Holiday/Days/Heaven On Earth Inn At 801 St. Joseph Pkwy.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

2 hours ago, Subdude said:

It seems a bit disproportionate citing it for graffiti when the entire structure is such an eyesore.  Nothing ever came of the Sheraton rumor?

Nor the Rice Dorms rumor, nor the countless other rumors over the years.  It's at the point where the wrecking ball and a resulting surface parking lot would be preferable to me.

• Like 1

I think the city should move forward with some kind of fines, and retribution to the owners of this property  for allowing it to fall into such a pitiful condition.

If nothing else they should be required to clean out all of the old drapes, graffiti, and anything that is visible to the eye. It wouldn't be nearly as bad if they would just clean up the crap blowing in the wind. I know I'll hear from some building owners who don't think that government should have any control over private property but when it is so glaringly dangerous and unsightly, there should be something that can force these long distance landlords from having a pigsty in downtown. The city should use the ordinance that allows them to tear down abandoned apartments to do the same and then sue the landlords for demo cost.

12 hours ago, bobruss said:

I think the city should move forward with some kind of fines, and retribution to the owners of this property  for allowing it to fall into such a pitiful condition.

If nothing else they should be required to clean out all of the old drapes, graffiti, and anything that is visible to the eye. It wouldn't be nearly as bad if they would just clean up the crap blowing in the wind. I know I'll hear from some building owners who don't think that government should have any control over private property but when it is so glaringly dangerous and unsightly, there should be something that can force these long distance landlords from having a pigsty in downtown. The city should use the ordinance that allows them to tear down abandoned apartments to do the same and then sue the landlords for demo cost.

The owners of that building are here in Houston...

I actually knew that Ross, but they act like out of town landlords that don't give a damn about how their own city looks. Who owns this building and why have they been given so much time to do nothing. The city needs to step in and take action. I'm going to get to the bottom of this and make something happen. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. I'll call city hall.

Ok here is what I have found out so far. Its hard to get the squeaky wheel greased. I called city councilmen Gallegoes office whose district this falls in.

They said that there is relatively nothing the city can do to force them to clean up the property as long as it is in compliance with the law.

Since the building is boarded up it is in compliance even though there are broken windows and it is in disrepair.

They told me I could find out the name of the owners by going to HCAD.

The property is owned by SFK Development.

I googled SFK Development and found the names of the partners.

The three partners are Hasan Manzoor, Mohammad Saeed, and Nadeem Nasir.

I looked up the companies information and found numbers for two, and I called Nadeem first.

Apparently Nadeem Nasir is local physician and I was able to attain his phone number. I left a message for him and we'll see if he returns my call.

Hasan Manor phone number in Dickinson was now a business that knew of no one by that name. Apparently he has moved to Austin and there is no listed phone number for him.

I found out that Mohammad Saeed was listed as the property manager for the Beaumont Medical Center Hotel, one of their over fifty properties,

which is listed on google but apparently has closed. I couldn't find any other records on him.

Im just speculating but I think they are all doctors who decided they could make more selling and developing cheap properties, than practicing medicine.

Doesn't look like its going so well.

Anyway I will continue to reach out to Dr. Nadeem Nasir who runs a local practice and see if we cant get to the bottom of this mess.

I'll see if my friends at channel two might run a story about this blighted building and the upcoming super bowl.

I'll keep you informed.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bobruss said:

Ok here is what I have found out so far. Its hard to get the squeaky wheel greased. I called city councilmen Gallegoes office whose district this falls in.

They said that there is relatively nothing the city can do to force them to clean up the property as long as it is in compliance with the law.

Since the building is boarded up it is in compliance even though there are broken windows and it is in disrepair.

They told me I could find out the name of the owners by going to HCAD.

The property is owned by SFK Development.

I googled SFK Development and found the names of the partners.

The three partners are Hasan Manzoor, Mohammad Saeed, and Nadeem Nasir.

I looked up the companies information and found numbers for two, and I called Nadeem first.

