sevfiv

Went to Post the other day on Tuesday and it was packed. Also, went last week and they had a "market" going on; local artists were selling their pieces and a local singer was performing . Some days they have yoga on the roof. They host numerous events. Im so glad Houston now has a community space outside of the traditional "Galleria mall." Let's admit it, when guests come in from out of town, the galleria was the only urban community space we could take them to. Discovery green is nice, but its just a park. We desperately needed this project, can't wait to see what they have in store once they're complete.

Side note, don't get me wrong, I love the Galleria. However, I hate the idea that a mall is the first place many Houstonians take their guests in the 4th largest city in America. That feels like a mid-size/ small-size city problem. 

Edited by Amlaham
  • Like 6

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Post is a lesson in what having a good marketing and networking team can do you for your business. You can tell they hustle and grind to add incrementally (the drone show is a good example) to a foundation they are continuing to build on. From a business standpoint there are a lot of ways this could have went sideways, and it still can, but so far they have really put together an attractive package. And more than half of building is still empty!

Having just got back from the west coast, this is the type of development you'd see in a city with a strong tech scene (or is it just that all of the west coast cities have strong tech scenes). The longevity for those developments comes from people going there for the vibes, opening the laptop, doing some work, maybe eating, definitely drinking, and checking out whatever is going on for the day. 

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Amlaham said:

Went to Post the other day on Tuesday and it was packed. Also, went last week and they had a "market" going on; local artists were selling their pieces and a local singer was performing . Some days they have yoga on the roof. They host numerous events. Im so glad Houston now has a community space outside of the traditional "Galleria mall." Let's admit it, when guests come in from out of town, the galleria was the only urban community space we could take them to. Discovery green is nice, but its just a park. We desperately needed this project, can't wait to see what they have in store once they're complete.

Side note, don't get me wrong, I love the Galleria. However, I hate the idea that a mall is the first place many Houstonians take their guests in the 4th largest city in America. That feels like a mid-size/ small-size city problem. 

It's almost a staple where people bring out of towners now. I'm really curious what they are gonna do with the parking lots!

• Like 5

Their FB had a live event where they talked about future concepts taking over the parking lot- of course that was well before they’d opened so I wouldn’t be surprised if ideas change as the project evolves.

The one I’m excited to see movement on is the possible hotel in the front part of the building. (It’s like 5 or 6 stories)

Edited by BEES?!
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New food stall Island Vybez Bodega opened over the weekend at Post Market (food hall at 401 Franklin St in downtown Houston).

Island Vybez Bodega is a Caribbean restaurant serving build-your-own bowl dishes. There are dishes and drinks with nods to Jamaica, the Bahamas, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, and others.

https://www.islandvybezbodega.com

Here are renderings of their food stall posted to their Instagram last month:

"This layout is a combination of multiple Caribbean cultures and aesthetics from across the globe. Our new home will give you a feel of the Caribbean once you enter no matter what Island your from "

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ci3JhxlJ3vx/

pyU9GL7.jpg

htr64T0.jpg

9 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Photos of new food stall Island Vybez Bodega. The restaurant opened over the weekend at Post Market, 401 Franklin St (food hall in downtown Houston).

From Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjgvukbM18B/

VhhuZPz.jpg

cGwkLk8.jpg

Is this an addition to the food hall or have they taken over a stall from another concept? It seemed like all the stalls were full last time I was there, curious whether there’s already been turnover

12 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Photos of new food stall Island Vybez Bodega. The restaurant opened over the weekend at Post Market, 401 Franklin St (food hall in downtown Houston).

From Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjgvukbM18B/

VhhuZPz.jpg

cGwkLk8.jpg

This looks like it was part of a contest to decorate an empty space with a $500 Walmart gift card  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, jhjones74 said:

Is this an addition to the food hall or have they taken over a stall from another concept? It seemed like all the stalls were full last time I was there, curious whether there’s already been turnover

I don't know. Sorry.

5 hours ago, Amlaham said:

This looks like it was part of a contest to decorate an empty space with a $500 Walmart gift card  

The design does give Caribbean island vibes to me. But given the cost to rent a space there and the rising cost of food and packaging materials, maybe the owners of this food stall saw fit to not overspend on outfitting the space. Who knows.

• 2 weeks later...

Another FAM Hospitality concept opened recently at Post Market, the food hall and market in Post Houston.

Houston Press mentions it in their latest round-up of restaurant and bar openings/closings:

Daquiri Corner, 401 Franklin, opened at POST HTX  in mid-October. The new frozen alcoholic beverage kiosk is part of FAM Hospitality which already operates a number of its concepts at the food hall, including Golfstrommen, Lea Jane's, Johnny Good Burger, East Side King and Soy Pinoy.

