Vertigo58

2 hours ago, hindesky said:

They were jumping the tower crane today. They use that weight to balance the jib while they jack the crane up. When they find the sweet spot they un bolt it and then use hydraulics to raise the upper portion of the crane. They then slide the new section in, lower the upper portion and bolt it up, repeat this process until they add all the sections they need.

GSxLOaB.jpeg

qCQUIGP.jpeg

H7r6WLx.jpeg

euvnitg.jpeg

Rr7Syqv.jpeg

5vCB0RL.jpeg

hmqI3UH.jpeg

bC1Jjbj.jpeg

ytucw4R.jpeg

wldh1om.jpeg

Traffic was jacked up trying to go south from Washington Ave. I too was in the on Shepherd heading southbound but I bailed out and found another route. Both Memorial Dr. and Allen Pkwy were shut down, one for the Rodeo Run and the other for the returning Trail riders back to Memorial Park after the Rodeo Parade. All the streets around lower Heights and north Montrose were a cluster f🤬kc.

3R5Izr9.jpeg

It was a hell of a day to be on a bike, though!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Berg Hospitality Group shared a rendering of Turner's Cut to its social media last week. Additionally, the restaurant group announced their latest addition will make its debut in May.

Turner's Cut is an upscale steakhouse concept opening soon in Autry Park. It's located at 811 Buffalo Park Dr, Suite 160, in Hanover Autry Park.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C5oq6ikJliL/

qvsT97M.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

Either this or Georgia James falls in a year or two, I just can't see both of these staying open a block away from each other with Brasserie 19, Perry's, Andiron, Federal, Brenner's, and Laurenzo's also just a hop skip away. (His own B&B Butchers, Flemings, and Doris also in the area).

Or maybe there's a regular demand for upscale steakhouses and I'm an idiot?

48 minutes ago, AS_ said:

Either this or Georgia James falls in a year or two, I just can't see both of these staying open a block away from each other with Brasserie 19, Perry's, Andiron, Federal, Brenner's, and Laurenzo's also just a hop skip away. (His own B&B Butchers, Flemings, and Doris also in the area).

The demand for upscale steakhouses seems practically unquenchable. Not much farther either east or west and we have a bunch more as well. I'm sure I'm leaving out a bunch. Do you think Turner's Cut is going to be the one to tip the scale?  ;-)

• Vic & Anthony's
  • Pappas Bros
  • Gatsby's
  • Guard and Grace
  • Morton's
  • Toro
  • Shula's
  • The Palm
  • Steak 48
  • Del Frisco's Double Eagle
  • Capital Grille
  • Ruth's Chris
  • Mastro's

1 hour ago, AS_ said:

WHY IN THE WORLD are these mixed use Urban developments, with many 1 bedroom units AS PART OF THEIR PROJECT, leasing out their restaurant spaces to $100 a person places like Georgia James, MF Sushi, or Turner's Cut?

Go to any synergistic high traffic urban center and you find a number of "casual" dining options for the urban loving people that are looking for something they grab and hang out in the adjacent urban space

Grab a slice of pizza, grab a cocktail, grab a taco, etc. and HANG OUT.

Leasing to the like of Georgia James and Turner's Cut and Pastore are going to kill these developments.

There is a reason why The Flight Club is still going strong...it creates Urban Synergy!

The casual Mexican Restaurant going into Regent Square is MUCH better!

So does nearby Piggys Kitchen

I mean, Autry Park leased a space to a high end boot maker fronting their green space.....what?

How are they continuing to get the selection of Urban center retail spaces wrong?

Edited by shasta
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, jmitch94 said:

This development had studios for $2,200 a month and 1 bed 1 baths for $3,300. A $100 a person place is a regular hangout for people like that. 

Regardless..it's not creating Urban Synergy.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, jmitch94 said:

This development had studios for $2,200 a month and 1 bed 1 baths for $3,300. A $100 a person place is a regular hangout for people like that. 

