• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2021 at 4:50 PM, hindesky said:

Jn7iNgK.jpg

17 hours ago, hindesky said:

Looks like future columns for what I assume will elevate the area like it was before.

94H2k8i.jpg

With the lifting loops coming out of the top and the plastic sheet below, these are definitely temporary. It appears they are experimenting with concrete pigments.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/15/2018 at 12:21 PM, ttuchris said:

Has anyone seen any more information on Tranquility Park being renovated?  In my opinion, it needs more help than Jones Plaza.  I walked through this park and around City Hall over the weekend on my way to The Hobby Center.  The sidewalks are narrow and in extremely bad shape.  It seems like City Hall is used enough to justify improving this area.  This website says the fountains have been closed since 2013.  Maybe something will happen after the Bagby redo.  

Tranquillity Park Fountain - September 9, 2013 - Until Further Notice
Due to mechanical repairs, the Tranquillity Park fountain basin has been drained and the tall "stacks" will not be operational for the duration of the project.

http://www.houstontx.gov/parks/closedrepair.html

Can I re-up this question?  Is Tranquility Park just forgotten until the next "master plan"?

1 hour ago, mattyt36 said:

Can I re-up this question?  Is Tranquility Park just forgotten until the next "master plan"?

It honestly doesn’t even need to have a full gut. It’s just needs a light facelift. Improved sidewalks… updating landscaping… get the fountains working!

it could be super cool and kind of retro. But it’s useless right now.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Avossos said:

It honestly doesn’t even need to have a full gut. It’s just needs a light facelift. Improved sidewalks… updating landscaping… get the fountains working!

it could be super cool and kind of retro. But it’s useless right now.

It's just such a shame . . . it's been more than a decade now but that was a great place to walk around and take photos.  The columns really lined up well against the buildings behind the fountain.  Plus, it's TRANQUILITY PARK, commemorating the moon landing, so I can't help it's pretty pathetic we can't make it functional again.

Is there a major engineering or structural problem with the fountain or something?

• Like 3

I believe it’s damaged and was leaking into the garage it was built on…I may be wrong. So there’ll have to be quite a bit of structural work on the garage underneath. 

I know the planned rehab of the site was grouped alongside the Bagby Street redo in the Master Plan PDF, but there hasn’t been a whole lot else said about it. 

All I could find was this KHOU article from 2019, claiming there is a funding issue. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, Amlaham said:

Jones Hall is being renovated with a $25.5M price tag! No renderings but expected to be finished around 2024

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/lifestyle/article/Jones-Hall-undergoing-dramatic-changes-to-improve-17213960.php

$25.5 Million is the amount they've raised so far.  The total price tag is around $50 Million (and some of the work was already done during COVID; I'm no acoustician, but I think the acoustics are already noticeably improved).  The Symphony is doing their summer concerts in the Hobby Center, so that work can be done in Jones Hall.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

$25.5 Million is the amount they've raised so far.  The total price tag is around $50 Million (and some of the work was already done during COVID; I'm no acoustician, but I think the acoustics are already noticeably improved).  The Symphony is doing their summer concerts in the Hobby Center, so that work can be done in Jones Hall.

Has anyone seen renderings of the final design?  I'm curious if they will remove the hexagon ceiling "hangings" and where new bathrooms will be added.  I'd also love to hear what the musicians have to say about the acoustics.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2022 at 12:44 PM, Houston19514 said:

Early discussions for a renovation project involved a potential $200 million figure, before I think Hurricane Harvey scrapped everything. I seem to remember it was going to involve a complete gutting as well as adding a rooftop garden. At the time, I was disappointed that they weren't going to build a whole new symphony hall, as Hans Graf called for them to do twenty years ago. Although I will say that the last couple times I've been in town and seen Jones Hall, it had a certain venerable awe, maybe because I've lately been going to concerts at the Long Center in Austin.

Anyway... I'm just glad that they're even renovating it at all. You have to look at the glass half full. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...