The daquiris are $15 and refills are $13.

https://www.houstonpress.com/restaurants/ezs-lounge-dives-into-houston-heights-the-pit-room-katy-14382227

(Pop-up free link: https://www.houstonpress.com/houston/Print?oid=14382227)

• Like 4

Coming to Post Market in November is Jackson's Brew Coffee Co.

Jackson's Brew began as a mobile coffee truck several years ago (however, it wasn't Houston's first coffee truck as its social media and website claims). Their forthcoming location in Post Houston's food hall (401 Franklin St) will be Jackson's first brick-and-mortar shop.

https://www.jacksonsbrew.com/

https://www.instagram.com/jacksonsbrew/

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Starting tonight, POST Houston will be having their own Christmas lights display with their “Winter Wonderlawn”. They’ll be decking out the skylawn in tons of lights/displays and a 25’ tree! 

They are also going to host a “Holiday VIBE” market. I may check this one out! Here’s their event page It’s gonna be on Sat, 12/10 from 11am-6pm in the X atrium

Edited by BEES?!
  • Like 5

From the recent “State of Downtown” presentation, there was a reference that seemed to imply that the Skylawn was being publicly funded … can anyone confirm if indeed it is the entire Skylawn and by which specific organization?

(Not a criticism, just the first I had heard of it.)

12 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

From the recent “State of Downtown” presentation, there was a reference that seemed to imply that the Skylawn was being publicly funded … can anyone confirm if indeed it is the entire Skylawn and by which specific organization?

(Not a criticism, just the first I had heard of it.)

I didn't hear anything that gave my that impression.  It's of course possible I missed it.  Could you point to something more specific?   (IIRC, there was some public assistance for the overall Post project.)

4 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

I didn't hear anything that gave my that impression.  It's of course possible I missed it.  Could you point to something more specific?   (IIRC, there was some public assistance for the overall Post project.)

2:08 into the video

”Financially supported the largest rooftop garden in America”

I’d love to know specifically what that means.

• Thanks 2

On 12/7/2022 at 4:34 PM, mattyt36 said:

I wouldn't infer from that comment that the rooftop garden was publicly funded.  Basically, Central Houston, Inc. and its web of affiliated organizations have their finger in the pie of every development going on downtown.   I dug around on some of the affiliated organization websites but didn't find any specific reference to Post Houston.   It's also interesting because Post Houston opened in 2021 and those marketing credits presumably referenced 2022.

On 12/7/2022 at 4:34 PM, mattyt36 said:

I imagine they are referring to the assistance they gave to the project.  I cannot find it now, but I recall there was a brief discussion on this forum about the public assistance provided to this project.

6 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

I imagine they are referring to the assistance they gave to the project.

Indeed.  Or else it would really be a strange thing to say in such a presentation.

Again, I'm not complaining or questioning the wisdom of such support--I'm just wondering to what degree.  Maybe it was peanuts, but the video highlights were presumably about things Central Houston, etc. did in 2022, and POST officially opened in 2021.  This to me would imply some sort of operating subsidy/grant/tax abatement.

• 3 weeks later...

It’s a good question for sure. I see POST mentioned quite in the DRA (I think?) meetings. 

I finally tried Andes Cafe recently! It was so good! I love tequeños, and theirs are pretty good. Not to mention their ceviche was off the chain. (I had their pescado ceviche) I think they’re my number 1 favorite now. 

Edited by BEES?!
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know the status of (or if there even still is) Phase 2 for POST Houston? I know in the original plans, there was going to be a highrise and a hotel portion, but it also seemed like that might be contingent on Phase 1 being successful. Do any of our more plugged-in posters have any insights they can share with us? Is this the final extent of POST, or is there still more to come?

• Like 5

i would like to know as well! i was hoping to see this fill up quicker than it has btw...the building has some incredible spaces and slowly but surely it seems various business are moving in...just cannot wait to see it full!

i do love and have been going to all of the various events that Post puts on... https://www.facebook.com/coffeeandcars/ is always a blast on the first Saturday of each month so make sure to check that out. But yes, i feel like this has reached maybe 1/2 of it's potential so hope to see this place grow (and expand if possible!).

and while i am commenting i guess i will throw in the obligatory: 713 Music Hall ( https://www.posthtx.com/music ) is the onsite venue as you know, and what better way to check it out then at my best friends band's 2 shows in a row they are having there in April! 🤪 (  https://www.blueoctober.com/ : April 7th is selling out fast, and April 8th is sold out! so get your tickets soon!)) See ya there! 

Edited by gene
  • Like 3