..and Regent Square is ghost town and Pastore and Georgia James are about to close and Autry Park may face the same challenges with those type of tenants for these type of projects.

6 hours ago, shasta said:

WHY IN THE WORLD are these mixed use Urban developments, with many 1 bedroom units AS PART OF THEIR PROJECT, leasing out their restaurant spaces to $100 a person places like Georgia James, MF Sushi, or Turner's Cut?

Go to any synergistic high traffic urban center and you find a number of "casual" dining options for the urban loving people that are looking for something they grab and hang out in the adjacent urban space

Leasing to the like of Georgia James and Turner's Cut and Pastore are going to kill these developments.

There is a reason why The Flight Club is still going strong...it creates Urban Synergy!

I mean, Autry Park leased a space to a high end boot maker fronting their green space.....what?

How are they continuing to get the selection of Urban center retail spaces wrong?

I believe the goal of this development is to be a high-end mixed-use development. They are catering to the River Oaks crowd, not the crowd that would make up the average "synergistic high traffic urban center". The casual dining options you are seeking aren't willing to pay to lease out these spaces. The type of urban center you are seeking will most likely take place on the east side of downtown. Places like East River and East Blocks.   

• Like 8

It's pretty explicitly not for people like me, but if it's built right, it could be 50 years from now. Unfortunately that's generally how new construction goes. Hopefully the Concept Neighborhood stuff is a little more accessible, but it'd be silly to expect anything in River Oaks to be for anybody but the 1%.

The benefits are still universal, though. When the most agressively densifying mixed-use developments are concentrated in wealthy areas, the downsides of gentrification elsewhere are mitigated.

All that said, getting rid of minimum parking requirements, minimum setback / maximum lot coverage requirements, etc. would go a long way toward making it easier to build smaller, lower-tab suites. 

Likewise, we could work making it easier to open food stalls in parks. Mexico City has an amazing park food culture that feels like something we could emulate in places like Discovery Green, Hermann Park, Buffalo Bayou / Eleanor Tinsley Park, Emancipation Park, Elizabeth Baldwin Park, and even Autry Park. 

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Fortune said:

I believe the goal of this development is to be a high-end mixed-use development. They are catering to the River Oaks crowd, not the crowd that would make up the average "synergistic high traffic urban center". The casual dining options you are seeking aren't willing to pay to lease out these spaces. The type of urban center you are seeking will most likely take place on the east side of downtown. Places like East River and East Blocks.   

..and that is exactly the reason why places like Regent Square will fail.

You don't go from NOTHING to high end without going through the proper tenant steps first.

River Oaks shopping center had plenty of "average tenants" before the MARKET stated they can support high end restaurants...and so they slowly upgraded LITTLE- BY LITTLE bur they STILL have very busy casual options like La Madeline and others

The lawns in both Regent Square and Autry Park are D-E-A-D because they fail to understand that urban synergy leads to high end rent.

City Centre understood this..parts of the river Oaks District understood this, parts didn't

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 004n063 said:

Likewise, we could work making it easier to open food stalls in parks. Mexico City has an amazing park food culture that feels like something we could emulate in places like Discovery Green, Hermann Park, Buffalo Bayou / Eleanor Tinsley Park, Emancipation Park, Elizabeth Baldwin Park, and even Autry Park. 

I'm OK with some limited number of food carts in parks, but not a full-blown park food culture.  

Houston already has a huge problem with trash, and the bayous are already full of garbage.  Go to Moody Park and there's a tree along the bayou with its bottom half almost completely covered in plastic bags and other trash.

It's been a long time since the days of "Don't mess with Texas."  People have little pride of place, or civic pride these days.  A couple of food carts in the parks are probably manageable.  But a bunch of them will likely get out of hand.

