sevfiv

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That’s awful. I was just about to post the article but I got ninja’d. 

I wonder what happened? We were just there on 2/18, and the staff was telling us that they were about to start doing their steaks all day. (Previously they only served them after 4pm) No indication whatsoever that they were about to close up shop, either. I wonder if they had a dispute with POST about their hours or something?

I really do hope they relocate somewhere else nearby. 

Edited by BEES?!
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

It def wasn't lacking in business, so it does sound like POST ownership wanted to go in a new direction for the spot. 

That has to be it. There was zero indication that this was happening- apparently it took the staff by surprise. The sous chef had a bunch of preps up for grabs on an Instagram post, so this was extremely sudden. You wouldn’t make prep and print menus if you knew you were fixing to close for good. Just crazy!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

After thinking about this for a minute, was everything a local concept other than these two places? If so, then maybe that’s what POST wants. It just seems weird how both Salt & Time and The Butchers Burger are both Austin based places that closed. 

7 hours ago, jmitch94 said:

East Side King and Thai Kun are both from Austin too. In fact I think a large portion are not local. 

Kirby Liu of Lovett Commercial recruited Paul Qui as the consulting operator for Post Market. So, it's not surprising that a number of dining concepts from his Austin-based FAM Hospitality Group are part of the food hall's roster:

• Lea Jane's

•Soy Pinoy

• Thai Kun 

• East Side King 

With the exceptions of Golfstrommen, Salt & Time, the Butcher's Burger, Roberta's, Hawker, Whisk, and G'Raj Mahal (which are mostly concepts from the DFW and Austin areas), the rest are locally owned.

It's disappointing Salt & Time and the Butcher's Burger are no longer options at Post Market. I'm more disappointed I didn't have the opportunity to visit their Houston outposts. 

I'm sure Lovett Commercial and Post Market's operators will find tenants to fill those vacant spots soon. Hopefully whichever concepts are greenlighted are also local.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 4

We went to lunch  on Tuesday. It was not that busy. I spent 15 years in the restaurant business, and I felt uncomfortable for several of the vendors. I would be real concerned about Golfstrommen also. I didn't see one customer there the whole time we were there. Restaurants depend on a steady flow of customers and for specialty vendors like Salt and Time and Golfstrommen that feature delicate product its hard to maintain a good product when your business is so spotty. Your dealing with food and seafood in particular has a short shelf life to maintain its quality. It gets harder to keep fresh inventory and big crowds on weekends and slow weekdays don't help. You also have to maintain a staff and its hard to operate a space like these without consistent volume. I asked several of the workers in different spaces and they all seemed a little concerned. I was not that impressed with the turnout. They should have built some apartments around the site first and created a captive audience. Right now they are dependent on a drive up market that is not even downtown right now. It still looks like a ghost town. I hope they make it but I don't feel real positive about it. Lets face this has has been a terrible 2 years for the restaurant and bar industry with the pandemic, and putting yourself on an island doesn't help.

I will say that my old boss Johnny Carrabba, used to say it didn't matter where you were located if the food was good and the atmosphere was inviting. Of course he didn't pick a very challenging location in the heart of River Oaks West U. on the Upper Kirby corridor.

Edited by bobruss
  • Like 7

I'm not sure what the current data shows in terms of how busy it get's at different times but that's why I asked about Common Desk. They need one of those tenants to hurry the hell up and build out their spots. I've also said this before, even the Ferry Building in SF and other concepts I've visited that are similar all have dead days. I can't lie though, I'm a little worried overall about this project. I went on a Sunday and it was very busy. I'm sure Fri/Sat are their best days overall, but idk because I've never been mid week. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

After thinking about this for a minute, was everything a local concept other than these two places? If so, then maybe that’s what POST wants. It just seems weird how both Salt & Time and The Butchers Burger are both Austin based places that closed. 

Salt & Time and The Butchers Burger are the same company.

• Like 3

Here are the peak hours for the Ferry Building in SF. And that is smack in the middle of downtown SF in a very touristy spot. So I wouldn't worry too much about foot traffic during the week for POST. The WED image is the average traffic M-F at the Ferry Building. Saturday is the most busy day and Sunday tapers off pretty drastic as well. When compared to POST, Mon-Thurs they have the least amount of traffic, but Friday-Sun POST is very busy pretty much all hours of operation. 

SAT.PNG

WED.PNG

Edited by j_cuevas713

spacer.png

^^^ what an ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS statement of solidarity!  i have seen many many tributes from around the globe supporting the country of ukraine and it's wonderful citizens.  however, this POST HTX tribute is one of the most beautiful.  props @hindesky for posting.  this has indeed made my day...

• Like 9