Texas Central Project

MaxConcrete

On 2/26/2024 at 9:40 PM, Zorin said:

I'm beginning to question the actual viability of this project, just off of what I see in northwest Harris County.  Playing around with alignment maps, it appears that the preferred route would roughly take it through the Dunham Pointe edition south of 290 and Mason Rd, then where the curve north starts, I'm having trouble discerning whether it would run through Grand Prairie or Jubilee.  This is not mentioning other developments occurring on the northern side of 290.  

I realize none of this is set in stone so to speak, but would developers really be pouring truckloads of cash into developing these areas, unless they KNEW their developments would not be subject to eminent domain?  Even if they did ED the land, they still have to pay fair market value, and going low at 250K per house, that will add up fast! 

With the amount of time that has passed since the original schematics, there is no doubt they will have to do a new study. It just is what it is. The Amtrak collaboration is still fresh so I would hold off before calling this fully doomed. 

• Like 2

On 2/29/2024 at 8:07 AM, Triton said:

With the amount of time that has passed since the original schematics, there is no doubt they will have to do a new study. It just is what it is. The Amtrak collaboration is still fresh so I would hold off before calling this fully doomed. 

That's completely fair.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to nay-say in the least, rather I'm just trying wrap my head around the logistics of the situation given the massive amount of development that has taken place......and who knows what's coming!

• Like 1

On 3/7/2024 at 4:01 PM, Triton said:

Man the forces of misinformation are strong. Absolute BS story with thousands of people believing this nonsense.... They have no source whatsoever. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4N28wxsHdP/?igsh=MTU5M21hemxnZ2tiYw==

This is part of the Texas Central project.

Actually, there is a press report which quotes the owner of Reunion Tower saying it would be "sacrificed".

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/politics/reunion-tower-could-be-sacrificed-dallas-high-speed-rail-plan/287-08706a39-e74f-4913-842c-a3452c8192b0

Renderings commissioned by Hunt Realty Investments show the train line passing inches from the Hyatt Regency's hotel room windows and the Reunion Tower complex. This would force the company to sacrifice more than 1,000 hotel rooms, its affordable housing development plans and the iconic Reunion Tower Ball, Hunt Realty Investments President Colin Fitzgibbons said. 

The meaning of the word "sacrifice" isn't clear. Does it mean financially diminished? Does it mean the owner would want to demolish it? Someone could infer the owner would be inclined to demolish the tower if its value is greatly reduced.

The renderings from the Dallas Morning News show the elevated rail line coming very close to the tower and hotel, but not requiring its demolition.

The WFAA news report says that officials are still quoting $30 billion for Houston to Dallas. The $30 billion number has been used for several years, even though highway construction costs are up around 50% in the last two years. They mention a minimum of $6 billion for Dallas to Fort Worth, which is a minimum of $200 million per mile, which seems low because it includes long tunnels.

There is a controversy raging in Dallas about Texas Central. To make a long story short, the tentative plans for the Dallas to Fort Worth section include tunnels for Arlington and Fort Worth, but an elevated structure for Dallas, and Dallas officials say they also should have a tunnel.

What's most bewildering about all this is that everyone in North Texas is acting as if Texas Central is actually going to be built. It surely isn't viable as a private entity, and I don't see any way even half of the cost will be covered by the federal government. So this is probably a big fuss about something that won't even happen.

KX3Z2BJJAZB4DN4DCSHULEPREE.png

57ZW64F2DBGEXOHMLGHIZCCFTA.png

• Like 3

On 3/7/2024 at 4:01 PM, Triton said:

Man the forces of misinformation are strong. Absolute BS story with thousands of people believing this nonsense.... They have no source whatsoever. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4N28wxsHdP/?igsh=MTU5M21hemxnZ2tiYw==

This is part of the Texas Central project.

The project described in the linked Instagram post is not part of the Texas Central project.

13 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

The project described in the linked Instagram post is not part of the Texas Central project.

Is this some line to Fort Worth or something? I didn't realize there was any other HSR proposed in Texas

Edit: oh so this would be an extension to Fort Worth.

To make a long story short, the tentative plans for the Dallas to Fort Worth section include tunnels for Arlington and Fort Worth, but an elevated structure for Dallas, and Dallas officials say they also should have a tunnel.