I'd like to see the city set up designated food truck parking spaces downtown and maybe in the parking lots of some parks.  I've seen it in other cities, but I don't know if they've been successful long-term.  I do know that the food truck operators were happy to have them, as the spots are assigned and rotated so that it's not like a Mad Max situation, like it is with Houston's tow trucks.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, shasta said:

Aren't you the guy who was hating on Regent Square a while back because they were leasing to a nail spa, a sauna and a Clean Juice?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Aren't you the guy who was hating on Regent Square a while back because they were leasing to a nail spa, a sauna and a Clean Juice?

EXACTLY...nothing screams Urban Synergy more than a sauna and a nail spa.

The juice spot, ice cream shop and workout space, I can live with

Have you ever been to the great urban centers in the world?

They have "casual" food/drink spots that spill over into the street...the square...the piazza...the green space...the plaza, etc. then, from there..you "sprinkle" in select retail, entertainment, fitness then..a few select high end restaurants for those with greater means.

There is a reason why the only tenant doing well is the Flight Club (food + drinks + games).

Why is this soooo hard for Houstonians to understand?

Not Rocket Science...only to us here, apparently. Other cities seem to allow this to happen almost organically...but not us

Hell, or even create a mixed use development with an anchor HEB tenant "supporting" the other live/eat/play elements and you will have a ton of foot traffic.

I'm still hoping a developer/ HEB is eyeing this for a spot on West Gray to overtake the nearby Kroger.

The actual Krogers site, the Post Office site or the shopping center site at West Gray/Dunlavy could be candidates.

Edited by shasta

2 minutes ago, shasta said:

They have "casual" food/drink spots that spill over into the street...the square...the piazza...the green space...the plaza, etc. then, from there..you "sprinkle" in select retail, entertainment, fitness then..a few select high end restaurants for those with greater means.

I don't disagree with you, but I think it should be remembered that much of what is found in the "great urban centers" is geared toward tourists.  

53 minutes ago, MidCenturyMoldy said:

I don't disagree with you, but I think it should be remembered that much of what is found in the "great urban centers" is geared toward tourists.  

tourist come BECAUSE of the urban environment created by the locals.

there are hundreds of mid size city/town examples throughout Europe or South America.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, shasta said:

EXACTLY...nothing screams Urban Synergy more than a sauna and a nail spa.

The juice spot, ice cream shop and workout space, I can live with

There is a reason why the only tenant doing well is the Flight Club (food + drinks + games).

Why is this soooo hard for Houstonians to understand?

Shops and services such as nail salons, sauna studios, and juice bars are part of the mix that creates an urban neighborhood.

• Like 2

Several sign permits were purchased today for Lick Honest Ice Creams:

• Sign site inspection
  • Sign plan review

Details from the permits:

• Use: New Projecting 3 X 2 Lick Honest Ice Creams
  • FCC Group: On premise; new sign; projecting; internal light

The scoop shop is located at 3737 Cogdell St, Suite 130. It one of several ground floor retail tenants at Hanover Parkview, which is part of the Autry Park mixed-use development.

Sign site inspection

pFDGcC9.png

Sign plan review

MVcr4LD.png

kVCXNcP.png

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 5

On 4/18/2024 at 11:45 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Several sign permits were purchased today for Lick Honest Ice Creams:

• Sign site inspection
  • Sign plan review

Details from the permits:

• Use: New Projecting 3 X 2 Lick Honest Ice Creams
  • FCC Group: On premise; new sign; projecting; internal light

The scoop shop is located at 3737 Cogdell St, Suite 130. It one of several ground floor retail tenants at Hanover Parkview, which is part of the Autry Park mixed-use development.

Sign site inspection

pFDGcC9.png

Sign plan review

MVcr4LD.png

kVCXNcP.png

According to a recent press release, Lick Honest Ice Creams opens next week in Autry Park. Community Impact reports the scoop shop will make its debut May 3 at 3737 Cogdell St, Suite 130.

Lick Honest Ice Creams is one of several ground floor retail tenants at Hanover Parkview.

https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/business/2024/04/24/lick-honest-ice-creams-updates-opening-at-houstons-autry-park/