East End Lofts At 2115 Runnels St.

travelguy_73

OK, I'm SO not a rental apartment type of person, but the Alexan Lofts are pretty darn cool. I have a couple of friends who live there, and they seem to be high quality and very urban (unlike the new construction pseudo-lofts in other parts of downtown). Apparently, they were lofts before the management company took them over and renovated, but I'm not sure.

The only major downside, apart from the lack of retail, is the proximity of the well-used train tracks. I can't imagine that those trains are quiet as they come roaring just feet from the building at all hours of the day and night. My friends say they are oblivious to the sound, but still....I guess that is why they are rentals and not individually owned.

Does anyone else know of cool, not-as-well-known loft rentals? It might be good to get a list going to show that there is more to the downtown area than Post, Rice, and Calais!

Travelguy_73

• Like 1

Alexian Lofts used to be the old Mercado Del Sol (long and storied history). If you thought it is cool now, you would have loved it before they came in and carpeted over the fantastic wood flooring, and sheetrocked over the old brick.

My friends that live there, say that the trains don't bother them.

Another real (not pseudo) loft is Dakota Lofts in the warehouse district. Hurry up and visit that area befor they tear down the 100 year old buildings, and replace it with uglyness.

If we are not including midtown, others are Sabinne Street Lofts and Humble Tower. I've seriously thuoght about moving to Sabine Street or Lfts at the Ballpark, because you get a lot for your money. Ballpark seems a little isolated though.

Here are some pics. These are properties to rent.

Sabine Street Lofts

CH010164.JPG

Humble Tower/Courtyard/Residence Inn

humblerendering.jpg

• 5 years later...

Hi! Wondering if anyone can give me an idea if the Runnels street area where the Alexan Lofts are located is a quiet zone? I wouldn't mind the noise of the train going by, but the whistle would not be good. I saw some posts from 2009, but wondered if anyone could help me with an update.

Thanks!!

Please?! Really hoping someone on this board can tell me a bit about the train that runs on Runnels behind the Alexan Lofts and let me know whether it's a problem w/noise... Thanks again!!!

Please?! Really hoping someone on this board can tell me a bit about the train that runs on Runnels behind the Alexan Lofts and let me know whether it's a problem w/noise... Thanks again!!!

I didnt read through this entire thread to see if it answers your question, but take a look..

Edited by u080570

Depending on which part of the building you are in, you can feel the train rumble. Quiet zone or not, you can't do anything about that proximity. A few years ago, I knew a number of people who lived at the Alexan, and I loved each of their lofts...very unique spaces and common areas. I also like that the pool is separated from the building so that if parties get loud, residents aren't disturbed.

If it were me, I would focus on units that are on the other side of the building from the track.

I think I read somewhere that all of the tracks going through east end were supposed to be set to quiet zones at some point.

There was a link to a City document posted over the in Washington Ave quiet zone thread that noted the intersections in the East End that are proposed to go quiet...eventually.

• The title was changed to Alexan Lofts: Multifamily In Downtown
  • The title was changed to East End Lofts At 2115 Runnels St.