Apparently Nadeem Nasir is local physician and I was able to attain his phone number. I left a message for him and we'll see if he returns my call.

Hasan Manor phone number in Dickinson was now a business that knew of no one by that name. Apparently he has moved to Austin and there is no listed phone number for him.

I found out that Mohammad Saeed was listed as the property manager for the Beaumont Medical Center Hotel, one of their over fifty properties,

which is listed on google but apparently has closed. I couldn't find any other records on him.

Im just speculating but I think they are all doctors who decided they could make more selling and developing cheap properties, than practicing medicine.

Doesn't look like its going so well.

Anyway I will continue to reach out to Dr. Nadeem Nasir who runs a local practice and see if we cant get to the bottom of this mess.

I'll see if my friends at channel two might run a story about this blighted building and the upcoming super bowl.

I'll keep you informed.

".......Marvin Zindler Eyeeeewitness News"

I just sent the story idea to KPRC and KHOU and culture map. I gave them an overview and explained how it could tie in with all of the positive things happening downtown and SFK's lack of concern for the downtown. Its too bad downtown doesn't have deed restrictions that they could enforce to keep bad actors from neglecting their property. They remind me of slum lords. If you have the time call 311 and ask for the habitability department and make a complaint. Perhaps the more of these the better.

Oh and by the way would someone please change the heading of this to 801 St. Josephs Parkway. It took me forever to explain where this was to the councilman assistant with the wrong address. Obviously I wasn't paying much attention when I tried to tell her it was in southern downtown just off main and she said, oh no its not. Calhoun runs next to U. of H. Duh!

2 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

I don't understand the "Calhoun" references or issue with the name.  Please explain?

John C. Calhoun, a VP of the United States, a South Carolina Senator, and the Secretary of State who supported Texas' admission to the US, was an ardent pro-slavery figure, which makes him controversial.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bobruss said:

So back in the day I guess it used to be called Calhoun street and that does ring a distant bell.

It's still known as Calhoun by UH and where it currently ends past Yellowstone. Before I-45 was built, it ran all the way downtown. Interesting thing is old maps show the section near UH as being called Leeland. But, back to the Calhoun name. After the freeway was built, part of it became the NB feeder and it became wholly disconnected from downtown once Spur 5 was built. Around that same time period, the downtown section's name was changed to St. Joseph Parkway despite not being an access controlled, multilane facility running through a park-like setting. Roadgeeks will get that one. :lol:

Edited by JLWM8609
  • Like 5

Interesting. 

I thought that St. Joseph Pkwy was previously Calhoun Avenue, and the Calhoun by UH is Calhoun Road.

Kind of like Eldridge Road and Eldridge Pkwy, never was the same street.

In fact, this thread on here, it was Calhoun Avenue. scroll the very bottom of the first page.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Geez. I didn't realize it was so covered with graffiti and becoming a real eyesore. Didn't seem that long ago when it was just a concrete building that was an eyesore but still reminded one of its grand past.

And in better days, courtesy of Arch-ive.org:

days1.jpg

• Like 2

I have their names and one is a cardio vascular doctor with Methodist. The other two are probably involved. They had a hotel in Beaumont in their med center but it closed.

They own over 30 projects between the three. See my earlier post for more info. I have contacted KHOU, Channel 2, and Culture Maps.

Nothing yet but with more input from more Haifers and we might be able to get the ball rolling.

• Like 2

On 2/5/2017 at 8:04 PM, bobruss said:

I have their names and one is a cardio vascular doctor with Methodist. The other two are probably involved. They had a hotel in Beaumont in their med center but it closed.

They own over 30 projects between the three. See my earlier post for more info. I have contacted KHOU, Channel 2, and Culture Maps.

Nothing yet but with more input from more Haifers and we might be able to get the ball rolling.

I know one of the guys that is a part of the ownership group. They definitely would like to get this project off the ground, but financing is almost non-existent. It's hard to get a hotel development loan in Houston, TX right now. The cost of tearing this thing down is prohibitive as well. I think you should expect to see this eyesore for the next few years.

• Like 1