Vertigo58

At some point it would be cheaper to build a monorail than a massive car cabinet per each and every single lot along Allen Parkway that we redevelop.

20 years ago there was a Houston monorail advocacy group.  But monorails can't go the last mile all the places cars can go.  But wait!  Now that the downtown garages have empty space galore, let's just build the parkway monorail from Autry Park to Allen Center and everyone can store their automobiles right there (or board with their bikes from the Pierce Elevated Park).

8 minutes ago, strickn said:

At some point it would be cheaper to build a monorail than a massive car cabinet per each and every single lot along Allen Parkway that we redevelop.

20 years ago there was a Houston monorail advocacy group.  But monorails can't go the last mile all the places cars can go.  But wait!  Now that the downtown garages have empty space galore, let's just build the parkway monorail from Autry Park to Allen Center and everyone can store their automobiles right there (or board with their bikes from the Pierce Elevated Park).

Why monorail? 

But I do think a Dallas-Gray circulator could be useful.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 004n063 said:

Why monorail? 

But I do think a Dallas-Gray circulator could be useful.

Doesn't block access to the bayou, better view of the bayou, better insulation from grade-level traffic than it would have at grade on Dallas, and of course floodproofed.

An el that went along Dallas to/from Shepherd and came back Washington Avenue would have similar traffic-skipping and overview-of-the-landscape benefits.

A bus circulator following the same route would just be a slower and less atmospheric version of a streetcar system.

Edited by strickn

I don't remember what advantage monorail was forecast to have vs people mover or elevated train.  Possibly it was some greater simplicity of maintenance to wear surfaces, plus some kind of superior future ability to be heavy rain and wind-proofed for regular operation during public advisory/emergency events.

Train trestles are universally expensive so there may have been an idea that you could install a precast monorail span that simply spanned an entire six-lane intersection and be done with that.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, strickn said:

I don't remember what advantage monorail was forecast to have vs people mover or elevated train.  Possibly it was some greater simplicity of maintenance to wear surfaces, plus some kind of superior future ability to be heavy rain and wind-proofed for regular operation during public advisory/emergency events.

Train trestles are universally expensive so there may have been an idea that you could install a precast monorail span that simply spanned an entire six-lane intersection and be done with that.

Interesting - I was unaware of cost benefits, but it makes sense vis-a-vis elevated heavy rail, and presumably elevated light rail as well?

But it's still much more expensive than ground-level light rail, I would think. And I don't think traffic problems are inherent if the design is good - the red line is extremely reliable, for example, despite running at grade.

The view from the train part is totally true, but I'm not sure that's an entirely valid reason to increase costs. I disagree about views of the bayou, because at grade it's only partly obstructed for a few seconds while the train passes; elevated means there will always be tracks in the way.

All of that being said, I just don't see Allen Parkway as a valid transit corridor - not nearly enough trips start and end along it. (Memorial Drive, on the other hand...there's an idea...)

But this is a thread about Hanover Autry Park, so we should probably stop...derailing it with our transit fantasies.

• Like 1

Was in Autry Park over the lunch hour.  Noticed City Boots is going in next to MF, according to their instagram they are opening February 16th.  Surprised Autry Park hasn't done any PR on this or has anything on their pages, but looks like a cool retail concept and love that both circular pods are leased and will be open in the next few weeks. 

Also there was signage up for 'COMA' in the space nextdoor to Turner's Cut.  Looked like more of a workplace, but unclear what the business is.

https://cityboots.com/ 

Edited by CREguy13
  • Like 8