10 hours ago, Big E said:

Why would they bother having a second venue, which the newer venue is clearly meant to be a replacement for the first? There isn't enough of difference between 2,350 and 5,000 that that logic makes any inherent sense. Its more logical that the new 5,000 seat venue is a full on replacement for the older, smaller venue, made larger to accommodate bigger performances, while still being small enough that a smaller performance could make use of the space.

Because different shows work better with different-sized venues.  By your logic, presumably, they will be closing the House of Blues as well?  I have seen nothing that indicates that the The Terminal is "clearly meant to be a replacement" for Bayou Music Center.  To the contrary, Live Nation spokespeople have suggested the opposite: 

"The Terminal will be a great addition to the live music scene in Houston giving artists and fans more options to connect at concerts,said Sherri Sosa, President, Venue Nation"

“It fits perfectly into the Houston market, where there isn’t a 5,000 capacity venue,” says Tim Jorgensen, vice president of operations for Live Nation. “The sweet spot for artists to engage with fans is often Terminal size. We’re filling a basic Houston need and indeed expect to thrive.”

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 4

On 5/20/2021 at 2:03 AM, Big E said:

Besides, the new venue in the listing looks to be about the same size as Jones Hall itself, supported by the renderings we've seen, which currently accommodates performances with an audience of up to 2,912. Assuming it is for the Symphony Orchestra, it looks to be built to the optimal size for them, with a size large enough to accommodate up to 3000 people for attendance and have plenty of space for the orchestra's operations.

The apparent new venue in the second ZC rendering does look about the size of Jones Hall and looks more like a concert hall/performing arts venue along the lines of Jones Hall/Hobby Center, as opposed to a replacement for Bayou Music Center.  My reference was to the Master Plan, not to the ZC rendering. The master plan discussion of a "new venue" in the Bayou Center blocks is pretty clearly not intended as a new symphony hall.  Perhaps the symphony is reexamining their options; perhaps ZC or their client are just throwing out possible options.  It is my understanding that, pre-Covid, our performing venues were pretty heavily booked and we could use some more venues, including a performance venue that would allow for "sit-down" (extended engagement) productions.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

It could be a new permanent venue for year round Shen Yun.

The Falun Gong are probably trying to figure out a way to move into the recently-vacated Chinese Consulate on Montrose and repurpose it for year-round Shen Yun. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, CREguy13 said:

Didn't get a picture but the entire Jones Plaza block has been barricaded up.  So excited for this one to start.  

I forgot that this has an underground parking lot underneath. I wonder if they will demolish it too and start all over. The tiny demo equipment they have unloaded so far makes me think they will save it and just demo the top.

XDhFjqY.jpg

eWNsSrs.jpg

G1tHgai.jpg

5CWnXxJ.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, hindesky said:

I forgot that this has an underground parking lot underneath. I wonder if they will demolish it too and start all over. The tiny demo equipment they have unloaded so far makes me think they will save it and just demo the top.

The renderings show garage entrances in their current locations; besides, The Catacombs fill up pretty well when all the venues are up and running.

Also, I'd have to find new parking for the mighty molluskmobile.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, mollusk said:

The renderings show garage entrances in their current locations; besides, The Catacombs fill up pretty well when all the venues are up and running.

Also, I'd have to find new parking for the mighty molluskmobile.

I didn't doubt they would have underground parking I just wondered if they were going to start all over and create a brand new garage for the mollusk mobile.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, hindesky said:

I didn't doubt they would have underground parking I just wondered if they were going to start all over and create a brand new garage for the mollusk mobile.

We haven't heard anything... then again, Houston First isn't exactly the best at communicating.  Best guess is that it's going to stay as is, though.  I think they may have finally finished repairing Harvey damage.

• Like 4

On 8/15/2015 at 11:36 AM, Montrose1100 said:
On 8/15/2015 at 9:56 AM, Specwriter said:

Jones Plaza is the reflecting pool in front of City Hall, right? I really like the allée of trees around it but agree it could use a bit of the Discovery Green / Market Square treatment to make it more attractive.

