The Travis: Multifamily High-Rise At 3300 Main St.

Urbannizer

2 hours ago, MarathonMan said:

I think this building could look very nice. . . But I have to say the white metal railings on the balconies really cheapen the look, and they’ll disrupt the views from the units.

I believe there are code requirements on guardrails that prevent a 4" sphere from passing through the vertical posts. Often times you'll see the glass guard rails on these buildings but those are expensive. Perhaps they got value-engineered out? 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Purdueenginerd said:

I believe there are code requirements on guardrails that prevent a 4" sphere from passing through the vertical posts. Often times you'll see the glass guard rails on these buildings but those are expensive. Perhaps they got value-engineered out? 

Honestly the initial renders were pretty vague about the railings.

Railings always seem to get left out or are a last minute decision.

I probably would have gone with something like this:

kHLdxyl.jpg

A good middle ground between your plain standard safety railing and all glass. Could have potentially work with the austere facade. If one actually thinks about it for more than 30secs then there are plenty of options.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Luminare said:

Honestly the initial renders were pretty vague about the railings.

Railings always seem to get left out or are a last minute decision.

I probably would have gone with something like this:

kHLdxyl.jpg

A good middle ground between your plain standard safety railing and all glass. Could have potentially work with the austere facade. If one actually thinks about it for more than 30secs then there are plenty of options.

Yeah thats an elegant product. Youre right though, even on the structural engineering side we normally punt the guard rails to a 3rd party and its not even looked at until construction is well underway. Ive done handrails for industrial sites, but theres a few times here and there where I've had to design custom guardrails for architects, but surprisingly its difficult to get the look they want and comply with code requirements. 

• Like 5

I went back and clicked on the link to the rendering (https://www.aecom.com/projects/3300-main-street/) and found this gem

It is strategically located equidistant between downtown Houston and the Texas Medical Center, adjacent to the Main Street stop of the METRORail Red Line.

Main street stop?  Someone garbled what they meant to say

• Like 6

Saw this building peeking out of midtown while riding the bus from Grandparkway. This and the other high-rises being built, are going to change the skyline. They're going to be a huge catalyst for merging of the Downtown and TMC skylines. With the way things are going, this merging might happen sooner than later. Can't wait for this and Caydon to finish. 

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...