Kinder High School For The Performing And Visual Arts At 790 Austin St.

Subdude

5 minutes ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Any idea if this will open for the fall semester?  I think that it was scheduled to open in January.  Will it open early?  Or do we think that there is still much to do that would disrupt classes?

Never mind...... their website clearly says “January”........   

I believe Utterly Urban is correct. If the building is not ready for classes to begin for the fall term it is probably less disruptive to wait until after the holiday break in December. Even if the structure is complete I'm sure a building with this program has much equipment that needs to be installed and commissioned (tested to make sure it works as it should).

1 hour ago, cspwal said:

So are they moving classes to the new building in January? Or is that when construction will be complete and they'll start the next school year there after the school is setup?

As has been the case for several years, that plan to open the new high school facility (meaning move the high school in and have classes) in January 2019.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Paper city has a story about the opening of HSPVA in January with 25 images of the new spaces.

Heres the link. The main lobby is similar to the new Glassel lobby, only not nearly as dramatic.

https://www.papercitymag.com/culture/hspva-new-downtown-campus-88-million-high-school-performing-visual-arts/?city=Houston

• 1 month later...

Is  everything still  on track for the school to open for classes at the start of the new semester (Jan 7?)?.  It will be absolutely great to have a new bunch of young creatives downtown.  They will add vibrancy just by being here.  And, I am hoping that some of them do some busking.... it will be one more cog in making downtown feel like a neighborhood, 50 years after it stopped feeling that way.

Edited by UtterlyUrban

3 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Is  everything still  on track for the school to open for classes at the start of the new semester (Jan 7?)?.  It will be absolutely great to have a new bunch of young creatives downtown.  They will add vibrancy just by being here.  And, I am hoping that some of them do some busking.... it will be one more cog in making downtown feel like a neighborhood, 50 years after it stopped feeling that way.

Very true. I'm excited to see what happens as well. On the flip side though, it will be interesting how my part of Montrose will do once the school leaves. What on earth will replace it? It will be a pretty substantial void to fill in the area. I'm glad its moving as its not only necessary, but i feel like it's where the school should be to grow. However, what happens now for that lot in Montrose? Does HISD keep the land and place a new magnet school? Does it go to another entity to create a new art school of some kind? I think it would be cool if the old school becomes so sort of maker space / workshop for the neighborhood to keep it a creative center, or something for industrial arts.

3 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Still set to open by then

https://thebuzzmagazines.com/articles/2018/12/first-look-new-hspva-campus

On 12/13/2018 at 9:49 AM, Luminare said:

Very true. I'm excited to see what happens as well. On the flip side though, it will be interesting how my part of Montrose will do once the school leaves. What on earth will replace it? It will be a pretty substantial void to fill in the area. I'm glad its moving as its not only necessary, but i feel like it's where the school should be to grow. However, what happens now for that lot in Montrose? Does HISD keep the land and place a new magnet school? Does it go to another entity to create a new art school of some kind? I think it would be cool if the old school becomes so sort of maker space / workshop for the neighborhood to keep it a creative center, or something for industrial arts.

I can't see HISD holding on to the land. It's become too valuable. I think they will sell it, just like they did when they sold the land and facilities of the old High School for Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice to St. Thomas High School for $60MM. Of course, that situation was a little different because acquiring that land was critical if STHS wanted to further expand its footprint, so their bid was considerably higher than any of those submitted by the competing bidders. But the land HSPVA sits on should unquestionably fetch a premium, as properties of comparable size just don't become available very often in the heart of Montrose. 

Edited by mkultra25

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, hindesky said:

They are fencing off the drive thru area as a construction manager once told me. I've seen homeless people camping out there several times.

4EyeIdw.jpg

Very likely “homeless people” were not camping there.  The “addicts and the mentally ill” were.

Anyhow, school starts tomorrow. I think.  Fantastic news for downtown!

• Like 2