The city hall reflecting pool is fine. Tranquility is a disaster and needs cpr.

No way. Tranquility is great. I wish the fountain was turned back on already.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I couldn't get the image from ZSigler Coopers website, but if you go to this link they have 4 confidential images of a proposal for Bayou Palace that are pretty amazing.

Heres the link and I hope someone else can get the images to this site.

One of the images shows what must be some kind of performing arts center or some kind of museum.

Not sure but it sure looks great.

https://zieglercooper.com/hospitality-architecture/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bobruss said:

I couldn't get the image from ZSigler Coopers website, but if you go to this link they have 4 confidential images of a proposal for Bayou Palace that are pretty amazing.

Heres the link and I hope someone else can get the images to this site.

One of the images shows what must be some kind of performing arts center or some kind of museum.

Not sure but it sure looks great.

https://zieglercooper.com/hospitality-architecture/

See page 5 of this topic.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

I agree with the boss lady. Didn't want to say this sooner because I didn't know if people actually like this thing, but after many sad lunches I was like, was this built to be the most antagonistic thing possible? It was largely uncomfortable and those big steps sometimes hid whoever else was there so you'd be settling in for lunch and look over and be like "oh sh**" because you didn't notice another sad sap who worked in the area either eating their lunch or drinking out of a paper bag. Plus, it would get unfathomably hot (hence all the drinking going on in that area) I'm assuming because of all the concrete. 

Just wanna know who thought it was a great idea. I don't even want to know how much money was wasted on that. 

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, X.R. said:

I agree with the boss lady. Didn't want to say this sooner because I didn't know if people actually like this thing, but after many sad lunches I was like, was this built to be the most antagonistic thing possible? It was largely uncomfortable and those big steps sometimes hid whoever else was there so you'd be settling in for lunch and look over and be like "oh sh**" because you didn't notice another sad sap who worked in the area either eating their lunch or drinking out of a paper bag. Plus, it would get unfathomably hot (hence all the drinking going on in that area) I'm assuming because of all the concrete. 

Just wanna know who thought it was a great idea. I don't even want to know how much money was wasted on that. 

The plaza was built at the same time as Jones hall.  My guess is it was originally intended as a staging/gathering/socializing area for before and after concerts (evenings most likely).  At any rate, if nobody else I'm sure the Jones family thought it was a great idea at the timen (mid-60's).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, august948 said:

The plaza was built at the same time as Jones hall.  My guess is it was originally intended as a staging/gathering/socializing area for before and after concerts (evenings most likely).  At any rate, if nobody else I'm sure the Jones family thought it was a great idea at the timen (mid-60's).

This version of the plaza was not built at the same time as Jones Hall. The current version was built in, I believe, 2001.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

This version of the plaza was not built at the same time as Jones Hall. The current version was built in, I believe, 2001.

I was under the impression that the 2001 project was more of a renovation/modification than the total redo they're proposing now.

3 hours ago, august948 said:

I was under the impression that the 2001 project was more of a renovation/modification than the total redo they're proposing now.

It was a pretty major redo that supposedly would make it better for gatherings, but it was poorly reviewed from the start.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Yes I remember cutting the picture out of the chronicle and pasting it in a notebook. 

1 hour ago, EllenOlenska said:

Looking at it from above it looks like an interesting piece of work, but from the street it's extremely forbidding. I had no idea you could get "into it." I thought you had to pay to go in. 

"Hostile Architecture" is what the kids are calling it these days. It's meant to be uninviting to the public to avoid the unmentionables. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

On 6/3/2021 at 11:50 AM, X.R. said:

They wanted to get rid of the previous Chichen Itza hill to be more inviting and increase the capacity of the space, which they accomplished. Not sure who the architect was, but I remember them saying they chose the tile to evoke a Monet painting. Lots of good intentions but an unfortunate outcome.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 3