Downtown Houston 2025 Master Plan

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

I was thinking that too actually, but honestly I think if they do anything they'll renovate the inside and if they replace the outside it will be with the exact same look just upgraded material. They would have to bee insane to change the look in any way to this building. I think we're all over reacting.

I certainly do hope we are overreacting. I'd protest if they changed the exterior facade look.

Why? Do you own the building? If not, then it's really none of your business.

Just like it was none of our business trying to not bomb the cultural landmarks of Europe during WWII. We don't own any of them, what where we thinking?!? And the River Oaks theater... None of us owned it, so why save it?

Lets propose to the owners of The Enpire State Building to do the facade in a light blue glass!

• Like 2

Just like it was none of our business trying to not bomb the cultural landmarks of Europe during WWII. We don't own any of them, what where we thinking?!? And the River Oaks theater... None of us owned it, so why save it?

Lets propose to the owners of The Enpire State Building to do the facade in a light blue glass!

Why would you care if the RO theater gets torn down? It's not a significant building, any more so than any of the other early strip malls on Gray are.

Relax friend, even though our constitutional rights have been eroding away over the years I do still have my right to free speech just like you do. 

But why waste the effort complaining about what someone does to their property? I like looking at great buildings too, but I am not personally invested in whether they exist or not.

But why waste the effort complaining about what someone does to their property? I like looking at great buildings too, but I am not personally invested in whether they exist or not.

I seriously don't understand this mindset.

So, you wouldn't care if your neighbor tears down their house and opens a tire dump/meth lab? You wouldn't care if the Pennzoil Towers were altered? You don't care if the last remaining vintage theater shuts down? All because you don't own them? 

What an odd thing to say on an architecture forum. Hopefully you don't work for any companies that own beautiful properties in this city. Or worse, have any say in the fate of such said buildings.

What an odd thing to say on an architecture forum. Hopefully you don't work for any companies that own beautiful properties in this city. Or worse, have any say in the fate of such said buildings.

I believe more in property rights than I do in my ability to look at cool buildings. If the owners of the Pennzoil building decide that it is in their best interest to change the facade, why is it anyone's business but theirs, assuming they meet any life safety requirements and abide by any deed restrictions?

I seriously don't understand this mindset.

So, you wouldn't care if your neighbor tears down their house and opens a tire dump/meth lab? You wouldn't care if the Pennzoil Towers were altered? You don't care if the last remaining vintage theater shuts down? All because you don't own them? 

Nice strawman with the meth lab reference. I think we were talking about the appearance of buildings, not the use of toxic chemicals in a residential area (we also have deed restrictions that limit the size and placement of meth labs and dumps within the neighborhood, and require some pretty strong fencing, with appropriate signage, to protect the neighbors). I might be bothered by changes in the Pennzoil building, but why would it matter? It's not my property, the owners don't owe me any obligation to maintain the appearance. I thought the changes to the Centerpoint building across from 1100 Louisiana were pretty darned ugly, and not something I would have done, but it's their building, they have to live with it.

I think the use of the police power of the City of Houston to force property owners to adhere to the aesthetic desires of random people in the community is undemocratic and unfair. Why shouldn't Weingarten, or any other property owner, especially commercial property, be able to change their property to meet the needs of their customers?

Nice strawman with the meth lab reference. I think we were talking about the appearance of buildings, not the use of toxic chemicals in a residential area (we also have deed restrictions that limit the size and placement of meth labs and dumps within the neighborhood, and require some pretty strong fencing, with appropriate signage, to protect the neighbors). I might be bothered by changes in the Pennzoil building, but why would it matter? It's not my property, the owners don't owe me any obligation to maintain the appearance. I thought the changes to the Centerpoint building across from 1100 Louisiana were pretty darned ugly, and not something I would have done, but it's their building, they have to live with it.

I think the use of the police power of the City of Houston to force property owners to adhere to the aesthetic desires of random people in the community is undemocratic and unfair. Why shouldn't Weingarten, or any other property owner, especially commercial property, be able to change their property to meet the needs of their customers?

