sevfiv

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

What sort of landscaping is planned?
A jewel such as this deserves a great setting.

Are you talking about at ground level? It was pretty underwhelming. The walk to the Bagby street improvements left a bit to be desired. They currently stop on the other side of Franklin. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks @Brooklyn173 I made it out for a bit Saturday evening with several guest after dinner.  None of them were aware that this building was being renovated but they really enjoyed the experience and took lots of pictures.  Walking around you realize how cavernous the building is and there is the other building on site which I haven't seen any pictures of how it's being developed.  

spacer.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, sapo2367 said:

Also stopped by over the weekend. It was really busy for a soft opening, next weekend is going to be PACKED. The skylawn is really cool, there are definitely going to be a lot of weddings etc up there — especially with the sunset. It’s hard to really get a feel for how huge the space is from the photos but the building is massive. I really hope it goes well, there is an opportunity for it to be a great anchor for downtown!! 

went to day for night, and I can confirm, the place is a huge space. 

great shots everyone, I look forward to the first farmer's market so I can convince the wife we need to go :lol:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 11/8/2021 at 10:08 AM, wilcal said:

Are you talking about at ground level? It was pretty underwhelming. The walk to the Bagby street improvements left a bit to be desired. They currently stop on the other side of Franklin. 

Although I haven't walked on the improved portion of Bagby St, this corner of downtown has always seemed vaguely hostile - a sort of no-man's land comprised of parking lots and uninviting buildings.
It's pedestrian unfriendly due to aggressive traffic, disorienting street patterns, and a lack of trees and landscaping. A person can't help but feel exposed and vulnerable.
For many of us, crossing a bayou on a narrow sidewalk with low railings (and just inches from speeding cars) is an activity to be avoided whenever possible. 
From all reports, this is a fabulous facility, and although it's only a short distance from other downtown attractions, I wish it wasn't located in one of those "you can't get there from here" areas.
Perhaps someday improvements will be made to allow for more balanced priorities between automotive, bicycle,  and pedestrian traffic. I should live so long.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, BEES?! said:

I wanted to go to the grand opening, but I ended up being sick. How has it been? Was it busier than the soft opening, for anyone that’s gone to both?

It was packed. Lines were very long for the food vendors. Many of the office/retail space was converted to lounge space for the meantime. I’m really hoping for a major tenant like a Google or something.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, tigereye said:

Thread of my pics. Loved the way this renovation turned. Hoping the administration building becomes a boutique hotel. I still would also like Amtrak rail depot moved to the rear dock. Might draw even more crowds if a sky bridge or some direct path could be built linking UH Downtown to PostHTX. 

I said the same thing about Amtrak when I was there. I love how it opened up a whole new part of downtown. It’s a side I’ve never explored or thought much about. I think many people were thinking the same thing about the station though. I could def see some sort of connection in the near future. 

• Like 8

13 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

Although I haven't walked on the improved portion of Bagby St, this corner of downtown has always seemed vaguely hostile - a sort of no-man's land comprised of parking lots and uninviting buildings.
It's pedestrian unfriendly due to aggressive traffic, disorienting street patterns, and a lack of trees and landscaping. A person can't help but feel exposed and vulnerable.
For many of us, crossing a bayou on a narrow sidewalk with low railings (and just inches from speeding cars) is an activity to be avoided whenever possible. 
From all reports, this is a fabulous facility, and although it's only a short distance from other downtown attractions, I wish it wasn't located in one of those "you can't get there from here" areas.
Perhaps someday improvements will be made to allow for more balanced priorities between automotive, bicycle,  and pedestrian traffic. I should live so long.

I’m sorry to hear you don’t plan to live until 2023.  😒

i walked to and from Post yesterday and was surprised to find that it is much easier to walk to than has been suggested on this forum.  Sidewalks Congress St bridge are already pretty decent, with improvements coming.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, corbs315 said:

I went yesterday and thought it was neat. I have no idea what they plan to do with all the empty space. Then I see reddit comments like this and am a little concerned it's the prevailing opinion (and it was in the back of my mind too)

Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 10.49.43 AM.png

I kinda agree with this opinion.  Might be a cool thing to take people visiting from out of town or to go see a show.  I don't see myself going there on the regular unless it's heavily programmed like Discovery Green.   

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BeerNut said:

I kinda agree with this opinion.  Might be a cool thing to take people visiting from out of town or to go see a show.  I don't see myself going there on the regular unless it's heavily programmed like Discovery Green.   

It is a major amenity to me - 15 minute walk which is perfect for evenings. Also about 5-10 minutes to the performing arts district from Post so I will likely do pre-show dinners here. Realize it may be a little casual for others going to shows. The music venue builds inherent demand. Rufus du sol is sold out on Thursday/Friday.

It is a little far for lunches for office workers however.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1