The Susanne: Multifamily At 3833 Dunlavy St.

sevfiv

I don't think you can find a much better location. Its across the street from a handsome HEB by Lake Flato, just around the corner

from The Menil Museum, Cy Twombly Pavillion, Rothko Chapel, Bookstore, Bistro and Park not to mention the future home to the

Drawing Institute, , Imprint, and St. Thomas University. Go farther east and you have Sicardi gallery, The photography Center and A.O.S. and

the Greek Orthodox campus. Just a short bike ride to the MFAH campus. Also the rail will run down Richmond someday. This is an outstanding

location and will be one of the most desirable areas of Houston to live in. Its proximity to downtown, Buffalo Bayou park, Rice U. and the med center also make it the perfect place for this luxury housing.

Its in the creative center of Houston!

actually, i now concur!  what was i thinking?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for posting these pictures but they honestly don't do it justice. There's an angle I really like of this complex that makes it look absolutely beautiful and un-Houston like. I'm waiting for just the right weather and sunlight to take it. It's hard to explain what it reminds me of.... This came out really nice honestly. Much better than I expected.

16530986875_dfd862a41f_h.jpg

TheSusanne by marclongoria, on Flickr

Well I still don't think I captured the angle that I want because I would have to actually get in the street... but with the oak trees and just everything else around it, I really like this side of the building.

16343504580_9fb31812a8_h.jpg

TheSusanne by marclongoria, on Flickr

• 1 month later...

So I generally like all of Finger's developments, and I'm sure I will be in the minority here, but I'm not a fan of this project.  The location and height are great, but it simply looks like a taller, bigger Urban Living town home.   It is probably the dark grey and light great stucco combination, but it appears cheap.  Perhaps it will get better, but I look at it every time I'm at Whole Foods and am disappointed.  

I agree with you! Its not the scale or location but the stucco and the trim around the windows. Especially the vertical sections that

extend out another two feet. I don't know if its the colors or the finishing details but it looks a little off for such a high end

project. It just looks like something that will have scaffolding around it next year to fix the stucco problems.

• 3 weeks later...

I do not understand the dislike on this project at all... I am very critical in general, but this project is a solid B+ on my scale. Here is why:

1. What is it replacing? A dated, auto strip center that had zero architectual value. No homes were destroyed.

2. It is an 8 story, estate like apartment complex. It has great lines and articulation. Feels big city / exclusive neighborhood to me

3. It adds to the neighborhood - Although ground retail is spoken about often, I think in this situation, it is almost better without. Retail is coming around it

4. The color doesnt bother me. I can't imagine a color that would look profoundly better...

5. The archway in the front it perfect / inviting / and centers the development.

Overall, i wish the materials werent stucco, I am always a champion of brick in Houston, but the shape and presence of this building makes it a B+ (brick would have been an A)

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.bisnow.com/archives/newsletter/local-real-estate/houston/4776-multifamily-monday-a-sneak-peek-at-the-susanne/

Marvy Finger's The Susanne has started welcoming residents; the second floor will deliver units on May 1.

73368_1430088477_ErinSweeney-medium.JPG

Finger Co property manager Ellie Sweeney showed us around the 396-unit property, which is still under construction. It began inking leases mid-February and is 33% leased, with nine people already in residence on the first floor. 30 more will move in next month when the second floor (of eight) completes, and the team expects it to be 50% leased by June 1. The pool opens in two weeks, and all common areas will be done by June 15. The second phase is flying along and will open in July, much sooner than planned. The entire property will be done construction by the end of October, Ellie says.

73368_1430088483_Susanne-medium.JPG

The Susanne is at the corner of West Alabama and Dunlavy, directly across the street from HEB Montrose. (80% of potential resident traffic has been from HEB shoppers, Ellie tells us, and the community is giving residents little collapsible shopping carts to bring groceries home.) The floors are separated by 6” of concrete, which keeps everything quiet—construction was going on a story above us and we couldn't hear a thing. Some unique features are these giant bay windows and balconies, from which residents will be able to see Downtown and Galleria skylines.

Wow! It's almost like people like the convenience of living right near where they shop, eat, and work rather than travel 5mins to the highway big box store, 5-15mins to whatever pad retail site, and 1hr to where they work! Genius! What an amazing concept

Wow! It's almost like people like the convenience of living right near where they shop, eat, and work rather than travel 5mins to the highway big box store, 5-15mins to whatever pad retail site, and 1hr to where they work! Genius! What an amazing concept

Lol... yeah I started to realize how each of these developments are usually behind a dry cleaners and a corner store/ gas station. Houston seems to fit this model perfect!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to The Susanne: Multifamily At 3833 Dunlavy St.

Archived