Downtown Houston 2025 Master Plan

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

I think the issue of economic stratification is being ignored here. While it is true that without the presence of early adoptors the Downtown and Midtown areas would be dormant, it does not bode well for the economic well being of a city if all the "prime" areas become an enclave for walk-on from 'Friends'.  I take it none of you know what it is like for the armies of anonymous copper skinned labor who troll around in slow Metro buses commuting in the wee hours from the suburban slums outside the Loop.

I suppose that is why I enjoy the Montrose, and while it is succumbing to gentrification, its mishmash of cultures and socio-economic levels ensure its egalitarian nature in a city where that is disappearing.

Since you specifically stated "suburban slums OUTSIDE the Loop", are you implying that everything outside the Loop is a slum and that there are no slums inside the Loop?

I also don

Instead of trying to relocate low-income group to an affluent neighborhood, a better approach would be for the city to improve quality of life in low-income neighborhoods by enhancing the infrastructure and public services such as health and education.

I tend to agree with this. It would also be nice if there was a way to intice commercial entities to take a chance on poorer neighborhoods. One of the biggest problems for lower income communities is that a.) there aren't much in the way of convenient shopping options in their neighborhoods and b.) this lack of retail/commerce affects the overall property values in the neighborhood, thereby lowering the amount of taxes collected in that neighborhood, which affects a municipalities ability to provide rudimentary services, such as street lighting and so forth.

On the flipside, isolated areas of lower income residents would more restrict that areas ability to receive upgraded city services as opposed to if they were integrated into a more prosperous taxing zone.

as for as the bike path to downtown. The only bayou except for Buffalo that can have trails is White Oak. Concepts have been circulating to exten White Oak's Trail system to Downtown. I don't know the progress of it though.

as for as the bike path to downtown.  The only bayou except for Buffalo that can have trails is White Oak.  Concepts have been circulating to exten White Oak's Trail system to Downtown.  I don't know the progress of it though.

The bike paths are slowly being extended. There is a new section on the north side of Buff. Bayou that runs from the Frostown site eastward to past the Alexan lofts. The problem is it dead-ends on two sides, so you have to know how to find it since it isn't readily accessible from the street. Great planning there. Not. <_<

• 3 months later...

It is in Adobe Acrobat format just as a warning, but if you look at the aerial view on Page 2 and continuing on page 3 it is pretty accurate from the new Civil Justice Center that is almost complete, the Root Memorial Park in front of Toyota Center, that proposal, maybe dead, for the 30 story condo tower in front of Doubletree Hotel, the new park in front of GRB, the Downtown Transit Center recently completed on Main, the residential addition for Bayou Place, and lots more. Don't know what that cool looking tower is between the two Enron buildings. Oh yeah they even have the I-45 tunnel in there with the bridge going into the tunnel on Page 2.

Plus if you go to Page 13 there is a rendering for the Sakowitz building retail with Houston Pavilions across the street on Dallas. Plus you can see the Humble Building/Courtyard by Marriott in the background. Seems pretty realistic.

Here is the link.

http://www.houstondowntown.com/ImagesFiles...ork%20p1-18.PDF

this has been posted before but it is definitely a intriguing and ambitious vision for houston...i really like the overall appearance

I know. I probably heard about the plan the same time everyone else heard about it months ago, but I thought it was exciting to see the renderings of projects that were not even announced to the public yet when the 2025 plan was announced.

I don't want to wait until 2025, I want it now! I'll be like 42 in 2025, I probably won't even want to go downtown by then, all those dang kids!

There are venues in downtown where you will find plenty of 40's and 50's vintage humans. Some have even been sighted with beer and woman.

There are venues in downtown where you will find plenty of 40's and 50's vintage humans. Some have even been sighted with beer and woman.

I suppose you're right, I mainly think of the Main Street club scene. Oh, and they need a Taco Bell downtown.

I don't want to wait until 2025, I want it now! I'll be like 42 in 2025, I probably won't even want to go downtown by then, all those dang kids!

Damn..I'm with you...only difference is that I'm going to be 64yo....!!!!! :angry::angry:

• 1 year later...
Guest Plastic

DOwntown has been under the knofe for about 10 years now. They've put stadiums, clubs,entertainment centers and apartments. While that's been done there's anew plan to move 50,000 people in. Now I say this is a logisyical nightmare cause there's not nearly enough places for them to eat, shop, and park their cars DOwntown.

With all that that's gonna be a heache. SO we're definetly gonna need some rail. SInce more people could be DOwntown more jobs could come, therefore bringing more peole and making the DOwntown streets extremely crowded. If that's not enough there might be a signifigant drain on electricity, water,a nd gas. WItht his and the general DOwntown redevelopment there needs to be another project...........one to make DOwntown look better.

It's got things in it but it's still not appealing visually. Outside the 7 or so large skyscraper syou can see from afar there are alot of old rusty rundown looking buildings DOwntown. And it's not just the age. Alot of these buildings are from the 60s and 70s when buildings were these unaesthetically pleasing brown boxes. I mean you've got the beauty of the buildings on Smith street and the older ones further east like on Main. There needs to be a movement to give DOwntown a new colorful 21st century look. Those Downtown Destination signs look pretty neat. That and more colorfaull signs, trafficlights, and sculptures on each block could make DOwntown look neat.

But what would really take it off is lighting. Dallas's DOwntown is alot better lit than our at night. Northern citites like New York and Chicago are well lit at night because there's lots of people living in them at nightime. Have all types of neon, lights, Tvs,glow in the dark stuff, strobes, flourescent light tubes,and even spotlights. We're a hi-tech space city but not at nightime. The only time DOwntown was lit was during The Laser Show(Rendevouz Houston) in 1986 and the 3 Power Of Houston ceremonies. It would be cool if the street lines had refelectors on them and if the lightpoles glowed.

What do you guys think about creating a special place in the forum just for Plastic's posts?

LOL i was wondering when you were going to chime in. i leave the executive decision to you!

Edited by musicman

What do you guys think about creating a special place in the forum just for Plastic's posts?

Let's not make fun of Plastic, after all downtown has been under the "knofe" for a number of years now. Plus, to create a "special section" in the forum for our beloved Plastic would be a "logisyical nightmare".