• The title was changed to TMC Helix Park: Texas Medical Center BioResearch Campus
  • The title was changed to TMC Helix Park: Texas Medical Center Bio Research Campus
42 minutes ago, Highrise Tower said:

The TMC now has a commercial website! It focuses on showing off their 4 campuses. The new website features a 4-minute video of a TMC3 animation that we've never seen before.  I'll post a bunch of new renderings from the video. 

The aggressive facades are just beautiful. A dream!! Really amazing stuff here. 

https://texasmedicalcenter.com/

obsDyov.png

JKNlKb6.png

c4OcFRF.png

3ZU8T2B.png

1swMs0m.png

uIXUrs0.png

HkNKthF.png

7WmOvMl.png

MUV0kPi.png

j88b2TU.png

chgqMXP.png

dbzPnV0.png

o7AbIm4.png

wgaMx5b.png

JjKWW60.png

1BJKSw6.png

Hmmm. Very cool, but it does look a little lacking in the shade. I guess I was hoping for more of a Parque Mexico vibe. Gonna be veeery hot if the renderings are accurate.

• Like 3

Houston needs more of this type of destinations. Yeah it's a Biomedical complex but it has a sense of place.

Too often we focus on the building itself and not with the interaction with the area. 

We have beautiful buildings but then we have to be artful in the way we snap it because it is next to a delapidated strip mall, an old apartment complex or a dated drive through. 

Even in downtown or Uptown you don't get that sense of continuity because a lot of buildings have blank walls or are car garages so the interaction doesn't give off the sense of being a cohesive place.

TMC is sort of different in that the landscaping does sort of unify the area. But TMC Helix park is all cohesive. I do hope it all ends up as shown and future improvements pay homage to the original plan. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 004n063 said:

Hmmm. Very cool, but it does look a little lacking in the shade. I guess I was hoping for more of a Parque Mexico vibe. Gonna be veeery hot if the renderings are accurate.

I see a lot of trees and shade structures in there (and the renderings show young trees; they will get bigger over time...)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

I see a lot of trees and shade structures in there (and the renderings show young trees; they will get bigger over time...)

That's a good point about the young trees. If they're live oaks, they'll get big enough to cover most of the area. And again, it's just a rendering.

I just hope that rather than having shady areas you can go to, it's generally shady, with a couple of sunny spots you can go to.

I do love a majestic live oak, but they take so long to mature that I hope they rely on a wide variety of trees, including other Oaks. 

Sends like they plant these Oaks that are already 4, 5 years old and you come back in 5 years and the are not much bigger. In my back yard,  squirrels bury Red Oak and Water Oak and the ones I leave alone are 15 to 20 feet tall in about 4-5 years.  Sycamores, Ash and Elm turn into sizable trees in just a few years too.

A native tree that I just love that should be used more is the Yaupon holly. 

Again, I don't think they should skip live Oaks altogether, someday they will be majestic, but there are tons of other trees that will give you quick shade and once the live Oaks get bigger these other trees can be thinned out. 

Native Persimmon, Sweet Gum and Pistache usually have brilliant fall colors. 

• Like 8