Great shots, cityliving! 

Is there an updated opening date they’re targeting for this? Or is it still TBD? 

I think this is turning out to look really nice. Though I suppose once the fences all come down we’ll get a better idea of how it feels at street level. Hopefully much more inviting than its predecessor.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2023 at 10:39 AM, bookey23 said:

Bayou Place is such an eye-sore. I pray that that's next on the development list for the Theater District

Replace it with something tall enough to provide substantial afternoon shade in the summer and you'll increase the value of the park.

Edited by Nate99
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Nate99 said:

Replace it with something tall enough to provide substantial afternoon shade in the summer and you'll increase the value of the park.

Not a bad idea.  I'm not loving the square so far but maybe by the Fall it will be more appealing.  Bear in mind that the performing arts groups don't really perform downtown in the summertime.  The season kicks off in September.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Nate99 said:

I agree with this, but I also think that the shade will get much better when those trees mature.

Also, my number one hope for Bayou Place redevelopment would be *some* form of street engagement along new & improved Bagby. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, steve1363 said:

Bear in mind that the performing arts groups don't really perform downtown in the summertime.  The season kicks off in September.

The library has miniature concerts every week at noon year-round.  I wonder if this plaza could do something like that, except on a daily basis.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, tigereye said:

Did they nix the cascading water feature along Smith St? Looks like a pile of steps now without an enclosure for water. 

Really hope that this wasn’t a cost saving move.

I think it's still there.  Zoom in and you can see what are probably the jets or inlets where the water comes in to the feature.  The layout is pretty much as was shown in the renderings.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, hindesky said:

I think they plan on opening at the end of Sept. Workers were on site on Saturday when I took this pic.

BVwydGK.jpg

evbemIU.jpg

Symphony’s opening weekend is 9/29 - 10/1.  Perhaps they are coordinating with the grand opening of the park?

I don’t like those big bumper stickers on Jones Hall!  Take them off!

Edited by steve1363
  • Like 1

On 9/17/2023 at 5:42 PM, steve1363 said:

The fountains were running today.  I’m not digging those yellow “foul pole” colored lamp posts.  Let’s paint them dark green or black, and please get rid of those tacky banners on Jones Hall!

20230917_154437.jpeg.389aab853526a1eb724f8f789794b74a.jpeg

Got to see the fountains lit up tonight and snapped a pic. Looks like a nice inviting area. Even Jones Hall added some LED light rope on its roof. 

https://x.com/thachadwick/status/1703997631825895521?s=46&t=zrFvaO6tbFH7POh1WfkjuA

• Like 4

Houston First Corp. has scheduled the long-awaited opening of the Lynn Wyatt Square for the Performing Arts downtown for this week.

A grand opening event will be held Sept. 21, and the performing arts square will be open to the public starting Sept. 22.

During the square’s opening weekend, Houston First has scheduled a number of activities, including lawn games and live entertainment. However, the highlight will be interactive performances of “Bees,” which features human-sized bees busying themselves in the creation of a community alongside children in attendance. The performance was created by renowned Australian theater company, Polyglot Theatre.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2023/09/19/lynn-wyatt-square-opening-downtown.html

Should we be concerned there is no restaurant yet?

Edited by steve1363
  • Like 3

Grand Opening ceremonies were this morning at 9 am. Security guard said they had lots of people including the mayor and Oscar and Lynn Wyatt. They also had the horses and cowboys from the Wyatt Ranches. They replaced the blue tarps with grey ones. One person told me they need another six months to finish the project.

IELItjP.jpg

zyh2CAn.jpg

plFJwyW.jpg

6U3ngHY.jpg

3Si0X33.jpg

8rlpYIO.jpg

PD9B5Vb.jpg

txuEPFq.jpg

• Like 4