3 hours ago, Triton said:

Is this some line to Fort Worth or something? I didn't realize there was any other HSR proposed in Texas

Edit: oh so this would be an extension to Fort Worth.

The Fort Worth-Dallas high-speed rail line is being proposed by the North Central Texas Council of Governments, a regional transport planning body not directly affiliated with Texas Central. You can read about it here: 

https://www.nctcog.org/trans/plan/transit-management-and-planning/general-public-information/transit-planning-activities/transit-planning-projects/high-speed-rail

The NCTCOG is proposing a line from Dallas to Fort Worth that would connect with Texas Central's Dallas station, were one to be built. The route study that drew this discussion was initiated in 2020. 

The last presented Texas Central design calls for an elevated Dallas station. NCTCOG's proposal calls for trenching the route along the highway until Dallas, where it will be elevated for the purposes of connecting with the Texas Central station. The stated reason is speeding up the process of transferring from the Fort Worth-Dallas train to the Texas Central portion.  

Edited by JClark54
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, JClark54 said:

The Fort Worth-Dallas high-speed rail line is being proposed by the North Central Texas Council of Governments, a regional transport planning body not directly affiliated with Texas Central. You can read about it here: 

https://www.nctcog.org/trans/plan/transit-management-and-planning/general-public-information/transit-planning-activities/transit-planning-projects/high-speed-rail

The NCTCOG is proposing a line from Dallas to Fort Worth that would connect with Texas Central's Dallas station, were one to be built. The route study that drew this discussion was initiated in 2020. 

The last presented Texas Central design calls for an elevated Dallas station. NCTCOG's proposal calls for trenching the route along the highway until Dallas, where it will be elevated for the purposes of connecting with the Texas Central station. The stated reason is speeding up the process of transferring from the Fort Worth-Dallas train to the Texas Central portion.  

Awesome, thank you. 

When I first came across this in /r/Dallas, I thought this was yet another attempt into scaring people about the Texas Central project. I guess this extension will have its own hurdles now.

• 5 weeks later...

SOUND THE KLAXONS

https://www.newsweek.com/texas-poised-first-bullet-train-line-us-1888433

President Joe Biden is reportedly seeking to revive a project that would construct a high-speed railway from Houston to Dallas in Texas utilizing Japanese bullet trains.

According to a Reuters report on Tuesday, citing unnamed administration sources, the White House is looking to make an announcement on the project following talks between Biden and Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida in Washington, D.C., this week.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, wilcal said:

SOUND THE KLAXONS

https://www.newsweek.com/texas-poised-first-bullet-train-line-us-1888433

President Joe Biden is reportedly seeking to revive a project that would construct a high-speed railway from Houston to Dallas in Texas utilizing Japanese bullet trains.

According to a Reuters report on Tuesday, citing unnamed administration sources, the White House is looking to make an announcement on the project following talks between Biden and Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida in Washington, D.C., this week.

Damn... So now Trump will be against this? 

On 4/10/2024 at 4:17 PM, Triton said:

Damn... So now Trump will be against this? 

Once upon a time he considered it an infrastructure priority. Unfortunately, consistency doesn't mean anything to most politicians if it can be traded for winning.

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/01/24/report-texas-bullet-train-among-new-federal-transp/

31 minutes ago, texan said:

Once upon a time he considered it an infrastructure priority. Unfortunately, consistency doesn't mean anything to most politicians if it can be traded for winning.

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/01/24/report-texas-bullet-train-among-new-federal-transp/

Anytime Biden comes in support of something (Think TikTok ban), Trump comes out swinging against it, even if he's the one who first brought up the issue. With this being election season, if Trump comes out against this for "the farmers", consider this project dead in Texas. 

• 2 weeks later...

‘Now’s the time’: Amtrak leader urges momentum on Dallas-to-Houston high-speed rail

Andy Byford, Amtrak’s senior vice president of high-speed rail development, told participants of the 20th annual Southwestern Rail Conference in Hurst that the Dallas-to-Houston corridor “ticks all the boxes” for a high-speed rail project. It would connect two large population centers, it has straightforward topography and “suboptimal alternatives” for travel, pointing to congestion on Interstate 45 and area airports.

• Like 4