Memorial Park At 6501 Memorial Dr.

any word on them doing work or improvements on the picnic loop/park? the tables/benches especially need improvements/replacements etc

i forget and can't find mention of it. thanks! 

Edited by gene
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gene said:

any word on them doing work or improvements on the picnic loop/park? the tables/benches especially need improvements/replacements etc

i forget and can't find mention of it. thanks! 

Don't expect any improvements to the picnic loop -- I believe it is due to be replaced with a more natural area and more trails (Bayou wilds section)

image.png.005816511396512e57b4315443611876.png

https://issuu.com/memorialparkhouston/docs/mph_mpbook_final_small_webversion_a_c7f9e7eed3d03c

As someone who bikes in the picnic loop regularly this is pretty sad, it's one of the few car free spots to go bike at night (the lights make it a lot less sketchy than some of the bayou trails) -- the master plan mentions a new bike trail over on the west side of the park, but I have yet to hear any mention of that being built. 

• Like 3

From the document linked above:  "The master plan proposed an improved trail network that addresses serious safety and maintenance issues in the existing trail system. The plan proposes several solutions. First, an extensive multi-use trail system connects to major roads and surrounding neighborhoods outside the park as well as to all major use areas of the park.

"The plan also separates the many trail users on the site into different areas of the park connected by this multi-use trail network. The Seymour Lieberman trail is expanded to 3 miles. A cycle loop is added in the northwest portion of the park to accommodate cyclists who currently use the picnic loop. A quarter mile timing track is introduced next to the existing trails center. The current system of natural surface mountain biking trails are improved and expanded, while pedestrian trails are provided in the more sensitive areas in the Old Archery Range, the Houston Arboretum and Nature Center, and proximate to the bayou on the south side of the park and in Hogg Bird Sanctuary."

• Like 3

Yeah this is mentioned in the 10 year plan but there is no details yet on construction timeline. I worry the picnic loop will be demolished and then it will be years before the new cycle loop is built.

The proposal looks way better than the picnic loop -- especially for the weeknight bike races that used to happen at MP. Def saw someone break their leg crashing into one of those wooden stumps around the edge of the road :(

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I thought drones were prohibited in Memorial Park.

And I'm surprised this is only for car traffic.  I'd think buses and trucks and motorcycles would be allowed, and those nice sidewalks on either side would make me think pedestrians would be allowed too.  The 35 mph speed limit would make me think bicyclists should be allowed too.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, rechlin said:

And I'm surprised this is only for car traffic.  I'd think buses and trucks and motorcycles would be allowed, and those nice sidewalks on either side would make me think pedestrians would be allowed too.  The 35 mph speed limit would make me think bicyclists should be allowed too.

There's a blurb a little farther down that says construction is ongoing, which probably accounts for no mention of bikes or pedestrians. I suspect buses and motorcycles are considered "car traffic"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, rechlin said:

The drone belonged to a Memorial Conservancy employee. I saw him putting it in back in it's case once and talked with him for a while.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, rechlin said:

Perhaps it's been edited, but the article says "vehicle traffic only". I don't see anything about not allowing buses, motorcycles or trucks.  It also says "a commuter trail south of the tunnels will open for bike traffic but until that opens bikes have been rerouted to a new permanent trail on the south side of the Land Bridge and prairie project." 

I think one of the ideas of the master plan is to separate motorized vehicular traffic from bicycle and pedestrian/jogger/runner traffic, so I doubt those "sidewalks" are intended for bicycle or pedestrian use.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Perhaps it's been edited, but the article says "vehicle traffic only". I don't see anything about not allowing buses, motorcycles or trucks.  It also says "a commuter trail south of the tunnels will open for bike traffic but until that opens bikes have been rerouted to a new permanent trail on the south side of the Land Bridge and prairie project." 

I think one of the ideas of the master plan is to separate motorized vehicular traffic from bicycle and pedestrian/jogger/runner traffic, so I doubt those "sidewalks" are intended for bicycle or pedestrian use.

Those look like pedestrian sidewalks to me. It even has bollards and chains which is smart. The bridge also looks like its either standard highway overpass height or a little taller. No reason to ever design a bridge that can't fit a semi or even a double decker bus.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Luminare said:

Those look like pedestrian sidewalks to me. It even has bollards and chains which is smart. The bridge also looks like its either standard highway overpass height or a little taller. No reason to ever design a bridge that can't fit a semi or even a double decker bus.

I asked about this at one of their open houses. The walkways in the tunnels are for emergencies only — there will be separate trail infrastructure for walkers/ bikers outside of the tunnels. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 3/26/2022 at 5:14 PM, Luminare said:

The temporary signs say "This is NOT a sidewalk." I also read that pedestrians are to use separate trails. And anyway, why would anyone in their right mind want to walk through that next to traffic? The noise would be terrible.spacer.png

• Like 7

On 3/26/2022 at 10:30 PM, sapo2367 said:

I asked about this at one of their open houses. The walkways in the tunnels are for emergencies only — there will be separate trail infrastructure for walkers/ bikers outside of the tunnels. 

1 hour ago, MidCenturyMoldy said:

The temporary signs say "This is NOT a sidewalk." I also read that pedestrians are to use separate trails. And anyway, why would anyone in their right mind want to walk through that next to traffic? The noise would be terrible.spacer.png

Hey I'm fine with both explanations. Prefer to have separate travel between car and pedestrians anyway. Though it would be fun to hear the acoustics inside. Besides when since a sign that tells you "this is NOT a sidewalk" ever really stopped anyone from using something that is clearly a sidewalk...not me. Then again I'm the kind of guy that looks at the "closed sidewalk" sign telling you to cross the street, and in return I say "screw them" and keep walking forward haha.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I think it's stupid that you can't walk through them. 

The sidewalks are there, with railings to boot.  Unless they completely fence the approaches off, you might well be able to walk up to and through them with only grassy fields to slow you down.

38 minutes ago, gene said:

I mean the cyclist that ride on the street will be going through them! i can maybe pretend that i am one of those people at least once haha! 😛

Video or it didn't happen.  😛

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Luminare said:

Besides when since a sign that tells you "this is NOT a sidewalk" ever really stopped anyone from using something that is clearly a sidewalk...not me. Then again I'm the kind of guy that looks at the "closed sidewalk" sign telling you to cross the street, and in return I say "screw them" and keep walking forward haha.

The sidewalk on one side is blocked halfway through the tunnel. spacer.png

3 minutes ago, august948 said:

The sidewalks are there, with railings to boot.  Unless they completely fence the approaches off, you might well be able to walk up to and through them with only grassy fields to slow you down.

My guess is some kind of barrier will be installed at some point soon.