2111 Austin: Multifamily At 2111 Austin St.

skooljunkie

On 8/29/2019 at 2:26 PM, Texasota said:

No no that was my point. Bad 90's postmodernism is itself a misunderstanding of what postmodernism was trying to do. Non-judicious in your words.

"Unintentional" works too. Lots of examples, like this building, where they clearly think they're reproducing a classical style but don't understand things like scale or context and end up doing ...this.

I totally see your points... but I think I think it’s kind of cool. Intentional or not, having post modern examples in the city are overall rare will be an Easter egg when discovered (my opinion).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I like it, looks nice from the freeway and on the street the arches are kinda nice to look up at. I know some argued about its architecture, but this kind of reminds me of the Georgian-type stuff you'd see in College. Put another one of these just North on the same street and you could really be starting something in a part of midtown that is a little under-utilized for the average pedestrian. 

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, X.R. said:

I like it, looks nice from the freeway and on the street the arches are kinda nice to look up at. I know some argued about its architecture, but this kind of reminds me of the Georgian-type stuff you'd see in College. Put another one of these just North on the same street and you could really be starting something in a part of midtown that is a little under-utilized for the average pedestrian. 

There is just a lot detail wise that looks...off and always has since they released the images of the design. It definitely came out better than I thought it would. The white stone is what saves this in my eyes. I actually like this more when looking at it further away, but its up close were things look weird and not proportioned correctly. Had a project last year where we started designing a house with Georgian detailing, and learned a lot while reading extra on the side. Particularly I would have liked to see Quoins on the sides. I think that would have made the edges a lot more pronounced, and solid. Right now the building looks like its just floating.

57 minutes ago, Luminare said:

There is just a lot detail wise that looks...off and always has since they released the images of the design. It definitely came out better than I thought it would. The white stone is what saves this in my eyes. I actually like this more when looking at it further away, but its up close were things look weird and not proportioned correctly. Had a project last year where we started designing a house with Georgian detailing, and learned a lot while reading extra on the side. Particularly I would have liked to see Quoins on the sides. I think that would have made the edges a lot more pronounced, and solid. Right now the building looks like its just floating.

I do like Quoins.  Were you thinking at the corners or along the windowed arches?  Right now they give off that Kroger Signature Store from the 90s vibe to me.  Some more interest on the arches would have broken up the sameness of the floating section.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CasualObserver said:

I do like Quoins.  Were you thinking at the corners or along the windowed arches?  Right now they give off that Kroger Signature Store from the 90s vibe to me.  Some more interest on the arches would have broken up the sameness of the floating section.

Stop you are going to open pandora's box haha. I didn't think about that, but that would have definitely been a plus. While I like that they took the white vertically as a accent, adding Quoins going all the way up and around would have really made this pop. You are right, I was talking about the corners, I understand why they didn't, as they had to honor the visibility triangle meaning that the Quoins would have stopped short at the floating corner, but they could have made it work. The Kroger Store comparison to me comes with the scale of the cornice, and the keystones. The keystones should be at least x3 the size they are. The cornice isn't even really a cornice, but the bottom part of a cornice with the dentials, but then it wants the rest of what would be a cornice to finish on top. Whats also irritating is the belt course. There is no reason for the balcony to split the belt course.

Again with all of these grips its better than Camden Travis Street, and definitely better than Calais Midtown.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HoustonIsHome said:

Don't think it's bad.

Just as long as you don't get too close and don't stare too long it looks fine

How appropriate that this embodiment of "freeway architecture" has such a presence by the Pierce Elevated. 
To me, it's like the urban backgrounds in modern video games. At first glance I'm vaguely aware that something isn't quite right, and yet it almost looks real.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Blasphemy!!! 

Exactly! 

And, having been back and forth to the little village up north so many times not just in my younger days, but in the past few years, I've noticed a lot more soul sucking sameness (to quote Don Henley) has taken root there rather than here.  It's as if they've somehow got into their heads that because Houston got away with the ugliness and strip malls for decades while still growing phenomenally, that now they too, will try this approach?  I mean that place is so incredibly boring anyway (my apologies to my dear friends who live there), but now the "architecture" (and I use that term loosely) is taking a nose dive.  Way to go up there ! 

I'm so damned proud of Houston's ability to reinvent and change with the times and progress towards the future now, rather than later.  It is why we remain the largest city in Texas and 4th largest (almost 3rd largest) in the country.  Yes, there are many many other factors that have gotten us so far up in status over our 184 year history, but never underestimate the prestige of big bucks combined with aesthetics and forward thinking, and the willingness to take some real risks, when other places remain so stuck and frightened of the future.

As far as this project, I tend to like it from a distance as well.  But, when you get close, there is a sort of throwback to the not so distant past that seems a big over value-engineered.  Still, I'd rather have this project at this location rather than another ugly concrete lifeless parking lot.  Our potential for downtown skyscraper growth is through the roof now.  Problem mostly being with this question - Will those with the capitol to make it happen and the will to go big and tall, start to really take the next big leap in true Texas style and stay bully on Houston ?  Time will tell.  My bet is on an answer of yes, and not too far in the future.  Our financial and population diversity can only help as we go forward into this unsettled future in America.

Can't help still chuckling about the former name for the project "Milhaus" Midtown.  I still see the Simpson's character in my mind somehow as a huge moniker on the side of the building welcoming renters LOL !

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, West Timer said:

At least you won't need sunscreen in that pool.

That photo was taken at 3:30 PM, near the sun's minimum (winter) elevation. My guess is that during the summer (sun's maximum elevation) the northern half of the pool will get direct sun for 2-3 hours. So yes, no sunscreen necessary.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, cspwal said:

From the highway I thought it was a banner, because why would they make a permanent now leasing sign?

Because a building this size is always going to have apartments for lease. My building has a banner that says this it’s now leasing and it was built in the 90’s. 

• Like 4