Downtown Houston 2025 Master Plan

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

I'm one of those patrons that will utilize the rail to get to and from the theater district. When we don't stay overnight to make a weekend out of it, we park a decent distance to get agreeable parking. The hobby garage, as I have learned is a bear to get out of after a performance.

Besides it'll make it easier to have a good meal before and after the performance.

I think you have it backwards. Montrose, Midtown, and Heights are still adding people and retail, it is downtown that is catching up. 

That may be the case here in Houston, but once a stable downtown is created, it's only going to have a greater effect on outlining neighborhoods. Houston is spread out, so yeah those neighborhoods have developed very organically, with little to no help from downtown activity, which is really a good thing. What I'm saying is that when downtown DOES become a more centralized hub of activity, it can only build on itself outwards toward those neighborhoods, thus enhancing whats already been created.

• Like 1

I'm a frequent Theater District patron and performer.  I see people in tuxes on the existing rail all the time.  Many actually enjoy the walk from Preston station down to the Wortham. 

It's not a lot of the older patrons, but trust me there are a fair amount of 40 and under that do this.  More rail means the number can only grow. 

That may be the case here in Houston, but once a stable downtown is created, it's only going to have a greater effect on outlining neighborhoods. Houston is spread out, so yeah those neighborhoods have developed very organically, with little to no help from downtown activity, which is really a good thing. What I'm saying is that when downtown DOES become a more centralized hub of activity, it can only build on itself outwards toward those neighborhoods, thus enhancing whats already been created.

Couldn't agree more with this.  The development in the shoulder neighborhoods is almost dizzying.  It's Downtown's turn to get in on the hot residential market. 

Take it from someone who is apartment hunting right now.  I've been SHOCKED to find that Montrose/ Midtown is actually competitive with Downtown highrises.  There are garage apartments renting in Montrose right this second for $1200/mo, but it only costs 1100/mo to move to Houston House.  The inner loop market (with the exception of most things EAST of I-45) is simply bonkers right now. 

Downtown residential will be welcomed because any inner loop residential is being welcomed. 

Couldn't agree more with this. The development in the shoulder neighborhoods is almost dizzying. It's Downtown's turn to get in on the hot residential market.

Take it from someone who is apartment hunting right now. I've been SHOCKED to find that Montrose/ Midtown is actually competitive with Downtown highrises. There are garage apartments renting in Montrose right this second for $1200/mo, but it only costs 1100/mo to move to Houston House. The inner loop market (with the exception of most things EAST of I-45) is simply bonkers right now.

Downtown residential will be welcomed because any inner loop residential is being welcomed.

Allen house is the only cheap apartment in montrose area

I really think Houston will soon be a vastly underrated convention city/major sports events city by the time the Superbowl arrives in 2017. By the major sports events, I mean all star games, NCAA final 4, college bowl games, superbowls, soccer matches, world cups, and Olympics.

If ever Olympics, dear god let most of the events be indoors. Houston-summer Olympics- I wouldnt wish that on my worst enemy!

Will downtown still be cheap to live in, in 2017? That's the big question, b/c if only those who can afford $1,700/month rent can live there, then I think it's a bust. If more condo's enter the market, then all bets are off. Downtown is still as sleepy as when I moved here in 2010.

If DT rents are still at $1700/month by 2017, I will be really happy (as a renter)

If DT rents are still at $1700/month by 2017, I will be really happy (as a renter)

That would be the rent floor for an efficiency at only the Houston House, average rent would be in the $2500-3500 range. I'm saying having the low end of the market ($1000-2000) will help churn young professionals through the nab and establish the idea of downtown as a neighborhood. If only older professionals can afford downtown then they will not flock when they can get more space at a discount nearby or will lease the apartments as second homes (i.e. not actually live there like half of One Park Place).

edit:

Downtown's new problem will be a limited amount of the type/designs of available space. Maybe the city will allow developers to build micro-apts in the 300-600 sq.ft. range..

Edited by infinite_jim

I actually think that the continued growth of downtown is going to be a short term setback for development in Midtown.

I think you have it backwards. Montrose, Midtown, and Heights are still adding people and retail, it is downtown that is catching up.

I actually think that the growth of residential downtown is going to hurt Midtown short term.

Edited by livincinco

That would be the rent floor for an efficiency at only the Houston House, average rent would be in the $2500-3500 range. I'm saying having the low end of the market ($1000-2000) will help churn young professionals through the nab and establish the idea of downtown as a neighborhood. If only older professionals can afford downtown then they will not flock when they can get more space at a discount nearby or will lease the apartments as second homes (i.e. not actually live there like half of One Park Place).

edit:

Downtown's new problem will be a limited amount of the type/designs of available space. Maybe the city will allow developers to build micro-apts in the 300-600 sq.ft. range..

Try $1130 as the rent floor... CHEAPER than several new complexes in Montrose/ Midtown

Houston House

http://aim.force.com/locatormls/apex/houstonhouse?id=a19F0000001HgZ2

Check some other places downtown.  It's not as much as you might think...

How's that? The midtown crowd is into partying a lot more than downtown. Seems like two separate groups to me.

Just my opinion, but I think that residential development in South Downtown will steal from development in Midtown in the short term. But then again, I've never been that bullish on Midtown. The party scene tends to move in Houston.

Just my opinion, but I think that residential development in South Downtown will steal from development in Midtown in the short term. But then again, I've never been that bullish on Midtown. The party scene tends to move in Houston.

It seemed like party scene was headed to Washington but has come back to midtown, because there are so many places within walkable distance.

As much as I would hate for it to happen it looks like to me they would change the facade. The dark glass is what makes this downtown building iconic in my eyes.

Looking at the teaser, everything is blacked out except the Pennzoil Place itself. Which to me signals a change in the facade color.

As much as I would hate for it to happen it looks like to me they would change the facade. The dark glass is what makes this downtown building iconic in my eyes.

Looking at the teaser, everything is blacked out except the Pennzoil Place itself. Which to me signals a change in the facade color.

I was thinking that too actually, but honestly I think if they do anything they'll renovate the inside and if they replace the outside it will be with the exact same look just upgraded material. They would have to bee insane to change the look in any way to this building. I think we're all over reacting.