The Susanne: Multifamily At 3833 Dunlavy St.

sevfiv

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People are allowed to be pessimistic here.  I'm not seeing where that amounts to being a bully, and I don't see where he put anyone down.  Back to the topic..

Yesterday Urbannizer (my HAIF hero, as it were) posted this interesting report link in the 1111 Travis topic:

http://www.downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2014-08-12/HDMD_Traditional_Retail_Base_Case_072514.FINAL.pdf

If you flip to about page 21 in the report there is a map of inner-loop average income by census tract.  It looks much as one would expect, with a distinct east-west divide.  Note that the part of Montrose roughly between Shepherd, Westheimer, Alabama and 59 is an island of lower income surrounded by higher (to the north, east and west) and much higher income (to the south and northwest) neighborhoods. 

To me this indicates that that that pocket of land is going to be under a lot of redevelopment/gentrification pressure.  I don't think this particularly means any urbanization, but I do think this sub-neighborhood is going to be transformed over the next decade.  

Thanks for this Subdude. If you look a little closer there is some interesting stuff going on there.  Tract 410800 looks to be west of Shepherd, south of Westheimer, north of Richmond, and west of Mandell.  That area shows slow future growth and a median income of $42k.  Interestingly, that tract contains deed restricted neighborhoods like Winlow Place and Mandell Place.  Compare it to the tract (410401) north of Westheimer and south of Gray, which has been blown out for townhomes.  That tract has a median income of $68k.  A couple of other observations, the Winlow/Mandell tract has 37% of its residents between 18-34, and 8.2% under 9.  The townhome tract is 25% between 18-34.  Breeders go to the deed restricted places, empty nesters to the townhomes.

I think its a neat illustration of the different neighborhoods in Montrose and the effect of the existing architecture and deed restrictions.  The deed restricted neighborhoods won't have as radical a transformation in demographics.  The old deed restricted places have longtime residents with more limited incomes who have been there for decades,or at least bought in when the area was affordable.  I thought the income difference in the Winlow/Mandell area was especially interesting -- 24% of households make over $100,000 per year, 32% make under $25,000.  In the townhouse tract, it is 33% over $100k, 19% under $25.   As a result of the restrictions, those areas will remain predominantly single family homes and there won't be an abundance of new households.  Consequently, the population growth projections are next to nothing and there will be more stability in incomes (although the median will certainly increase as the bungalows give way to McMansions).   

Anyway, that map is a striking reflection of where property restrictions are in the neighborhood -- the Cherryhurst area is similar too.

Thanks for posting.

• 1 month later...

SO what style is this apartment complex/ high-rise? Mediterranean, Prairie Influences, Italian? The roof-line looks Spanish. I'm confused. I'll save my comments on it's desirability for after my drive-by, visual experience. 

It's of the Beige School.

I'm noticing some very nice architectural details on second look at the actual photo. That main entrance is desirable, archway and canopy. see the rendering. I would have used a sculpture out front though. No pink bedding plants (rendering). Those look like cypress trees, and I hope redbuds. Please, no more crepe myrtles and oaks. Lets diversify. Italian cypress would do nicely, worked in somewhere, here. Yes, growing weary of the warm, yellow shade of beige, but I still like to see a cool grey-beige stucco accompanying dark green Italian cypress trees. Nice contrast. Overall, I think it's going to be good. 

Thanks Nena. A thoughtful post and well stated point of view. We don't get much of that on this site anymore it seems. It's like a whole new internet. I too believe that this particular project, of which I was very skeptical of, seems to be turning out better than I expected.

I'm noticing some very nice architectural details on second look at the actual photo. That main entrance is desirable, archway and canopy. see the rendering. I would have used a sculpture out front though. No pink bedding plants (rendering). Those look like cypress trees, and I hope redbuds. Please, no more crepe myrtles and oaks. Lets diversify. Italian cypress would do nicely, worked in somewhere, here. Yes, growing weary of the warm, yellow shade of beige, but I still like to see a cool grey-beige stucco accompanying dark green Italian cypress trees. Nice contrast. Overall, I think it's going to be good. 

Exactly. Spot on analysis. Lots of the motifs are toned down in this one which works better in the grad scheme of the entire building. So many times do you see people try to rub in classicism in everyones face just so they can say LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! I'M CLASSY! This is more understated. I.....I'm sorry I just can't do beige anymore. Once you been at A&M for 4 years it kills whatever appeal beige once had :P

As for the trees. I'm all for diversifying just as long as we aren't throwing in a bunch of palm trees so we can look like we are on the beach or Miami -.-

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised HEB didn't make that a Central Market, but maybe in other parts of town...

HEB has gone to the hybrid concept here in Houston.  This and a bunch of their other newer stores (but not all) are HEB Markets and they include a bunch of the features found in Central Markets. 

Montrose Market

Buffalo Market

Cypress Market

Pearland Market

etc., etc. 

HEB has gone to the hybrid concept here in Houston. This and a bunch of their other newer stores (but not all) are HEB Markets and they include a bunch of the features found in Central Markets.

Montrose Market

Buffalo Market

Cypress Market

Pearland Market

etc., etc.

It's interesting that in Dallas they seem to be all Central Market. I wonder if they think the clientele there are more sophisticated?

central market, is supposed to be the flagship / bridge component of the HEB brand.  if there are that many central market's in the dallas market.. then they are doing pretty good for themselves.  i guess...

5 in DFW

2 in Austin

1 in Houston

1 in San Antonio

Part of the difference could be that H-E-B already had a brand presence in Houston before Central Market came, whereas Dallas has no other H-E-B stores. Otherwise it's a little insulting. If west Fort Worth or Plano can support a Central Market, I'm pretty sure Montrose and The Woodlands can.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for posting these pictures but they honestly don't do it justice. There's an angle I really like of this complex that makes it look absolutely beautiful and un-Houston like. I'm waiting for just the right weather and sunlight to take it. It's hard to explain what it reminds me of.... This came out really nice honestly. Much better than I expected.

I don't think you can find a much better location. Its across the street from a handsome HEB by Lake Flato, just around the corner

from The Menil Museum, Cy Twombly Pavillion, Rothko Chapel, Bookstore, Bistro and Park not to mention the future home to the

Drawing Institute, , Imprint, and St. Thomas University. Go farther east and you have Sicardi gallery, The photography Center and A.O.S. and

the Greek Orthodox campus. Just a short bike ride to the MFAH campus. Also the rail will run down Richmond someday. This is an outstanding

location and will be one of the most desirable areas of Houston to live in. Its proximity to downtown, Buffalo Bayou park, Rice U. and the med center also make it the perfect place for this luxury housing.

Its in the creative center of Houston!

Archived