Kinder High School For The Performing And Visual Arts At 790 Austin St.

Subdude

1 hour ago, kbates2 said:

They had to install permanent groundwater pumps for Toyota Center as well.

Makes sense.

but, those "basements" are likely 2 or 3 or 4 times the depth at a residential basement would be.  when I moved to Houston many years ago I was told that Houston didn't have basements in homes because it was "impossible" given the water table and the soil.  It is clearly possible.  It may cost a lot to engineer and build -- so that it stays solid and dry, but, it is possible, it seems.  Can you imagine all the wine cellars, man caves, woodworking workshops, etc that have been lost? Sheesh. :)

• Like 2

Given enough money, just about anything is possible.  That doesn't mean it's practical or cost effective.

I once lived on the slope down to a bayou with a garage under the house that was dug into the slope - a sort of walk out basement, if you will.  It was always damp, the walls were cracked and moved back and forth noticeably with the soil's expansion and contraction, and it leaked like a sieve during heavy rains.  I ended up keeping my tools in the house to keep them from getting rusty.  

The multi story bathtubs below our downtown buildings are there for engineering reasons, a subject upon which one of our P.E. colleagues is likely better equipped to discuss.

Edited by mollusk

6 hours ago, bobruss said:

I know when they started digging for Enron Field, now Minute Maid, they ran into an underground aquifer and had to get large pumps to pump it out.

Apparently there are several areas on the east side that have underground streams. At least that is what I was told by some people who were working on the project.

Soooooooooo was the aquifer the reason that the tunnel system doesn't go in that direction---not to Discovery Green, Not to GRB, and not to Minute Maid?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

y and Rich Kinder are putting their financial clout behind another unique Houston institution. Houston Independent School District officials announced on Monday that the Houston couple is donating $7.5 million through their foundation toward construction of the new High School for the Performing and Visual Arts in downtown Houston.

The new building, at the corner of Rusk and Austin streets, will be named the Kinder High School for the Performing and Visual Arts. Construction began in February of this year and is expected to be completed in the third quarter of 2018.

The gift is pending approval by the HISD Board of Trustees, who will vote on the matter on Thursday (October 13).

The $90.2 million project, designed by Gensler, will include a five-story, 168,000-square-foot building with an 800-seat main theater, 200-seat mini-theater, 200-seat black box theater, and 150-seat recital hall. The complex will also include academic classrooms and learning center, studios for creative writing, dance, music, visual arts, and recording, a costume and scene shop, indoor and outdoor dining areas, and two levels of underground parking. The campus is designed for 750 students, all of whom audition for placement.

Officials call the collaboration between a private donor and non-profit organization for the benefit of a HISD public school "an unprecedented partnership." The project received funding of $80.2 million from HISD in a 2012 election approved by voters. HSPVA Friends, a non-profit group that supports the school, has launched a $10 million capital campaign to complete the project. The HSPVA Friends Board of Directors has pledged $670,000 and plans to raise an additional $1.83 million, which when added to the Kinder's $7.5 million lead gift, will reach the goal.

The funds will also provide for ongoing maintenance of equipment, furnishings and programming.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/city-life/10-10-16-houstons-richest-couple-donates-75-million-for-new-hspva-building/#slide=0

HSPVA is now KSPVA?????

• Like 7

On 10/11/2016 at 8:58 AM, UtterlyUrban said:

There are some who will say that the Rich don't "give back." Over and over and over again, to me, that is proven false.  Much of the green space, arts, and museums we have exist because of the wealthy "giving back."  All I can say is "thank you."

That's because unfortunately people want to see the rich literally handing out money to them. It's sad but the true reality. I really hope HISD approves it, I mean why wouldn't they.

• Like 4

The board voted to allow the school to accept the donation and the name change to Kinder High School for the Performing Arts. 

This is great news and I imagine some of this money helped with the shortfall that occurred after they realized they had to add an

underground garage. This is a real win for the upgrade of the facilities at KHSPVA.

I applaud the boards approval. 

Now maybe other philanthropic minded citizens will do the same for some of the other schools that need help just to improve classrooms needs.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...