• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Triton said:

Very cool! Definitely unique

I went to one of the public meetings were they asked for feedback on the color palette and I pushed pretty hard for yellow accents on the bike path (or at least on the stripes that aren't put in yet) but I'll have to admit the white/slate looks pretty freaking good. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

The Theater District Master Plan calls for the replacement of Bayou Place with three blocks of entertainment venues and mixed used developments.   Theater District Master Plan

Yo, that is some great planning. It looks like they are getting at least some of what they want. Bayou Place has always seemed odd, I did not know it was converted from an old convention center. I swear, Blue Fish made more money from attorneys who couldn't find parking and just paid to valet than what they made from serving actual food. 

Would love to see that place go, its kinda whatever. But please have a small screen theater over there. Its nice to be able to go there for movies.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I’m hoping that one of those tower concepts is a hotel. The second rendering seems to show a theater/performing arts center of some kind. Can’t imagine what that might be, but adding more seats/venues to the district would be very exciting. Maybe it’s a movie theater replacement, but it seems a bit large/grand for that. 

Regardless whether or not this is a chosen concept, it shows that Houston First is thinking big. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Naviguessor said:

I’m hoping that one of those tower concepts is a hotel. The second rendering seems to show a theater/performing arts center of some kind. Can’t imagine what that might be, but adding more seats/venues to the district would be very exciting. Maybe it’s a movie theater replacement, but it seems a bit large/grand for that. 

Regardless whether or not this is a chosen concept, it shows that Houston First is thinking big. 

2KpN8R6.png

page 34 down gives you an idea of what they have in mind.

http://houstonfirst.com/static/media/uploads/attachments/theater_district_master_plan_02.02.15.pdf

Edited by nate4l1f3
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Naviguessor said:

I would guess that at least one of those towers would be a hotel.  The master plan calls for a new performance venue.  (I would not have expected it to be as big as shown in this rendering.)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

I would guess that at least one of those towers would be a hotel.  The master plan calls for a new performance venue.  (I would not have expected it to be as big as shown in this rendering.)

So the Wortham splits time with the ballet and opera, but I don't know that either of those are sought after enough for a new venue alone at this time (I could be wrong, I don't go so I don't know).  I could guess that the Hobby Center or Jones Hall would be the closest to being overprogrammed.  I have definitely wanted to go to a number of shows at the Hobby Center that were sold out so maybe a new venue could allow for more seating/extended runs?

• Like 3

The Houston Symphony could use a devoted venue. Jones Hall originally housed the opera, the ballet, and symphony—the acoustics aren’t as well tailored to the symphony as they could be. The Wortham Center was built with the idea of the orchestra being exclusively in the pit for ballet and opera, and it has the two theaters of different size to allow for different-scale productions. 

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 4/6/2021 at 11:30 AM, nate4l1f3 said:

"New Venue" is definitely intriguing. I doubt the symphony will want to move even closer to the bayou and its flooding but perhaps engineering can make them feel safe. The problem from what I've heard is that they get a lot of money from Houston Endowment and if they leave Jones Hall, it will kind of hurt Houston Endowment's feelings and endanger the money flow. The symphony had something like $200 million raised for a renovation of Jones Hall a few years ago which never happened, I think due to Harvey. Wonder what they did with the money.

• Like 5

"New venue" would be a replacement for Bayou Music Center, the venue formerly known as Revention - it's easy to forget, since its offerings weren't exactly on par with Cynthia Woods or Toyota.

Its first show this year will apparently be Ween on June 17. 

edit:  I now have Voodoo Lady as this afternoon's earworm... :ph34r:

Edited by mollusk
  • Like 3

The "new venue" is very unlikely to be intended for the symphony.  The Master Plan was being put together in the same time frame that the Jones Hall renewal was being formulated, so I don't think the Symphony is what they had in mind. And I think the Symphony is committed to Jones Hall.  More likely a replacement for Revention/Bayou Music Center.  The new Live Nation venue at Post does not necessarily mean Live Nation would not also want to continue with another, smaller venue.  (The Terminal will accommodate 5,000 people; BMC only 2,350, according to its website.)

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

The "new venue" is very unlikely to be intended for the symphony.  The Master Plan was being put together in the same time frame that the Jones Hall renewal was being formulated, so I don't think the Symphony is what they had in mind. And I think the Symphony is committed to Jones Hall.  More likely a replacement for Revention/Bayou Music Center.  The new Live Nation venue at Post does not necessarily mean Live Nation would not also want to continue with another, smaller venue.  (The Terminal will accommodate 5,000 people; BMC only 2,350, according to its website.)

Why would they bother having a second venue, which the newer venue is clearly meant to be a replacement for the first? There isn't enough of difference between 2,350 and 5,000 that that logic makes any inherent sense. Its more logical that the new 5,000 seat venue is a full on replacement for the older, smaller venue, made larger to accommodate bigger performances, while still being small enough that a smaller performance could make use of the space.

Besides, the new venue in the listing looks to be about the same size as Jones Hall itself, supported by the renderings we've seen, which currently accommodates performances with an audience of up to 2,912. Assuming it is for the Symphony Orchestra, it looks to be built to the optimal size for them, with a size large enough to accommodate up to 3000 people for attendance and have plenty of space for the orchestra's operations.