Citizens Of Montrose At 907 Westheimer Rd.

cosmic08

it was on and off busy when it was the ice cream shop, then jam packed when they added the unicorn them for awhile on saturdays and sundays especially....but then it became only mildly busy on the weekends. the rolled ice cream was good but the cookies and cake were horrible and overpriced in my opinion. and yes unfortunately i am an expert on sweets haha! 🥴

(honestly that area needed something like this just not this place... something more cool and not trendy for montrose )

Edited by gene
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, gene said:

it was on and off busy when it was the ice cream shop, then jam packed when they added the unicorn them for awhile on saturdays and sundays especially....but then it became only mildly busy on the weekends. the rolled ice cream was good but the cookies and cake were horrible and overpriced in my opinion. and yes unfortunately i am an expert on sweets haha! 🥴

(honestly that area needed something like this just not this place... something more cool and not trendy for montrose )

milk + sugar has the best ice cream in Montrose and Houston.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, clutchcity94 said:

milk + sugar has the best ice cream in Montrose and Houston.

amen to that! the BEST is their Hello Summer!!!!!!!!!!! it's so good that when they discontinued it last fall i begged them to keep it and call it Goodbye Summer! haha! 😋

On 7/30/2020 at 9:10 AM, clutchcity94 said:

haha! I’m a big fan of their strawberry almond cheesecake

that is good but i asked them if they would lessen the almond flavor and they said no ;) but strawberry cheesecake ice cream is a favorite and honestly THE best for that is Cheesecake Factory Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream which i have found at both Target and Randalls. It seriously blows my mind! 

what in the heck was this topic about?!?! ha! 

oh yeah... 900 Westheimer... 

Edited by gene

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

We tried FM Kitchen., 907 Westheimer. It took us a while because of all the bumps with Covid. The decoration very modern with backless wooden stool seating sorta like sitting at the bar but different-lol.Also regular  booths. There was draft beer from local breweries $8- and super terrific upscale French dip type sandwich big enough to share $15- Best thing fried pickles- so yummy.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, clutchcity94 said:

I remember that Taco Cabana! When did it switch over to Smoothie King?

It's been a pretty long time. I recall the warnings about not ever, under any circumstances, using the Taco Cabana bathroom. One person said "better to wet yourself than risk entering there". 

The property changed owners in 2003, so it may have been then that Smoothie King took over.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, august948 said:

Every time I see that Smoothie King I think wistfully of the Taco Cabana it used to be.

I think wistfully of the far-superior Two Pesos it used to be, before it got converted to a Taco Cabana as a result of Two Pesos winding up on the losing end of trade-dress litigation. 

But neither one of them could hold a candle to the BBQ place it used to be in the mid-1980s, the name of which escapes me now. They had a substantial beef po-boy that frequently fortified me during the winter when I was living in an unheated apartment a few blocks away on Stanford. They wound up moving to a new location outside Montrose after a few years but didn't last very long in the new location. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, mkultra25 said:

I think wistfully of the far-superior Two Pesos it used to be, before it got converted to a Taco Cabana as a result of Two Pesos winding up on the losing end of trade-dress litigation. 

But neither one of them could hold a candle to the BBQ place it used to be in the mid-1980s, the name of which escapes me now. They had a substantial beef po-boy that frequently fortified me during the winter when I was living in an unheated apartment a few blocks away on Stanford. They wound up moving to a new location outside Montrose after a few years but didn't last very long in the new location. 

Ahh...Two Pesos.  There was one in Atlanta that I used to go to when I lived there.  That and Taco Bell were the best Atlanta could do at the time for Mexican food.  Not sure if that has changed at all in the last 20 years or so.

19 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

But neither one of them could hold a candle to the BBQ place it used to be in the mid-1980s, the name of which escapes me now.

Ditto.
I remember the BBQ, which was delicious, and the outdoor seating area, but cannot remember its name.  Was sorry to see it go.

1 hour ago, dbigtex56 said:

Ditto.
I remember the BBQ, which was delicious, and the outdoor seating area, but cannot remember its name.  Was sorry to see it go.

I found a reference to it being incorporated in August 1984 as Willie's Grand Prize BBQ, Inc.  I have to confess that name doesn't ring a bell, but you know what they say about memory.

https://opencorporates.com/companies/us_tx/0071640800 

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Westheimer & Montrose - 900 Westheimer Rd.
  • 3 weeks later...

Posts about the Montrose location of FM Kitchen located in this retail development (address of restaurant is 907 Westheimer Rd, though it seems someone removed the Google Map listing altogether instead of marking it permanently closed).

On 7/13/2022 at 3:02 PM, nate4l1f3 said:

On a related note (can’t find proper thread) I believe the FM Kitchen location on Westheimer in Montrose has closed. Their website no longer mentions this location and when I drove by it was closed with a sign on the door. 

12 hours ago, BigRed said:

I love me some FM Kitchen but after 2 visits to the Westheimer spot - I can see why it closed. Really lousy parking and that building could not handle summer heat or even spring for that matter,.. SO insanely hot.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2022 at 6:49 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Posts about the Montrose location of FM Kitchen located in this retail development (address of restaurant is 907 Westheimer Rd, though it seems someone removed the Google Map listing altogether instead of marking it permanently closed).

On a related note (can’t find proper thread) I believe the FM Kitchen location on Westheimer in Montrose has closed. Their website no longer mentions this location and when I drove by it was closed with a sign on the door. 

