Downtown Houston 2025 Master Plan

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

What do you guys think about creating a special place in the forum just for Plastic's posts?

AYE !

But, it should be called, "PLastec's PistS". I wanted to put Plastic on ignore, but he is such a train wreck that I just have to look !

Edited by TJones

I think there should be a section in the "way off topic" called "PLasTic's PoSt'S"

No, call it: "Paper, or Plastic?"

FWIW, I don't mind his posts. At least he's not always ranting about something irrelevant, based off of jaded views developed from a skewed political agenda.

Edited by Jeebus

Plastic - Don't post in "Going Up" unless the topic belongs there. Have the courtesy to at least find the correct sub-forum.
DOwntown is going up.

Oh snap! He told you Subdude.

Edited by Jeebus

AYE !

But, it should be called, "PLastec's PistS". I wanted to put Plastic on ignore, but he is such a train wreck that I just have to look !

Cosign. Am I the only one that finds PlaStiC's posts funny as hell? Everytime I read a word spelled the Plastic way, I crack up. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't understand wy so many people are attacking Plastic's original post (maybe there is a history I am not aware of).

Aside from a little rambling, he/she does seem to raise some good points about the challanges the city may face (whether they will really happen or not).

Perhaps it is easier to attack the messenger than to address the issues in the message? Let's address his original concerns

• 11 months later...
Aren't alot of these blocks already accounted for, including the Pavilions project?

From the top left picture I can't tell what part of downtown that is. It looks like it's running north/south from the Pierce elevated.

But then the bottom left picture is actually very ambiguous. It looks like it has Discovery Green and OPP in the model but I can't tell where their project plan is.

From the top left picture I can't tell what part of downtown that is. It looks like it's running north/south from the Pierce elevated.

But then the bottom left picture is actually very ambiguous. It looks like it has Discovery Green and OPP in the model but I can't tell where their project plan is.

I agree, it is VERY difficult to tell where this project is. I'll print this out. I'm going to be in an office with a view in a few hours and see if I can match them up.

Obviously this is proposed.

No, it isn't.

Various government and non-profit groups seem to make it a habit to pay architecture firms lots of money on a regular basis for "visioning". The architects get to put together a fantasy scenario irrespective of there being different property owners, existing buildings alone the way, that infrastructure may or may not be able to support what they'd like to see, that parking garages are an urban necessity, that traffic engineers would object to various aspects, or that a development of such large scale would take 10 or 15 years to complete even if there was a master developer and market conditions remained good.

I've seen such crazy stuff as new diagonal streets and roundabouts carved through the existing street grid.

No, it isn't.

I guess proposed wasn't the right word. I meant to imply that it was only drawings and was not set to be implemented, basically what you said. I thought it was more of a visionary thing but wasn't for sure.

Needs more greenspace. In cities around the country developers are falling over themselves to put up high rises next to parks, even small ones.

I know one project where the developer built a private park to entice people to move into condos along the edge. Then once it was mostly sold, he turned the park over to the city to maintain. Of course, maintenance has gone to Hell, but now the developer doesn't have to pay for it anymore, and the city can give people tickets for throwing frisbees.

Anyway, those strips of green are a nice thought, but they need to be more substantial.

The top two renders appear to be showing one concept - flanking Main.

The bottom two appear to be their development ideas for what became Discovery Green... they have 3 of the 4 blocks now used as park being developed.

Main street from the top two renders isn't shown in the bottom left render.

It says 9 block development but they're showing 12 block in the upper left study...

Odd, disjointed and outdated project focus.... why they still have it up there, i dont know.

I believe these are from a few years back. There have been several "visioning" projects over the years. One was focused on redeveloping Main Street with a series of squares. It may have been the same one with the diagonal blvd. from the cathedral to the convention center.

No harm in it. The plans are always fun to look at.

• 1 year later...

The Main Street TIRZ is lobbying for a developer to create a new project. The details and application are here for those interested:

Proposal Submittal Deadline: 3:00 p.m., July 29, 2009

"The Downtown Redevelopment Authority seeks information and expressions of interest from developers with the capacity and desire to plan for and undertake the land acquisition, development, and financing of one or more affordable workforce housing developments. Over the remaining 15-year life of the DRA, the DRA plans to commit up to $20 million in funds toward the Proejct, subject to annual budgeting availability and authority. The DRA seeks a developer that will most efficiently leverage the DRA funding contribution with other private and public funds to create the most possible units of workforce housing at the most affordable prices in the CBD of the city.

The project may be part of a larger mixed-use project or a stand-alone workforce housing project. The Project may also include the purchase of blocks of existing market rate condominium or rental units for conversion to workforce housing units."

http://www.mainstreettirz.com/images/RFI_-...ble_Housing.pdf

The Main Street TIRZ is lobbying for a developer to create a new project. The details and application are here for those interested:

Proposal Submittal Deadline: 3:00 p.m., July 29, 2009

"The Downtown Redevelopment Authority seeks information and expressions of interest from developers with the capacity and desire to plan for and undertake the land acquisition, development, and financing of one or more affordable workforce housing developments. Over the remaining 15-year life of the DRA, the DRA plans to commit up to $20 million in funds toward the Proejct, subject to annual budgeting availability and authority. The DRA seeks a developer that will most efficiently leverage the DRA funding contribution with other private and public funds to create the most possible units of workforce housing at the most affordable prices in the CBD of the city.

The project may be part of a larger mixed-use project or a stand-alone workforce housing project. The Project may also include the purchase of blocks of existing market rate condominium or rental units for conversion to workforce housing units."

http://www.mainstreettirz.com/images/RFI_-...ble_Housing.pdf

awesome.

Could help meet some of the need of the YMCA men's housing closing.

Pardon if I'm wrong but what is so special about YMCA housing? Does it cater towards... homeless? Mentally ill? I believe the YMCA serves a good purpose but I'm unsure what it is...

Also, at the very least whoever printed that blurb but at least they could go over and proof their work...

"Proejct" ?

UGH.

One big problem for development of downtown retail and food is a shortage of low-wage workers, so this could potentially be great. Maybe restaurants and bars will stop going under constantly. Live Sports Cafe, El Centro, there's been a bunch.