13 minutes ago, Texasota said:

A little disappointed by the on-street bike lanes. Given the scale of the street its ok, but since it was built brand new from scratch I'd have liked to see *all* the bike lanes elevated/fully protected. 

Either that or just narrow  mixed/"cars are guests" lanes where nobody's going more than 10-15mph anyway. I mean, is there really need for cars to pass bikes within the HP development? I can't really imagine there is.

Rode through East River recently and had the same thought. 

I really think all bike lanes on urban streets are really more car infrastructure than anything else. 

On the other hand, I think the size and typical speed of the average car these days is so deeply ingrained that most people who aren't already confident on-street cyclists aren't going to start biking without dedicated infrastructure, and I care more (right now) about expanding the biking base than having universally optimal design.

Moreover, I'm always a little hesitant to complain about new bike infrastructure when the network is still in such desperate need of expansion. (The only new infra I've seen that actually makes biking less safe are the intersection-only lanes with no signal differentiation on Woodhead, Hawthorne, and Taft. Not using those until they segregate the signals.)

It really is brutal. Especially, too, considering those trees are a bit older, and it’s hard on them to be transplanted in the first place. The heat and drought have not been too kind to the trees this year! Feels a lot like 2011, but hopefully it won’t get that dry again and we may see some rain soon. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

On 6/8/2023 at 10:38 AM, stuckINdallas said:

This is what Bard says..

Q: Which city is better for the ARPA-H hub? Dallas or Houston?

Both Dallas and Houston are excellent candidates for the ARPA-H hub. However, there are some key differences between the two cities that may make one a better fit than the other.

Dallas

Dallas is a major financial and business hub, with a strong economy and a large pool of talent.
The city is home to a number of top universities, including UT Southwestern Medical Center and Southern Methodist University.
Dallas has a relatively low cost of living, making it an attractive place for businesses and individuals.
The city has a strong track record of attracting and retaining top talent in the life sciences industry.

Houston

Houston is home to the Texas Medical Center, the largest medical complex in the world.
The city has a strong track record of attracting and retaining top talent in the life sciences industry.
Houston has a relatively low cost of living, making it an attractive place for businesses and individuals.
The city has a strong track record of innovation and collaboration in the life sciences industry.
Ultimately, the decision of which city will host the ARPA-H hub will come down to a number of factors, including the strength of the bids, the political climate, and the availability of funding. However, both Dallas and Houston are excellent candidates and either city would be a great fit for the hub.

Q: If Houston is home to the Texas Medical Center, the largest medical complex in the world, wouldn't it be a better choice? 

Yes, Houston's location in the Texas Medical Center, the largest medical complex in the world, would certainly be a big plus for the city's bid to host the ARPA-H hub. The Texas Medical Center is home to over 100 hospitals and research institutions, and it attracts top talent from around the world. This would provide a strong foundation for the ARPA-H hub, which is expected to create thousands of jobs and generate billions of dollars in economic activity.

In addition to the Texas Medical Center, Houston also has a strong track record of innovation and collaboration in the life sciences industry. The city is home to a number of startups and established companies, and it is a major center for research and development. This would provide a fertile environment for the ARPA-H hub to thrive.

However, it is important to note that Dallas also has a strong bid for the ARPA-H hub. The city is home to a number of top universities, including UT Southwestern Medical Center and Southern Methodist University. Dallas also has a strong track record of attracting and retaining top talent in the life sciences industry.

Ultimately, the decision of which city will host the ARPA-H hub will come down to a number of factors, including the strength of the bids, the political climate, and the availability of funding. However, both Houston and Dallas are excellent candidates and either city would be a great fit for the hub.

Dallas Morning News article today states that ARPA-H sites should be announced this Fall.  Here is the link:  https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2023/09/14/next-phase-moves-ahead-at-dallas-blossoming-biotech-hub-pegasus-park/

and a blurb…

The impact of Pegasus Park on the Dallas area can’t be overstated,” said Tyler Whitaker, vice president and division manager of Swinerton’s Dallas office, in a statement.

Pegasus Park is being promoted by a coalition of Texas cities as a potential site for the federal government’s new biomedical research agency. For more than a year, science advocates conducted a targeted campaign to convince lawmakers that Texas is the right fit for the $2.5 billion Advanced Research Projects Agency for Health, a Biden administration undertaking to accelerate biomedical health and technology discoveries.

Dallas leaders joined forces with Austin and San Antonio in a bid to win one of three coveted ARPA-H sites. One will be in Washington, D.C., and the remaining two are expected to be announced this fall.

The battle for the ARPA-H hub will be competitive, with the Dallas, Austin and San Antonio delegation likely up against bids from biotech homes like California’s Silicon Valley or North Carolina’s Research Triangle. A Houston coalition spearheaded by the Texas Medical Center also is competing for one.

Since announcement of the bidding process back in April 2022 I counted at least 3 articles in the DMN cheerleading the Dallas coalition.  The Houston Comical has printed exactly ZERO articles.  🤨  Let’s hope credentials win out on this one and not politics.  It is rare that Houston and Dallas go head-to-head on these types of bids.  Fingers crossed for Houston.

• Like 7

If Texas wins the 2nd Hub, I'll be SHOCKED if it's Dallas and not Houston.  Hub No. 2 is focused on enhancing clinical trials for diverse patient populations.  I'm pretty sure TMC performs more clinical trials than anywhere in the world and we're the most diverse city in the United States.

I have to assume that all the hospital presidents, major TMC stakeholders, and our represented officials at every level of government are pushing hard because of the opportunity and how perfect a fit Houston is.  I don't think Dallas can win this one

• Like 9

4 hours ago, CREguy13 said:

If Texas wins the 2nd Hub, I'll be SHOCKED if it's Dallas and not Houston.  Hub No. 2 is focused on enhancing clinical trials for diverse patient populations.  I'm pretty sure TMC performs more clinical trials than anywhere in the world and we're the most diverse city in the United States.

I have to assume that all the hospital presidents, major TMC stakeholders, and our represented officials at every level of government are pushing hard because of the opportunity and how perfect a fit Houston is.  I don't think Dallas can win this one

Don’t underestimate what Dallas is capable of.  The Texas centennial celebration was held in Dallas for no logical reason.  Dallas was not relevant to Texas independence.  There were no battles fought in that part of the state…but Dallas paid off the right people to get the festivities held there in 1936.  Dallas’ Fair Park would not be what it is today without that Centennial Exposition.  Houston city leaders need to be on their game to win this.

• Like 4

On 9/14/2023 at 3:54 PM, steve1363 said:

Dallas Morning News article today states that ARPA-H sites should be announced this Fall.  Here is the link:  https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2023/09/14/next-phase-moves-ahead-at-dallas-blossoming-biotech-hub-pegasus-park/

and a blurb…

Since announcement of the bidding process back in April 2022 I counted at least 3 articles in the DMN cheerleading the Dallas coalition.  The Houston Comical has printed exactly ZERO articles.  🤨  Let’s hope credentials win out on this one and not politics.  It is rare that Houston and Dallas go head-to-head on these types of bids.  Fingers crossed for Houston.

I did find one article in the Chronicle. https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Texas-makes-case-to-Biden-to-host-new-medical-17070715.php

• Like 1