The Eclipse: Proposed Skyscraper At 2000 Persa St.

This zydeco company owns the land, they apparently filed some stuff with the FAA, and apparently replatted into a subdivision named Artesian Eclipse...but...if you go on google maps, there is a sign request sealed bids to sell the property with a March 2015 date if you look in the street view.  A zydeco email address is listed as one of the contacts so it seems they are selling the property not developing it.

If my memory serves me right, I recall seeing that sign last year. I was by the site a couple of weeks ago. That sign is no longer on the property. They have some information for leasing space but the building looks abandoned and every space appears empty. Maybe they tried to sell the building and got limited interest, especially if they are still the owner on record. Keep in mind the FAA activity is pretty recent, so that might offer clues as to the current status.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe Zydeco is smarter than we think.

They could just be playing an elaborate game of "good cop/bad cop" to pull the old okie doke on the nimbys.

>Be Zydeco

>Know Nimbys will never approve of 700' foot tower

>Release rendering of ugliest tower you can draw up

>Nimbys raise a ruckus

>Release the real rendering, one of the most beautiful, luxurious and classy towers ever seen

>Nimbys fall in love with the 700' tower and decide "ahh what the heck, BUILD IT!"

>??????

>Profit

54 floors is a different story. Take a drive through there and look at all the activity. Everything going up is $1 million and more.

I drove around there yesterday. Zig-zagging through Kirby & San Felipe (gawking at the homes, the elaborate lawns).

Such a tall building so very close to the giant mansions is really pushing it. Hines' office building peaks out on a few streets. I know you can catch the AIG building and Wells Fargo Plaza, but the new office building is a little up close and personal.

The transition from 2-3 story homes quickly jumps up at the 4-5 story "European" townhouses, then right there is the BBVA Compass Building and the Huntingdon next door to a well to do Elementary School. The alleyway that is San Felipe/Vernont at this point suddenly turns into high density.

I'll all for capitalism and more freeing use of land but I dont blame them for fighting it.

Maybe Zydeco is smarter than we think.

They could just be playing an elaborate game of "good cop/bad cop" to pull the old okie doke on the nimbys.

>Be Zydeco

>Know Nimbys will never approve of 700' foot tower

>Release rendering of ugliest tower you can draw up

>Nimbys raise a ruckus

>Release the real rendering, one of the most beautiful, luxurious and classy towers ever seen

>Nimbys fall in love with the 700' tower and decide "ahh what the heck, BUILD IT!"

>??????

>Profit

I was actually thinking just this. However, I would be thinking more 400 ft.

This seems even less likely than the Ivy Lofts, but I hope this is built - it just defies logic

But seriously, I feel like there is some sort of optical illusion with that pool.  Is that supposed to be for the entire complex?

In many ways, the work of an architect is easy. They risk very little, yet enjoy a position over those who offer to live in their work. Not everyone thrives on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth architects must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when an architect truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the *new*. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations. The new needs friends. When these renderings were leaked, we experienced something new: an extraordinary building from a singularly unexpected source. To say that both this tower and its maker have challenged our preconceptions about fine architecture is a gross understatement.

In many ways, the work of an architect is easy. They risk very little, yet enjoy a position over those who offer to live in their work. Not everyone thrives on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth architects must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when an architect truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the *new*. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations. The new needs friends. When these renderings were leaked, we experienced something new: an extraordinary building from a singularly unexpected source. To say that both this tower and its maker have challenged our preconceptions about fine architecture is a gross understatement.

Supposing it got built, everyone who saw it would say, "what the hell is that thing?", in the way you might react to a guy dressed as a wookie on a city bus.   

Build it, bring the awesome.

Supposing it got built, everyone who saw it would say, "what the hell is that thing?", in the way you might react to a guy dressed as a wookie on a city bus.   

Build it, bring the awesome.

This really depends on which city you are talking about... In Tokyo it's probably no big deal... But try this in Mogadishu and you'd have a whole different scenario.

This would become the Tour Montparnasse of Houston, ugly and out of place. Maybe they should consider the uptown area. Still ugly but not so out of place.

At least Montparnasse was built of similar style at the time.

This looks like a bizarre 90's proposal (almost as terrifying as that green cathedral building that was proposed in LA).

The renderings are amatuer, the base doesn't make sense. The whole tower really, the windows are tiny and very few and far between. The shape is cool, but really looks like a bad amatuer skyscraper on the STEX for sim city 4. Something like a nightmare from a low budget film. Imagine how bad the actual product would be knowing how much it could change from the rendering.

it really looks odd. It looks so slender and the floor count doesn't match the FAA height for the site.

Edit: the crown doesn't look high enough for it. I counted 35 floors.

This kinda sounds like a short essay out of a first year liberal arts student, but I get the point. I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

The proposed construction is for a permmanent, 58-floor, residential tower in Houston, TX. The proposed construction is a Type-I, cast-in-place concrete structure w/ an exterior glass, stone and metal panel curtain wall system.

Archived