I feel like the renders that TMC puts out fail to do justice to the scale of this development. Every time I drive by and see it, it's almost jarring. Sure, it doesn't have the height of MDA's mid-campus building. But the size of all of it together...it's massive. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, X.R. said:

This all looks so ridiculously well built. And whats crazy is there is relatively little press about the continued construction despite it A) looking great, GREEN, and massive already and B) moving at a brisk pace. The brisk pace is interesting because it makes me wonder how soon some of the entities are coming on-line since when they do, I can only imagine the deluge of announcements that will come about different ventures and such. You'd think local business coverage would be providing regular updates, but alas, no. I wish there would be more reporting about such a large change to one of Houston's largest business engines. Strange.

Are you just now noticing the general incompetence of Houston's media and their disinterest in reporting positive news?  ;-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, X.R. said:

This all looks so ridiculously well built. And whats crazy is there is relatively little press about the continued construction despite it A) looking great, GREEN, and massive already and B) moving at a brisk pace. The brisk pace is interesting because it makes me wonder how soon some of the entities are coming on-line since when they do, I can only imagine the deluge of announcements that will come about different ventures and such. You'd think local business coverage would be providing regular updates, but alas, no. I wish there would be more reporting about such a large change to one of Houston's largest business engines. Strange.

^^^ actually, this is what happens when your have a WHOLE LOT OF MONEY and can actually get things accomplished the right way.  additionally, what we do not see here is... get ready for it... VALUE ENGINEERING! 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2023 at 1:05 PM, X.R. said:

The media is only interested in reporting scandal and ugliness. I tell my students studying to be nurses and medical techs,  about these projects, and not one has heard of them. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

The media is only interested in reporting scandal and ugliness. I tell my students studying to be nurses and medical techs,  about these projects, and not one has heard of them. 

well who needs legacy media when we got dudes like @hindesky @Highrise Tower @cityliving @Urbannizer @Paco Jones @IntheKnowHouston and on and on and on.  What these individuals and many others on this platform do is by far a closer definition to journalism than legacy media. Regular people who are curious and open to all knowledge wherever it might appear, asking questions, and informing the public of what is going on is the path of least resistance to restoring journalism. Alright I'll get off my soap box this morning.

On 4/24/2023 at 3:41 PM, Texasota said:

Actually this is the result of value engineering. Otherwise we would have gotten James Corner's original design.

Maybe the lesson is actually start with best project you possibly can so it stays impressive *even after* being value engineered. 

If this is a relative comparison from one architects design to another architects design then this wouldn't be an example of value engineering. Value engineering is something that is done within a project. My guess is there was an RFP that was passed out long ago so TMC could simply get their head around what is actually possible and would motivate investors to dump money into this facility. There are many large projects by big institutions that do this all the time. The original DNA building was pretty legit, but its entire purpose was to solicit investment. Then they approached an architect that they believed could give them the best bang for their buck, or the buildings that we are seeing built. If compared to the earliest versions of the current design it's pretty close to what was advertise. There were certainly opportunities to value engineering this current version. If done in the schematic design or design development phase then value engineering is in the hands of the architect, and not the contractor. If in the construction document, bidding, or construction administration phases then its "Value Engineering" or what a friend of mine has termed "Quality Abatement."

I think as a whole each institution is doing exactly what they need to do to get things rolling with this. Whoever is managing these projects are great. The amount of chaos and coordination for a project like this is near ridiculous. All happening in tandem. One building clearly was broken down into two phases, but the part that is built can function on its own to get people working while the other half is built. Total craziness. Hats off to the teams for this one.

On 4/24/2023 at 12:05 PM, X.R. said:

This is going to take some time. Nobody gave a crap about SpaceX until they actually flew a rocket that works. We here are a different breed because we not only care about what works, but also why it works, and how it works. When this is finally finished, and research commences, and thousands flock here for training, and research, and this center of gravity starts to pull Houston in a new direction...only then will people take notice. The good thing is that we all here notice, and our investment in knowledge has us at the ground floor while the general public will get on the elevator near the top.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I was genuinely wondering what was taking you so long to correct my imperfect use of "value engineering" Luminare.

From what I've heard, the change in architects was somewhat of a surprise to at least some involved though. Not value engineering in the technical sense, but morally equivalent (just at a much earlier phase in the design process).

• Like 1

On 4/24/2023 at 2:58 PM, Houston19514 said:

Are you just now noticing the general incompetence of Houston's media and their disinterest in reporting positive news?  ;-)

Hahah, no I am not. The Chronicle and Houston Bizjourno do an OK job in my opinion, although the Chron is late to the party typically. I agree with yall, @Twinsanity02 @Luminare

My only thing is that if this were most other cities, a potential influx of this much business and job would be monitored in a much closer fashion. Maybe Houston businesses appreciate the ability to fly under the radar, but there's always a certain element of "we're open for business" to these kinds of projects and that's just not being capitalized on from a city/media perspective. The local media's success is in part derived from the success of the city, so I group them together in this respect. 

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Texasota said:

I was genuinely wondering what was taking you so long to correct my imperfect use of "value engineering" Luminare.

From what I've heard, the change in architects was somewhat of a surprise to at least some involved though. Not value engineering in the technical sense, but morally equivalent (just at a much earlier phase in the design process).

I just don't care for broadening of definitions. I already despise value engineering enough, I don't need to hear it too when an architect is replaced or not chosen, or "oh know, the horror" of someone being shocked or angry by a clients decision to "oh the humanity" look out for their own interests.

By definition, definitions are technical...that's what a definition is...

Moral equivalent? As much as I despise value engineering, value engineering is not a moral judgement. Value engineering is a very hard economical judgement. I've never heard a contractor say "we are taking this out because we just don't like you as a person." The relationship between Architect and Contractor has always been frenetic, but if the conversation gets to that point its no longer a disagreement about budget or even architecture, that is just good old fashioned disagreement and misunderstanding. Here's the thing too, that economic judgement is on the Architect, and contractually then have to fix it. I can understand, because architects have a bit of ego, that one might get personally offended at the thought of having to replace one material over another, but just because your feelings are hurt does not mean that value engineering is a "value" judgement on you. So no their isn't a moral equivalent definition of value engineering either.

Surprise? That to me sounds like hubris. Oh we were so confident this architect was going to get the nod, that we didn't even dare consider that the client might actually think different.

Again I actually prefer the original design too, but then again I'm not the client responsible for millions of dollars of investor capital.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cityliving said:

BTx7uNF.jpg

Does anyone know if that final lot on the upper right will be part of this project?

Also, any sense of what kind of treatment the street crossings will get? Would be awesome to have crossing tables at a continuous grade that asserted pedestrian priority.

Anyways, great photos, CL!

Edited by 004n063
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, 004n063 said:

Does anyone know if that final lot on the upper right will be part of this project?

Also, any sense of what kind of treatment the street crossings will get? Would be awesome to have crossing tables at a continuous grade that asserted pedestrian priority.

Anyways, great photos, CL!

^^^ one would assume that the lot in question, shall be the forthcoming hotel and condo development...

• Like 2