On 7/14/2022 at 6:40 PM, BigRed said:

I love me some FM Kitchen but after 2 visits to the Westheimer spot - I can see why it closed. Really lousy parking and that building could not handle summer heat or even spring for that matter,.. SO insanely hot.

Article from CultureMap today about FM Kitchen closing its Montrose location in June at 907 Westheimer.

"In response to CultureMap’s request for comment about the closure, the restaurant provided a statement from operating partner Jason Mok:

'We appreciate the Montrose community for supporting us over the past 12 months. We have some cool changes and new opportunities planned for the space.'"

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/08-15-22-fm-kitchen-bar-restaurant-montrose-closed-shuttered/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Article from CultureMap today about FM Kitchen closing its Montrose location in June at 907 Westheimer.

"In response to CultureMap’s request for comment about the closure, the restaurant provided a statement from operating partner Jason Mok:

'We appreciate the Montrose community for supporting us over the past 12 months. We have some cool changes and new opportunities planned for the space.'"

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/08-15-22-fm-kitchen-bar-restaurant-montrose-closed-shuttered/

Another Pickle Ball concept... lets see how this ages

11 minutes ago, BigRed said:

To be clear, the pickle ball concept is going in next to their Shepherd/Washington corridor location, not at 900 Westheimer.

Also, it's good to see Houston media right on top of things, as usual.  FM Kitchen was closed, with the same message posted on their door, 6 weeks ago. 

• Like 2

• The title was changed to 900 Westheimer Rd.
13 hours ago, BigRed said:

As @Houston19514 pointed out, the pickleball concept is coming to the Washington Corridor. The topic about it is on the forum:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/33067-shepnett-square-development-at-shepherd-dr-center-st/

The way I read the statement FM Kitchen & Bar provided to Culturemap, the business is still leasing the space. There are plans for another concept that could open in FM Kitchen's former Montrose unit.

FM Kitchen & Bar's statement from the article:

"We have some cool changes and new opportunities planned for the space..."

• Like 3

• 7 months later...
On 7/15/2022 at 6:49 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

On 7/14/2022 at 6:40 PM, BigRed said:

Citizens / Citizens of Montrose is leasing FM Kitchen's former unit at 907 Westheimer Rd, Suite C. It's an all-day cafe from New York City serving breakfast, brunch, and coffee.

The restaurant is billed as an Australian / Aussie cafe. However, the menu doesn't seem to have Australian fare. 

https://citizens.coffee

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 3/20/2023 at 10:44 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Citizens / Citizens of Montrose is leasing FM Kitchen's former unit at 907 Westheimer Rd, Suite C. It's an all-day cafe from New York City serving breakfast, brunch, and coffee.

The restaurant is billed as an Australian / Aussie cafe. However, the menu doesn't seem to have Australian fare. 

Today, CultureMap published an article about Citizens / Citizens of Montrose. This is an all-day Australian cafe from NYC. It's opening in FM Kitchen's former space at 907 Westheimer Rd, Suite C.

Citizens aims to open in June, according to CultureMap.

From CultureMap:

An Australian-inspired cafe from New York City is coming to Houston. Citizens will open its first Houston location in the former FM Kitchen space at 907 Westheimer Rd.

...the 3,500-square-foot space will look the part courtesy of a design by Geisel, who trained as an architect before becoming a restaurateur. Details include an outdoor waiting area with self-serve beer and coffee taps, vintage photographs of Australia, and wallpaper that depicts a young Queen Elizabeth II. 

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/citizens-cafe-coffee-shop-montrose-2023/

There is also mention of Citizens in today's Houston Press' Openings & Closings:

https://www.houstonpress.com/houston/Print?oid=15695779

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Today, CultureMap published an article about Citizens / Citizens of Montrose. This is an all-day Australian cafe from NYC. It's opening in FM Kitchen's former space at 907 Westheimer Rd, Suite C.

From CultureMap:

An Australian-inspired cafe from New York City is coming to Houston. Citizens will open its first Houston location in the former FM Kitchen space at 907 Westheimer Rd.

...the 3,500-square-foot space will look the part courtesy of a design by Geisel, who trained as an architect before becoming a restaurateur. Details include an outdoor waiting area with self-serve beer and coffee taps, vintage photographs of Australia, and wallpaper that depicts a young Queen Elizabeth II. 

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/citizens-cafe-coffee-shop-montrose-2023/

There is also mention of Citizens in today's Houston Press' Openings & Closings:

Is it just my imagination or do Australian cafes seem to originate in NYC of late?

On 3/20/2023 at 10:44 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

On 5/19/2023 at 12:04 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

From CultureMap:

Below are renderings of Citizens / Citizens of Montrose. The renderings were included in a Houston Chronicle article.

Citizens is an all-day Australian cafe opening this summer at 907 Westheimer Rd, Suite C.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/food-culture/restaurants-bars/article/citizens-of-montrose-australian-cafe-restaurant-18118548.php

hzl0lbi.jpg

Lx7Mh4g.jpg

• Like 2

Since this is from Australia, I 'm hoping the outdoor seating will be an oasis- all the concrete on Westheimer just magnifies the heat.

shade, moving air, and  comfy seating, perhaps a bit of greenery to soak up street noise, those are what I'm hoping for.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Citizens Of Montrose At 907 Westheimer Rd.