Drewery Place: Multifamily High-Rise At 2850 Fannin St.

Urbannizer

15 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

I'm a bit disappointed that it's going to take three years. The existing building broke ground in November of 2017 and was pretty much completed two years later. 

Just the building under construction is going to have a profound impact on the immediate area. Maybe this phase will finally kick-start the neighbors to develop their lots so that there will be multiple projects turning dirt before this tower wraps up. Which reminds me, I haven't heard anything else about the AMCAL tower that was planned down the street.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, phillip_white said:

Just the building under construction is going to have a profound impact on the immediate area. Maybe this phase will finally kick-start the neighbors to develop their lots so that there will be multiple projects turning dirt before this tower wraps up. Which reminds me, I haven't heard anything else about the AMCAL tower that was planned down the street.

From friends in the food/service industry who have tried to either buy or have actually leased places close to there and a little further up the road closer to 59, alot of those lots are owned by people waiting for the big payday or demanding (in my opinion) incredible rents. I could actually see it go the other way, where they look at this and think "I'll just wait for the next Caydon to buy me out." 

Any yeah, whats going on with the AMCAL tower!

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, phillip_white said:

I see what you're saying and agree with it. I'd love to see this corridor filled all the way to the Museum District.
It's the actual construction of these buildings that can be a pain in the neck (or elsewhere). Remember what a long, dragged-out process  the construction of Camden McGowen Station was? How, months after the majority of the construction was complete, the sidewalks were still impassible? 
Closing a sidewalk can cause real inconvenience, especially because of the "superblocks" that interrupt Midtown's street grid - the "you can't get there from here" syndrome.  Going to a destination only a block or two away can mean having to walk several blocks, and having even more sidewalks blocked off complicates things.  
Of course it takes time and causes some inconvenience to construct a new building. I accept that.
But please, the less time and inconvenience, the better.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, X.R. said:

From friends in the food/service industry who have tried to either buy or have actually leased places close to there and a little further up the road closer to 59, alot of those lots are owned by people waiting for the big payday or demanding (in my opinion) incredible rents. I could actually see it go the other way, where they look at this and think "I'll just wait for the next Caydon to buy me out." 

If everyone waits, they may spend a fortune in property taxes before they hit the jackpot. The valuations are gonna get insane with both Drewery Place and this new tower on the tax rolls. 

1 hour ago, dbigtex56 said:

I see what you're saying and agree with it. I'd love to see this corridor filled all the way to the Museum District.
It's the actual construction of these buildings that can be a pain in the neck (or elsewhere). Remember what a long, dragged-out process  the construction of Camden McGowen Station was? How, months after the majority of the construction was complete, the sidewalks were still impassible? 
Closing a sidewalk can cause real inconvenience, especially because of the "superblocks" that interrupt Midtown's street grid - the "you can't get there from here" syndrome.  Going to a destination only a block or two away can mean having to walk several blocks, and having even more sidewalks blocked off complicates things.  
Of course it takes time and causes some inconvenience to construct a new building. I accept that.
But please, the less time and inconvenience, the better.

Totally agree, but there's not much to walk to on this side of the tracks at the moment. I can see that being a headache as the other lots are developed later.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Paco Jones said:

Project:

Tower A (Hotel and Condos)

Address:

2701 Main Street

Houston, TX 77002

Architect:

Preston Partnership

Information:

A 32-story hotel/condo with exterior amenities at levels 9 and 32. 

Hotel restaurant/bar (3,200 SF), co-working area with conference room (1,200 SF), and 1,165 SF of retail at level 1

Parking at levels 2 - 6

Ballrooms at level 7

Fitness at level 8

Outdoor dining, dog run, and yoga at level 9 along with two swimming pools

Outdoor garden area and pool at level 32

183 hotel units (level 10 - level 18)

191 condo units (level 9 and level 19 thru level 32)

558,000 total square foot

Future tower at Fannin side.

4bWbUc8.png

8JOFgTE.png

Did I read you correct that the hotel restaurant/bar and co-working area are also on level 1, or just the 1,165 sf retail space?

Also, any word on when this breaks ground?

Thanks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paco Jones said:

All of the above. 

Restaurant/bar, co-working space, and small retail are on level 1.The only other notable space at level 1 is the hotel lounge (approx. 1,900 SF).

No, I've heard nothing. 

If I had to guess then probably 4-8 months, assuming no issues.  Foundation should be going out for permit soon, if it has not already.  Something like this will usually take about (2) years to complete.  Just my opinion.  

Also, please excuse me if I come across dry in my posts.  I am just not able to articulate myself in written word the way I can when speaking to someone face-to-face.  

That's fine, you don't come across as dry. Wouldn't change a thing.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, dbigtex56 said:

Appears to be the view from Main Street (not Fannin) based on the Red Line tracks in the foreground.

This hotel/condo will take up half the block.  The Fannin side of the block is referenced as being for the "future tower" (based on what I have seen).  I don't have any info on that or the other planed mid/hi-rises.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, MarathonMan said:

Looks to me like the crane is being used to do some exterior work on Drewery Place.  Can’t imagine they’d need a crane, much less one extended that far, for work done on on an empty lot.

Yeah, you're right . . . . they started using it to move stuff onto the pool deck. 😭

Well, guess this thread'll go back to hibernation for another month or so. What a tease!

edit: crane packed up and left, nothing's changed with the new site except an old dumpster full of demo garbage is gone that I'm pretty sure was removed a few weeks ago.

Edited by HouTXRanger
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...