Texas Central Project

MaxConcrete

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 3:07 PM, Houston19514 said:

^ I don't know the answer to the question.  But I'm pretty sure no one really cares.  As already mentioned, Amtrak is an irrelevancy 

Wrong again. Apparently Texas Central cares. Amtrak and Texas Central partner to provide ticketing and bus shuttle service:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dallas/2018/05/04/amtrak-jumps-board-texas-bullet-train-ticketing-shuttle-partnership

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dallas/2018/05/04/amtrak-jumps-board-texas-bullet-train-ticketing-shuttle-partnership

Funny thing.  Since the announcement of the Texas Central station site at the Northwest Mall site, we've been told how it was vastly inferior to the Dallas station site in part because it wasn't at the same station as Amtrak.  It turns out that was a lie.  Passengers in both Houston and Dallas will connect from TCR to Amtrak via bus connectors. (And the Dallas stations's connectivity to DART had been oversold as well.)

Edited by Houston19514

Comparing the two Amtrak stations and their connectivity is comparing apples to rutabagas.

Dallas Union Station is less than a mile from the TCR site, is on the edge of downtown (right across the tracks from Reunion), and also serves DART and the Trinity River Express.

image.png

Houston's Amtrak station is about seven miles from the Northwest Mall site and is just grim.

image.png.ec36a7c5fc981fbb888b77d81350b05d.png

On the other hand, there's no reason why Amtrak couldn't relocate to the Northwest Mall site, or near it.

Edited by mollusk
  • Like 5

They could relocate to a better location along the UP line.  Looking at the Sunset limited route, there's a couple of empty lots between downtown and the turn it makes through memorial park

I went to the Amtrak station in Houston when there was some special steam locomotive traveling through town. 

To call that place grim is a kindness.

that locomotive was awesome though, the smell of grease and steam and oil almost overpowered the smell of urine.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, samagon said:

I went to the Amtrak station in Houston when there was some special steam locomotive traveling through town. 

To call that place grim is a kindness.

that locomotive was awesome though, the smell of grease and steam and oil almost overpowered the smell of urine.

That's the last time I was there as well. It's even more depressing to see some of the railroad history stuff they have on display inside the station - it just emphasizes how far passenger rail has fallen since its heyday. Passenger rail was already on life support in the late 1960s, and the railroads were no doubt glad to be relieved of the burden of having to continue to provide passenger service when the Nixon administration effectively nationalized passenger rail operations and consolidated all of the passenger rail lines under the newly-created entity of Amtrak in 1970. 

I can remember going to Union Station with my parents in the late 60s/early 70s. It was certainly a lot more impressive than the shabby, vestigial station that's left now, although I can't honestly say I'd rather have Amtrak operating out of there now instead of the ballpark. 

On 5/9/2018 at 8:10 AM, mollusk said:

Comparing the two Amtrak stations and their connectivity is comparing apples to rutabagas.

Dallas Union Station is less than a mile from the TCR site, is on the edge of downtown (right across the tracks from Reunion), and also serves DART and the Trinity River Express.

image.png

Houston's Amtrak station is about seven miles from the Northwest Mall site and is just grim.

On the other hand, there's no reason why Amtrak couldn't relocate to the Northwest Mall site, or near it.

There’s plenty of space at Northwest Mall to do a lot of things. With the Texas Central + Amtrak partnership, why not relocate it to the NW Mall site? And while we are on the topic of outdated facilities, Greyhound is looking to replace the their bus terminal. Add in a relocated NW Transit Center P&R, extend the Post Oak BRT to NW Mall, and this could be our opportunity to create a multimodal regional ground transportation facility at the convergence of 3 major freeways centered between 3 major employment centers (Downtown, Uptown, Energy Corridor).

Metro has dreamed of it before at Burnett, the opportunity is there to make it a reality now. 

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 2

Even if the TCR station isn't in an optimal location, it makes too much sense for Amtrak to be moved there.  One thing that would have to happen is that a platform compatible with Amtrak must be constructed.  Amtrak's superliner cars which are used on the Sunset Limited can only be accessed via a low floor platform (15" above the rail).  Typically, HSR trains use high floor platforms (48" above the rail).  

Also, the platform would have to be built adjacent to the existing UP trackage.  Presumably, the HSR platforms will be elevated if the rendering is anything to go by, so you'd have platforms elevated and at ground level.  

