Kinder High School For The Performing And Visual Arts At 790 Austin St.

Subdude

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So glad this is coming to fruition. A school like this in downtown is such a plus for the city imo. All these kids once they graduate will have spent up to four years in a downtown urban environment and I'm sure a lot of them will seek to stay there after graduation, or come back to downtown once they start making some money.  

• Like 5

6 hours ago, jmitch94 said:

So glad this is coming to fruition. A school like this in downtown is such a plus for the city imo. All these kids once they graduate will have spent up to four years in a downtown urban environment and I'm sure a lot of them will seek to stay there after graduation, or come back to downtown once they start making some money.  

That's an interesting perspective that I had not considered.  Sounds quite plausible,  thanks for writing that.

• Like 3

On 2/7/2017 at 11:41 PM, jmitch94 said:

Great point! This is so key in making the city more cohesive. 

• Like 1

About the only times you see young (high school age) people downtown during a weekday are with the occasional youth oriented convention. A selective admission arts school is an interesting first step to break up the age demographics downtown.  I wonder if another private high school (apart from Incarnate Word) might work.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I walked by this the other day.  I Am thrilled dthat it is being built.

I hope that very soon downtown is crowded with the type of vibrancy that only art-focused, 16-18 year old students can bring.  As a group, they will most assuredly make their presence known. 

Edited by UtterlyUrban
  • Like 5

Austin St. Construction
Friday, May 5 (7 pm) – Monday, May 8 (5 am)
Complete continuous closure of the 700 block of Austin (between Rusk and Capitol) for crane installation.
Detour: Motorist will turn right onto Rusk, left on Crawford, and left on Capitol.

This according to Downtown Streets, I doubt they are putting up another crane more likely taking one down but it doesn't seem like they are far enough along to do this IMHO.

• Like 1