The Travis: Multifamily High-Rise At 3300 Main St.

Urbannizer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kind of an asshole move with how they have the sidewalk blocked on both sides. Was walking to Tacos a Go Go the other night and came across this:

CmUyiRQ.jpg

Oh, I guess I'll have to cross the street.

F6FAalr.jpg

Cool.

So you have to walk west a block and cross the Travis highway without a painted crosswalk or walk back up to Elgin and go around.

Don't think crap like this flies in most cities. 

• Like 9

44 minutes ago, wilcal said:

Kind of an asshole move with how they have the sidewalk blocked on both sides. Was walking to Tacos a Go Go the other night and came across this:

CmUyiRQ.jpg

Oh, I guess I'll have to cross the street.

F6FAalr.jpg

Cool.

So you have to walk west a block and cross the Travis highway without a painted crosswalk or walk back up to Elgin and go around.

Don't think crap like this flies in most cities. 

I hope they open a few sections of the fencing around the light rail like they did around Camden's project further up.

• Like 3

Website is up!  https://thetravishouston.com/

Only a few 1Br rates are listed - the cheapest unit going for $1900/mo. !!  

Current special is 2 mo. free on a 13 mo. lease (net effective rent $1607.69), which is more reasonable imo. Looks like Drewery Place has some competition 👀

Also funny they're using a picture of the Rise Lofts on their website

Capture.JPG

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

So I toured this and just some anecdotes:

The interior finishes and appliances are great, there is actually ample closet and storage space (huge coat closets etc). There are dressers/drawers in each closet which is great. 

Some weird design choices are the windows are massive squares almost the size of the wall but can't open. The only fresh air you get is if you open the balcony door but there is no screen so bugs. For a concrete building on the 10th floor I could hear every car that drove by and the train is very evident, some people wouldn't mind but I thought it would be much quieter for a concrete high rise. Drewery place was silent relative. 

Also, I knew the HCC building would block views but its not even the biggest eyesore. Its their parking garage. On the 10th floor its right in your face on those expensive downtown view units. To not have it in your view from your kitchen or living room you'd probably have to be on the 17th floor at least. 

• Like 8

On 6/1/2018 at 1:50 PM, lockmat said:

AECOM says it's 29 stories. Has a worse rendering, too. Google says it was updated seven days ago.

Rendering of 3300 Main Street, a mixed-use, 29-story development by AECOM Capital and PM Realty Group located in the midtown neighborhood of Houston, Texas

https://www.aecom.com/projects/3300-main-street/

If this rendering in lockmat’s post is any indication, there are no plans for screening the garage. Very disappointing. I hope PM develops a project with higher design standards at its Montrose/Westheimer site.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CaptainJilliams said:

Please don't tell me they are going to leave it like that.

Aren't they at least going to put a screen around the garage instead of leaving it open and exposed?

I wouldn't count on it. The Mosaic Condominiums did nothing to cover their garage and their buildings are much nicer that this soviet block looking building. 

10 hours ago, danielsonr said:

If this rendering in lockmat’s post is any indication, there are no plans for screening the garage. Very disappointing. I hope PM develops a project with higher design standards at its Montrose/Westheimer site.

Could be worse. It could still be a surface parking lot.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

The parking podium was never covered in any previous renderings.  It’s definitely not the crown jewel of Midtown, but it’s adequate infill.  I just hope they change the stucco from its current cement gray tone.  White would be nice.

It’s interesting to see The Travis in close proximity to Drewery Place.  It makes me appreciate the quality Cayden puts into its product!

Edited by MarathonMan
  • Like 6

At least the garage isn't really facing Main Street. Overall, this may not be one of Houston's finest looking buildings IMO, but I won't complain about it because I've wanted to see Midtown develop a real skyline for a long time and this building is helping way more than it is hurting. Plus, it makes that section of Main St. look a lot better than it ever did before.

Edited by West Timer
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, West Timer said:

At least the garage isn't really facing Main Street. Overall, this may not be one of Houston's finest looking buildings IMO, but I won't complain about it because I've wanted to see Midtown develop a real skyline for a long time and this building is helping way more than it is hurting. Plus, it makes that section of Main St. look a lot better than it ever did before.

From what I was told the entrance to the garage is on main street which seems like a terrible idea...

47 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

From what I was told the entrance to the garage is on main street which seems like a terrible idea...

From what I've seen being on site, and the photos/renders I've seen the entrance will be on Francis St. The retail and Lobby will all front Main St. Who told you otherwise?

• Like 1