The Travis: Multifamily High-Rise At 3300 Main St.

Urbannizer

"As of December, the submarket that encompasses Montrose, the Museum District and Midtown had seven apartment projects under construction, according to Houston-based ApartmentData.com. That area was second only to the Katy-Cinco Ranch-Waterside submarket, with 10 projects. As of May, there were 3,974 residential units proposed for the Montrose-Museum-Midtown submarket, the most of any submarket in the Houston area, per ApartmentData.com."

Holy crap. That is craaazy amount of residential units for what seems like a small part of town. And Katy-Cinco Ranch-Waterside would make sense with all the development over there. And that comparison is nice, cause it really shows that this portion of town is competing, in part, with the growth seen in what I think is widely known to be one of the fastest growing parts of the H. 

I would cross post this to Downtown Apartment thread because while we're like "man, 400 units!" midtown/montrose/museum district is like "man, 4000 units!" 

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, X.R. said:

"As of December, the submarket that encompasses Montrose, the Museum District and Midtown had seven apartment projects under construction, according to Houston-based ApartmentData.com. That area was second only to the Katy-Cinco Ranch-Waterside submarket, with 10 projects. As of May, there were 3,974 residential units proposed for the Montrose-Museum-Midtown submarket, the most of any submarket in the Houston area, per ApartmentData.com."

Holy crap. That is craaazy amount of residential units for what seems like a small part of town. And Katy-Cinco Ranch-Waterside would make sense with all the development over there. And that comparison is nice, cause it really shows that this portion of town is competing, in part, with the growth seen in what I think is widely known to be one of the fastest growing parts of the H. 

I would cross post this to Downtown Apartment thread because while we're like "man, 400 units!" midtown/montrose/museum district is like "man, 4000 units!" 

The population density continues to increase. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, X.R. said:

Whats really great about it is that the inner city is finally starting to compete head to head in numbers with suburbia. This could even be a tipping point. Whats even more impressive is that the Katy-Cinco Ranch-Waterside market is a much larger area than the Montrose-Museum-Midtown market and yet its going toe to toe with it. For past few years we were all really impressed by the growth of the inner city, but it still didn't compare to the growth that was still happening in suburbia, but now it seems with this data that turn is beginning to happen. This also corresponds to the continued uptick in announcements and planned developments either underway or proposed and it doesn't look like its slowing down. Its even exceed my expectations. I thought we wouldn't see those numbers for at least another couple years or until at the end of 2020. While working on the map 2020 keeps popping up everywhere. It looks to be a banner year for this city either for projects to be completed or projects to get started. Exciting times. Let the good times roll.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Luminare said:

Whats really great about it is that the inner city is finally starting to compete head to head in numbers with suburbia. This could even be a tipping point. Whats even more impressive is that the Katy-Cinco Ranch-Waterside market is a much larger area than the Montrose-Museum-Midtown market and yet its going toe to toe with it. For past few years we were all really impressed by the growth of the inner city, but it still didn't compare to the growth that was still happening in suburbia, but now it seems with this data that turn is beginning to happen. This also corresponds to the continued uptick in announcements and planned developments either underway or proposed and it doesn't look like its slowing down. Its even exceed my expectations. I thought we wouldn't see those numbers for at least another couple years or until at the end of 2020. While working on the map 2020 keeps popping up everywhere. It looks to be a banner year for this city either for projects to be completed or projects to get started. Exciting times. Let the good times roll.

I guess the developers have a 20-20 vision. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 5:37 PM, Luminare said:

This is similar to the wave of groundbreakings that happened in winter 2015. Missed recession by a hair. Hopefully we can get all this stuff underway before another recession hits. Layoffs have been happening in oil with more expected to come, and the global economy is also treading water.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

This is similar to the wave of groundbreakings that happened in winter 2015. Missed recession by a hair. Hopefully we can get all this stuff underway before another recession hits. Layoffs have been happening in oil with more expected to come, and the global economy is also treading water.

Yeah depends. I've also seen forecasts that state that even if we do fall into a recession sometime in late 2020 that it definitely won't be anything massive. More like something were economies are just kinda sluggish. If its just a normal slowdown type recession than it won't last for more than a year or two. The wild card is the Trade War with China. If that cools off and prices go back down in regards to materials and products than things could spike again. Its just to soon to tell. I think 2Q 2020 is when we will really know. At least here in Houston things are chugging along just fine and normally we weather recessions better than most.

• Like 1

My impression is that Houston used to be fairly "recession proof"in years past. We had recessions in the 50's and 70's which did not effect the city much in terms of growth. The Oil bust effected Houston,  but not the country as a whole. I don't believe the national recession of the early 90's had much impact here. My point is recessions can be national or regional, and  in the past it is the regional recessions which have impacted us the most. So I haven't a clue what a national recession would cause here.

Edited by Twinsanity02
typing error
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Twinsanity02 said:

My impression is that Houston used to be fairly "recession proof"in years past. We had recessions in the 50's and 70's which did not effect the city much in terms of growth. The Oil bust effected Houston,  but not the country as a whole. I don't believe the national recession of the early 90's had much impact here. My point is recessions can be national or regional, and  in the past it is the regional recessions which have impacted us the most. So I haven't a clue what a national recession would cause here.

Correct. The only national recession that actually effected us was the Great Recession, and that was particularly abnormal due to the particular industry which caused it, the housing collapse. From what I've seen, that industry is much more cautious than it was then. A lot of the indicators that are being looked at for this potential recession don't relate in a significant way to our major industries. At least, this is how I understand it. I'm not an economist. My only worry about a possible recession that I keep looking at is the unemployment rate. When the unemployment is this low for some reason things get a little wonky. It just doesn't stay this low for long, and the question is what happens when unemployment starts to tick back up. Other than that I just don't see it...at least for 2019 or even 2020. Now 2021, that's where it gets dicey. Again, not an economist, so we will just have to see.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, rechlin said:

From last week:

RdAmbV2.jpg

Thats a great shot. Whats striking is you can  see how much of mid town is now predominantly  5-8 story complexes or taller.

It would be interesting see an aerial view of this same area from say 2000.

The density stretches from just north of W. Dallas and the Post properties all the way to 59, the Ion and Fiesta.

Now we need one facing the other way and we can make our own panoramas. Seems to me to be an impressive amount of infill in less than 20 years.

Edited by bobruss
  • Like 8