Currently, the Sunset would have to do a short reverse move to access the station.  The Sunset already does a reverse move leaving Houston eastbound and reverse moves are fairly common on Amtrak, so this shouldn't be an issue. 

Ultimately, the benefit of having one station for both Amtrak and TCR would be to allow both passengers to access food options, rental car and parking which would be at the station.  Optimally, you'd have all the bus companies at the station too to make things even more efficient.  

All that being said, I don't see this happening. 

Edited by mfastx
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, mfastx said:

Even if the TCR station isn't in an optimal location, it makes too much sense for Amtrak to be moved there.  One thing that would have to happen is that a platform compatible with Amtrak must be constructed.  Amtrak's superliner cars which are used on the Sunset Limited can only be accessed via a low floor platform (15" above the rail).  Typically, HSR trains use high floor platforms (48" above the rail). 

Doing some quick research, the platform height for the Superliner cars can range from 8" - 21.7"; this is relatively standard in the US, though platform heights in the US vary from 8" - 48" and the Acela seems to have a platform height of 48" or so.

The Shinkansen train set only uses 49.2" platforms.

12 hours ago, mfastx said:

Also, the platform would have to be built adjacent to the existing UP trackage.  Presumably, the HSR platforms will be elevated if the rendering is anything to go by, so you'd have platforms elevated and at ground level.

You could also build a new elevated track, but an at grade platform does make more sense - which would give you a TCR departure floor and an Amtrak departure floor.

Currently, the Sunset would have to do a short reverse move to access the station.  The Sunset already does a reverse move leaving Houston eastbound and reverse moves are fairly common on Amtrak, so this shouldn't be an issue.

I've ridden the Sunset limited and I doubled checked the route - the train does do a reverse maneuver leaving San Antonio going east, but it just goes straight out of Houston towards New Orleans.  The train can do a reverse move though it takes more time than just gliding into the station.

Ultimately, the benefit of having one station for both Amtrak and TCR would be to allow both passengers to access food options, rental car and parking which would be at the station.  Optimally, you'd have all the bus companies at the station too to make things even more efficient. 

Agreed - having all the ground transport for the city in one place would be super convenient, except for the downside of the lack of transit coming into the site.  Bus routes and a light rail route would have to be routed to make this site a better hub of the city's transportation network.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 8:10 AM, mollusk said:

image.png

Whoa, whoa, whoa y'all. Move Amtrak to the NW Mall site?? No. Y'all are missing the easy solution that is beneficial to many folks at the least possible cost.

Move the Amtrak station a few hundred yards east to the Post HTX site.

It'd be great for Post HTX because they'd charge Amtrak rent, they'd have more customers are their shops and restaurants, and they'd have a train station at their development so surely they could increase retail rents. 

It'd be great for Amtrak because, hey, they'd have bathrooms now... They also wouldn't have to spend very much to move the station--just make a new waiting area in Post HTX. If they own the land the current station is on perhaps they could even sell that. Let someone buy it to make a parking garage. 

The thing is, there already will be transit buses going from the new NW Mall high speed rail station to Downtown via the HOV lane. It's quick. It's easy. It's already a sunk cost--NW transit center/NW Mall HSR station to Downtown. So what if Amtrak customers have to hop on a bus for a 10 minute drive--if you're taking Amtrak already anyway, what's 10 more minutes? And of course they're bound to be the nice park-and-ride buses anyway.

Spend a little extra to make a pedestrian connection to the UHD light rail station. Put some moving sidewalks on it too. Maybe even get the Post HTX folks to chip in for the walkway that will surely be to their benefit. Suddenly Post HTX is a multimodal transit center--Amtrak, park-and-ride, light rail, and high speed rail connections all at one place. 

Perhaps the folks at Texas Central could even do a little PR magic and have a Post HTX High Speed Rail station (****that you happen to have to take a 10 minute bus ride first). Get enough interest after a while, if the economics make sense, just put in a people mover like AirTrain to the NW Mall station. 

• Like 2

1.5 h ride Dallas -> Houston

0.5 h connection

0.5 h layover

9.5 h Houston -> New Orleans

= 12 h

Driving takes 8 hours, a flight is 1 h 15 min

Amtrak really needs to step it up around here after the high speed train comes in

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, cspwal said:

1.5 h ride Dallas -> Houston

0.5 h connection

0.5 h layover

9.5 h Houston -> New Orleans

= 12 h

Driving takes 8 hours, a flight is 1 h 15 min

Amtrak really needs to step it up around here after the high speed train comes in

High speed train from Houston to New Orleans?

