• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, bookey23 said:

Not sure if this is part of the master plan or just a fun Christmas installation, but there are now a ton of gold awnings and structures lining the Bagby bike lane.

City Lights.

https://www.downtownhouston.org/holidays/

https://www.downtownhouston.org/media/uploads/attachments/2022-11-11/CityLights_Trifold_9x12_Proof.pdf

• Like 1

Thats the Christmas decorations. They were beautiful last year! I highly recommend taking a walk along this new Christmas trail which will lead to the POST, for a great view of downtown all lit up, and something good to eat and drink!

Cheers!

• Like 5

On 11/17/2022 at 10:34 AM, Avossos said:

Does anyone have info / news on the old convention center redevelopment?

it has become a make-shift homeless shelter. The amount of trash has also significantly increased.

Agreed. Who is responsible for cleaning it up? City or county? Feels like spots of downtown and midtown have trended downward lately. Sick of it and ready for things to improve. 

Edited by urbanize713
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 11/23/2022 at 11:30 PM, urbanize713 said:

Agreed. Who is responsible for cleaning it up? City or county? Feels like spots of downtown and midtown have trended downward lately. Sick of it and ready for things to improve. 

The city owns the old convention center.  Agree with getting sick of the homeless camping and begging every where.  We (including the homeless) are being ill-served by our governments.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

The Congress St bridge improvements are my favorite. I love the idea of using stage lighting as well. So cool!

Feel like projects like this have their best chances of getting  off the ground when big events are  expected to come to town...because  the city becomes obsessed with putting it best foot foward , especially events that will be global 

• Like 2

My favorite announcements from that video were the Congress Street Bridge improvements and the Texas Street improvements. With the Astros being so good, that entire portion of Downtown should just contain as much orange decoration as possible to give it a sense of place. If we can't yet get a true ballpark district from Crane, the city should start taking matters into their own hands to give that area an identity.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Montrose1100 said:

The best & most important part of the before & after is people.

Think city leaders are wise up to.the reality that for the foreseeable future  big  office building  construction will dramatically slow, so  to keep downtown  Houston  alive , you will have to accelerate it transformation  to residential  

• Like 6

I think they also realize that possibly hundreds of thousands of visitors will be visiting Houston for major events in the next few years (most notably the World Cup) and they need to get a jump start on making things nice, since it'll be the biggest advertisement for the city of Houston in decades.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bookey23 said:

I think they also realize that possibly hundreds of thousands of visitors will be visiting Houston for major events in the next few years (most notably the World Cup) and they need to get a jump start on making things nice, since it'll be the biggest advertisement for the city of Houston in decades.

Houston has been getting a lot of good press lately as a top city in the U.S. and a top travel destination.  No need to oversell the World Cup 2026.  We just hosted the Super Bowl in 2017.  Anybody buying tickets to Quatar after the World Cup?  Does anyone remember the cities that hosted in Russia 2018 or Brazil 2014?  The one-time economic benefit is more important in my opinion.

Every major event in the city is good for the city. Sporting events are a great way to bring a lot of new people into the city, who otherwise would never have a reason to come here. We can disagree about how important the World Cup will be, but I think the Harris County Sports Authority has done a fantastic job of getting the city marquee sporting events. Over 1 decade we will host the Super Bowl (2017), the NCAA Final Four (2023), the NCAA CFB Championship (2025) and the World Cup (2026)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve1363 said:

Houston has been getting a lot of good press lately as a top city in the U.S. and a top travel destination.  No need to oversell the World Cup 2026.  We just hosted the Super Bowl in 2017.  Anybody buying tickets to Quatar after the World Cup?  Does anyone remember the cities that hosted in Russia 2018 or Brazil 2014?  The one-time economic benefit is more important in my opinion.

“No need to oversell” 

Cmon man. It’s the friggin World Cup.

Final Fours are nice. WrestleMania is too.

Super Bowl LI (2017) alone brought in $347 million to our local economy for ONE FOOTBALL GAME

The World Cup is the biggest sporting event worldwide and Houston will be hosting MULTIPLE matches, likely at least a Group Stage with potentially hosting additional knockout round matches for a global tournament that will be expanded (48 teams) in 2026. The revenue it might pump in to the local economy will eclipse any event this city has ever hosted in its entire history. It’s a global spotlight we’re fortunate to have. The city needs to capitalize on this massive opportunity. 

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 7