged 17,327 in attendance over the 6 years the team has been in Houston, all while playing in the admittedly dumpy Robertson Stadium. You are also probably unaware that attendance leaguewide has been increasing for the last 5 years, the size of the league has nearly doubled since 2005, and that 3/4 of the teams now play in soccer specific stadiums, which bodes well for financial stability. Soccer is growing in popularity as more young people take up the sport. With a properly sized stadium, and control of revenue, the Dynamo will not likely see financial problems for a long time.

While there may not be much interest in your circle of friends, there is plenty of interest in the team elsewhere. In fact, with the Astros only averaging 23,000 per game, the Dynamo will nearly match them in attendance this year. Horse racing, on the other hand, is a dying sport. Sam Houston is simply a reflection of that.

Edited by RedScare
  • Like 4

I wish them luck, I really do, however I have the uneasy feeling that this venture will go the same way as the Sam Houston Race Track or the Gulf Greyhound Park.

Well, I know that soccer is a new sport in the world, but I think it might work out. Personally, what this new sport needs is some kind of global competition, like a World Series. They could have it every couple of years in a different city each time, like the Olympics. I've heard that soccer is popular in some other countries, maybe even Spanish speaking ones. If only Houston had more of an international flavor...

There just isn't enough pizzaz to sustain long term interest, unless of course the team is really outstanding!

I think I read somewhere that this team won their "MLS Championship" twice. I'm not sure what that means, though.

Edited by woolie
  • Like 1

And to add on to what RedScare said, there is also a sizable Hispanic population here, such as myself, that absolutely loves football (soccer). That population is growing year after year so to say that this could all fall apart once they move into the new place, I highly highly highhhhhly doubt it.

Go to the Kentucky Derby if you want to watch horse racing.. Houston's the last place you think of for such a sport.

I have to say I really like the look of the new stadium. I hope I get a chance to go. And 'BBVA Compass Stadium': What a catchy name!

Well, I know that soccer is a new sport in the world, but I think it might work out. Personally, what this new sport needs is some kind of global competition, like a World Series. They could have it every couple of years in a different city each time, like the Olympics. I've heard that soccer is popular in some other countries, maybe even Spanish speaking ones.

:lol:

Soccer is a lot more popular with the under 30 crowd in the USA than the over 40 mainstream sports crowd cares to admit (some are even openly hostile to the idea of it). Soccer will never be bigger than baseball, basketball, football barring a massive paradigm shift (and some soccer fans would do well to remember that they arent as close to taking over the country as they think) but that doesnt mean it wont ever be a mainstream sport. It is very close to reaching that tipping point, I think, but people in general wont realize that has happened until a newer guard of sportswriters and sportscasters is still in place. Still you can see just within the past few years that ESPN and Fox see the writing on the wall and have started making big investments in soccer. A ridiculous amount of people in this country watched a game between two teams a few miles apart in Manchester play last week on a Monday afternoon.

That kind of international competition isnt all that great for MLS, but I think in this case the rising tide of the sport will lift all boats.

I also shy away from baseball comparisons. Baseball is still king, as far as drawing spectators in to see a ballgame. Japanese baseball is 2nd in worldwide attendance and draws more people through its gates every year than the NBA, NFL, and NHL do in the United States at about 21 million fans per season. MLB is of course way beyond that at almost 75 million fans per year. No sport in the world keeps people coming back to the park like baseball, its hard to compare apples to apples when comparing baseball teams drawing for so many games to other leagues.

Soccer is a lot more popular with the under 30 crowd in the USA than the over 40 mainstream sports crowd cares to admit (some are even openly hostile to the idea of it). Soccer will never be bigger than baseball, basketball, football barring a massive paradigm shift (and some soccer fans would do well to remember that they arent as close to taking over the country as they think) but that doesnt mean it wont ever be a mainstream sport. It is very close to reaching that tipping point, I think, but people in general wont realize that has happened until a newer guard of sportswriters and sportscasters is still in place. Still you can see just within the past few years that ESPN and Fox see the writing on the wall and have started making big investments in soccer. A ridiculous amount of people in this country watched a game between two teams a few miles apart in Manchester play last week on a Monday afternoon.

That kind of international competition isnt all that great for MLS, but I think in this case the rising tide of the sport will lift all boats.

I've heard ESPN radio announcing soccer scores lately. Maybe the shift is getting kick started?

that comparison made me laugh out loud! comparing dog/horse races to a soccer team! haha! oh well...anyway, soccer has a huge fan base AND this stadium is in a convenient and "makes sense" location where those others are not ;) I KNOW this will be successful and man i cannot wait to go May 12 and tons more times in the future!

• Like 2

Words from Dynamo player:

ā€œThere was some slight breeze at Robertson because there was that hole when you played the game. There is no wind in the new stadium, none. Itā€™s an oven, so it kind of sucks for the other team coming in because theyā€™re going to die.ā€

ā€œWeā€™re dying in training at like 10:30-11 oā€™clock,ā€ he said. ā€œIt heats up all day, the concrete, the metal and the steel around it, itā€™s just going to be an oven. Make sure the fans bring cold towels.ā€

http://blog.chron.co...home-advantage/

Didn't the chron report just the other day that the mesh metal would help create air flow? No doubt they meant the concourse area only.

I hope it's not as bad as he is describing.

edit: I'll be in section 223 at the top. Policy says maximum 4" lens. That's unzoomed, right?

Edited by lockmat