• Like 1

A good idea, but a downside of the NW mall site is the hard work of getting a line from the west side of Houston to the east side of Houston is I-10 inside 610, so getting to NOLA from the NW mall site would run into all the problems that prevented a downtown station.  Of course, you might be able to have a bypass around Houston that would also allow a train from Dallas to NOLA that bypasses Houston

Yes, please, Beer Nut. 

I've used Amtrak on numerous trips to NOLA.  It cheaper than Driving for one person, and no parking charges.   The return trip is relaxing and much easier to do with a hangover.  Sure a takes a couple hours longer.  What's the hurry?  It's, relaxing.  The seat is comfortable.  It's not crowded.  It can be fun, depending upon your company and the other riders and scenery interesting beautiful.  Sue beats most of I-101   Try it. 

But, I realize that HSR, on this route, is not likely, anytime soon. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, cspwal said:

A good idea, but a downside of the NW mall site is the hard work of getting a line from the west side of Houston to the east side of Houston is I-10 inside 610, so getting to NOLA from the NW mall site would run into all the problems that prevented a downtown station.  Of course, you might be able to have a bypass around Houston that would also allow a train from Dallas to NOLA that bypasses Houston

Not so much.  Amtrak comes up the UP line that's parallel to the west loop, and then curves around to join the line that is parallel to 290.  

The direct Dallas - NOLA service that bypassed Houston was Texas & Pacific's Louisiana Eagle.

24 minutes ago, Naviguessor said:

Yes, please, Beer Nut. 

I've used Amtrak on numerous trips to NOLA.  It cheaper than Driving for one person, and no parking charges.   The return trip is relaxing and much easier to do with a hangover.  Sure a takes a couple hours longer.  What's the hurry?  It's, relaxing.  The seat is comfortable.  It's not crowded.  It can be fun, depending upon your company and the other riders and scenery interesting beautiful.  Sue beats most of I-101   Try it. 

But, I realize that HSR, on this route, is not likely, anytime soon. 

Even for 1 person, the big issue I have is that there is only 1 train per day, and airfare is comparable in price when booked more than 21 days in advance. 

I would like to try it out some day though. 

Honestly, it's not even everyday service.  I usually like to get there as early as possible and faster (I prefer not to travel at night. ) So, generally, I fly or rent a car to get there.  But returning, the 9AM departure schedule, including Monday morning, works perfectly. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mollusk said:

Not so much.  Amtrak comes up the UP line that's parallel to the west loop, and then curves around to join the line that is parallel to 290.  

The direct Dallas - NOLA service that bypassed Houston was Texas & Pacific's Louisiana Eagle.

I meant for a highspeed rail line.  I know that the Sunset limited route would work, but it has too many grade crossings to be used for HSR

On 5/11/2018 at 11:52 AM, BeerNut said:

High speed train from Houston to New Orleans?

From Houston to Disney World with a single stop at New Orleans.

Better still:

Disney Land to Disney World with Stops in New Orleans, Houston, El Paso and Phoenix.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, samagon said:

From Houston to Disney World with a single stop at New Orleans.

Better still:

Disney Land to Disney World with Stops in New Orleans, Houston, El Paso and Phoenix.

Connect in Orlando to the florida train, and you can go from Long beach to South beach

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

https://archpaper.com/2018/06/texas-15-billion-bullet-train-roll-out/

Not sure if this is news, but it it is, wonderful. 

What get's me is when people write "additional stops between the two cities, such as in the city of Byran/College Station, have already been confirmed," when they must be talking about Roans Prairie. I went to A&M and Sam Houston State, and neither of them is within walking distance. 

17 hours ago, gmac said:

PR BS. That fantasy train isn't getting off the ground any time soon.

Real easy to be a naysayer. You have any evidence for why this is so, right now?

4 hours ago, ADCS said:

Real easy to be a naysayer. You have any evidence for why this is so, right now?

There is a serious fight against this project in the countryside, and the backers of the HSR don't have the funding to make it happen yet.

36 minutes ago, gmac said:

There is a serious fight against this project in the countryside, and the backers of the HSR don't have the funding to make it happen yet.

They've been fighting from the beginning, and losing.