sevfiv

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Amlaham said:

https://www.houston.org/news/quality-life-post-houston-aims-bring-global-experience-downtown

"POST Houston isn’t finished yet. Liu said the goal is to connect the rooftop park, which is open to the public, to Buffalo Bayou. Residential and office space is also not out of the question.."

I wonder how thats going to work, but based off of the job they did inside, I'm sure they will execute this well. Glad they don't plan on stopping!

Hmmm pedestrian bridge from the George Bush monument maybe? 

• Like 2

On 2/2/2022 at 2:57 PM, Amlaham said:

https://www.houston.org/news/quality-life-post-houston-aims-bring-global-experience-downtown

"POST Houston isn’t finished yet. Liu said the goal is to connect the rooftop park, which is open to the public, to Buffalo Bayou. Residential and office space is also not out of the question.."

I wonder how thats going to work, but based off of the job they did inside, I'm sure they will execute this well. Glad they don't plan on stopping!

My vote is for a zipline down and ski lift gondola to get back up.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Andrew Ewert said:

This is maybe the dumbest question ever asked by anyone, but... could it? Not that we ever would, but if the city decided that having the bayou look nice was important, is there any way you could do it? Put a giant Brita filter in the Galleria?

I’ve thought about this as well. I feel like all it would take it to dump a bunch of granite or some other type of rocks to help with filtering and reflection 

1 hour ago, Fortune said:

Let's not forget that the SA river shown above is lined in cement. 

And it has damns on both ends which helps to minimize the amount of silt in it. They just pumped the water out and removed all the debris in it a couple weeks ago. They do this biannually.

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2022/01/25/cellphones-chairs-found-as-san-antonio-river-is-drained-cleaned/

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 9

17 hours ago, Andrew Ewert said:

This is maybe the dumbest question ever asked by anyone, but... could it? Not that we ever would, but if the city decided that having the bayou look nice was important, is there any way you could do it? Put a giant Brita filter in the Galleria?

One of the main points of present day environmentalism as well as landscape design is to be true and honest to what naturally exists and not try to enhance or improve upon it. Do not "teach the river a better course," or a better shade or color, for that matter. So I think this would fall into that category. Although the BBP has said that if we have better, more natural drainages leading into the bayou, much of the sediments that wash into it will be filtered out, and the water will be consequently less murky. More like black tea than chocolate milk, if you will.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

if we have better, more natural drainages leading into the bayou, much of the sediments that wash into it will be filtered out, and the water will be consequently less murky.

A few years ago ordinances were passed requiring developers to confine run-off from construction sites, which reduced the amount of silt going into the bayou. 
To me, Buffalo Bayou looks a little less murky than it used to. 
I've read historical accounts of what the bayou looked like in Houston's early days and at one time the water was fairly clear. Much of the silt came from natural erosion of its banks, which was minimal due to dense plant growth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbigtex56 said:

A few years ago ordinances were passed requiring developers to confine run-off from construction sites, which reduced the amount of silt going into the bayou. 
To me, Buffalo Bayou looks a little less murky than it used to. 
I've read historical accounts of what the bayou looked like in Houston's early days and at one time the water was fairly clear. Much of the silt came from natural erosion of its banks, which was minimal due to dense plant growth.

I suppose the best way to determine what the bayou is capable of is to visit another bayou in an undeveloped area of southeast Texas or southern Louisiana. I don't think any of them are especially clear. Translucent, maybe to some degree. I think Frederick Law Olmsted said that the first clear river going westward across Texas was the Colorado, and all the ones before that were muddy.

• Like 2

as far as the historical accounts of the waters being fairly clear, that's directly from the Allen Brothers trying to sell people on Houston.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/See-how-Houston-was-marketed-way-back-in-1836-13188532.php#photo-16079012

There is no place in Texas more healthy, having an abundance of excellent spring water, and enjoying the sea breeze in all its freshness,

did development also kill the sea breeze? hahaha.

no digs at anyone, just any historical account of things is probably slanted based on the Allen Brother's original account, I mean, great that they got people to move here, cause it has turned into a great city, but any rumors about the actual waterways of Houston can't be trusted.

it's always been muddy. no amount of plant growth on the banks is going to change that. 

incidentally, the photos attached to that article are awesome. 

Edited by samagon
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2022 at 4:19 PM, Andrew Ewert said:

I wish the Galleria could filter out that sewage smell that's been plaguing the parking garage for years.