Multifamily Development At 3300 Montrose Blvd.

dbigtex56

On 9/12/2021 at 7:32 PM, Loca local said:

Hola, everyone, I’m new to comment here and one of the weirdos behind Localist. I’m a fairly avid reader of HAIF over the years and it actually helped inspire the project. Indeed, Localist is basically an art project between friends in Houston and NYC. We are spending any extra cash we make each month to keep the website going and make posters in an attempt to engage our communities in a discussion about place making. 

I’m an urban planner by education, and my friends are retailers and writers in NYC. We’re all pretty tired of our favorite places being torn down or closing, so it hit us that we could make a forum to discuss. 

I’ve read some of the comments here and am actually fairly flattered that some of y’all think we’re some sort of savvy marketing firm! Although, we do hope to actually host honest conversations. 

Anyway, would love any feedback y’all are willing to share. Are our visuals too slick? Are we just too audacious? 

Thanks so much! - E

Welcome to the forum. Where were you when Meteor closed their doors? Feel like that was a place to save more so than a suburban style grocery store on a major urban thoroughfare.  

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to 3300 Montrose (formerly Kroger): 8-Story Multifamily by Lovett Commercial
1 hour ago, Paco Jones said:

I don't have much info at the moment, but I do know this is moving along quickly.

Project:

Houston Montrose (preliminary name)

Address:

3300 Montrose

Developer/Owner:

Lovett

Architect:

D|C|S Design

Info:

8-story residential building (334 units) with ground floor retail facing Montrose Blvd.

spacer.png

Would have expected much taller than 8 stories for this location.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Paco Jones said:

I don't have much info at the moment, but I do know this is moving along quickly.

Project:

Houston Montrose (preliminary name)

Address:

3300 Montrose

Developer/Owner:

Lovett

Architect:

D|C|S Design

Info:

8-story residential building (334 units) with ground floor retail facing Montrose Blvd.

spacer.png

I thought Southeastern out of Georgia was the group that owns the entity “SEK Yoakum Lovett, LLC.”

https://www.southeastern.company/portfolio/

• Like 1

• The title was changed to 3300 Montrose (formerly Kroger): 8-Story Multifamily by Southeastern
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2022 at 6:08 AM, arche_757 said:

I know this is quite preliminary (still), but hope the sidewalks aren’t the “Houston standard” as depicted in the above plan.

To be clear, the "Houston standard" along Montrose Boulevard in this location would be 6 feet wide, which is what the plan appears to provide.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 3

On 5/4/2022 at 5:08 AM, arche_757 said:

I know this is quite preliminary (still), but hope the sidewalks aren’t the “Houston standard” as depicted in the above plan.

That was probably the plan they drafted to do below:

On 8/14/2021 at 1:57 PM, hindesky said:

The city is repaving and replacing the sidewalks on Yoakum St, they are also replacing the sidewalks on Montrose from the old Kroger to Westheimer.

g8phNvg.jpg

K6PJdbG.jpg

XV2aOUs.jpg

• Like 4

• The title was changed to 8-Story Multifamily Development At 3300 Montrose Blvd.

I puller over to talk with the woman that has been protesting the demolishing the old Kroger's for a long time. I told her what is proposed here. She told me that as long as the man upstairs has a say in it this won't get developed.

ktX8JAu.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, thatguysly said:

As far as landmarks go, a lot of people knew about Disco Kroger for better or worse. I do wish the new development here kept a grocery on the street level. I loved being able to walk here and get groceries for years.

There's still the next block over, which would be an even better location for a grocery store, in my opinion (especially if it either buried the parking like the Midtown Whole Foods, or else "hid" it behind..).

But I definitely agree that that part of Montrose needs a grocery store. It's just a little too far from each of the three closest ones. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to 6-Story Multifamily Development At 3300 Montrose Blvd.
53 minutes ago, hindesky said:

I have a friend who lives in the suburbs who called Kirby Dr. at Westheimer downtown when I asked which restaurant they went to over a weekend. Another one who recently started at Methodist in TMC, took some pics and sent them to me, I asked where, he said downtown. Most people that live outside the loop consider everything in it downtown and don't know anything regarding neighborhoods.

When I worked in Laporte/Deer Park years ago I had a coworker tell me "🤠 hell all that stuff over there is downtown" meaning everything inside the loop 🤦🏽‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1