We live in a community. The thoughts of people matter.

• Like 1

I believe more in property rights than I do in my ability to look at cool buildings. If the owners of the Pennzoil building decide that it is in their best interest to change the facade, why is it anyone's business but theirs, assuming they meet any life safety requirements and abide by any deed restrictions?

I believe in property rights as much as the next person. I don't believe anyone here has said that we have any legal right to stop someone from changing the look of their property, but we do live in a country that we have the freedom to at least voice our opinion in opposition of such changes. If they refuse to listen to our concerns and go through with it then so be it, it is on them. But those of us who love architecture and history have a voice and we will use it, regardless if it makes a difference.

I'd rather use my tongue to speak than to merely bite it.

• Like 2

Yes, Ross, a property owner, here, can do with their property what they wish (generally speaking and within reason). However, neighbors or the public, do not have to just sit back and ignor it. If Transwestern we to propose or announce changes that would alter the architectural significance of a madterpiece, your darn right that the neighbors and public can insert themselves into the situation. And I hope that we would. No...we can't force them not to. But, helping them understand the problem by voicing objections is what must be done. Now...I am sure Transwestern knows better than anyone what a treasure that they control and own. Yes, they must stay competitive and must improve the property in order to Save the property. But, this does not necessarily mean that they must alter the appearance of the exterior, for which the building is prized. That'd be just foolish. Lets hope they are not fools.

Everyone has the right to express their opinion, and the property owners have the right to ignore the opinions. Where it gets bad is when the protestors start trying to convince the city to pass an ordinance that enforces the protestors sense of aesthetics, which has happened every time there's a rumor that he RO theater is going to be demolished.

• Like 1

We live in a community. The thoughts of people matter.

So Vik, are you saying that if I build a great building that people love, I shouldn't be able to tear it down 30 years later if I get tired of it? That seems pretty much like telling Bob Dylan he couldn't play electric guitar instead of acoustic.

So Vik, are you saying that if I build a great building that people love, I shouldn't be able to tear it down 30 years later if I get tired of it? That seems pretty much like telling Bob Dylan he couldn't play electric guitar instead of acoustic.

That's why I hate the "community" liberals have created. It usually means a small minority are going to try and bully the masses into what they tell you is good for you. This new concept of community is just an erosion of personal freedom.

So, just to reset the conversation, everyone is getting all worked up about a renovation that, at last check, is really just something that has been guessed at on this forum. Don't you think that it might be a good idea to find out what the plans actually are before the outrage starts?

• Like 2

Everyone has the right to express their opinion, and the property owners have the right to ignore the opinions. Where it gets bad is when the protestors start trying to convince the city to pass an ordinance that enforces the protestors sense of aesthetics, which has happened every time there's a rumor that he RO theater is going to be demolished.

Sometimes the value of a building to the community is greater than to the owner.

Sometimes the value of a building to the community is greater than to the owner.

So, is your argument that if the community, whoever that is, decides the building is worth more to them than to the owner, the owner ought to bow to the desires of the community without compensation?

So, just to reset the conversation, everyone is getting all worked up about a renovation that, at last check, is really just something that has been guessed at on this forum. Don't you think that it might be a good idea to find out what the plans actually are before the outrage starts?

Seems like we may have to wait till the first of the year to find that out.

Sure and such buildings are generally designated as national landmarks. Seems like a stretch to me to put this building at that level.

Pennzoil Place earned Johnson a Pritzker. The three most architecturally significant buildings in houston are probably the Menil, MFAH, and Pennzoil.

Landmark designation tends to happen *after* 50 or years, though exceptions are made. Pennzoil is less than 40 years old.

• Like 1

Pennzoil Place earned Johnson a Pritzker. The three most architecturally significant buildings in houston are probably the Menil, MFAH, and Pennzoil.

Landmark designation tends to happen *after* 50 or years, though exceptions are made. Pennzoil is less than 40 years old.

OK, I'm clearly not an architect. :)