Downtown Night Life Market

houstonsemipro

make up your mind. So you are saying that downtown isn't struggling now. I take it based upon your post that downtown is rocking. Are you from a village ? Where is the city heading to Austin or on a trail ride ? I thought everyone was heading to Midtown... You haven't seen anything yet downtown.

In typing sometimes I rush, sorry and things get lost in translation. What I mean is there has been so much negative media jabs and TV programs that say DT is loosing people and $ so they are pulling out. It is a fact that the city is expanding west towards Katy that's nothing new of course. I know Midtown is alive and I am glad but towards DT well, as Donald T might say not so Rosey?!

• 1 month later...

the city govt doesn't want the clubs there cause the residents are complaining about the noise. the city has been enforcing the noise ordinance overzealously, even to those places that don't make noise.

and for a place that is a ghost town on weekends, the city enacting a charge for parking on saturdays is ridiculous. i was going to park downtown for the parade today but as i was headed there i remembered that i would have to pay for parking. forget it!

Edited by musicman

the city govt doesn't want the clubs there cause the residents are complaining about the noise. the city has been enforcing the noise ordinance overzealously, even to those places that don't make noise.

and for a place that is a ghost town on weekends, the city enacting a charge for parking on saturdays is ridiculous. i was going to park downtown for the parade today but as i was headed there i remembered that i would have to pay for parking. forget it!

That was a dumb move. One of the great incentives to go downtown at night and on weekends was the free parking. It's hard enough to convince people it's worth going to. Why put another obstacle in their way?

Everything that I have heard from two current buisnes owners on main street, (1 has a bar, the other has a resteraunt) DT is in the middle of a transition phase. Five years ago DT main street was full of clubs and had a great street night life from Wed. to Sat. night. The city, now is doing everything it can to make DT main street from a club scene into a livable, quality neighborhood. The city has stop issuing and renewing liscenses to clubs which may be the reason DT night life is disappearing. In another decade DT main street is going to be an awesome neighborhood to live in. The empty spaces on Main will be retail, restraunts, etc... I like what they are doing... Also saying DT is a ghost town is a little harsh, Their is the theater district always full of people, bayou place, ball games, restraunts including on Main Street that are all full at night.

i went to warren's yesterday evening, and it was pretty calm. by the time i left though, the streets were quite busy (most of the women though, imo, looked like they were on their way to work at a strip club - or the street, perhaps) :blink:icon8.gif

Edited by sevfiv

That was a dumb move. One of the great incentives to go downtown at night and on weekends was the free parking. It's hard enough to convince people it's worth going to. Why put another obstacle in their way?

Obstacles! That's it!

• 6 months later...

Does anybody know what was going on downtown today? There were more people around than I am used to seeing downtown on a weekend. Was there any sporting event or big convention going on? The Metro Rail was pretty full and there were a lot of people around the Main Street Square area and around Bayou Place. I might post some photos later.

Both of those may be true. I drove past the convention center and also down Travis. Even Travis had some pretty heavy activity. Most of those people didn't look like they were there for the game. At least, they weren't in game gear. Plus, I was drivin around at 11 am.

I had lunch today at the Park Shops and there were tons of younger kids with t-shrits on from different schools so somehthing had to be going on at GRB. The UT basketball team was eating there too and I saw a couple of them buying stuff at the Radio Shack in there. (every little bit helps to boost downtown merchants!) And I also saw the Macy's bags all over the place so it looks like they had a good weekend too.

Downtown on Saturday is almost always like this when there is something public at the GRB.

Below is a link of what is or will be happening at the GRB.

http://www.houstonconventionctr.com/meetin...s/calendar.html

I'm just surprised at the crowd so many blocks away from the convention center. But I guess they're not expected to stay in one place.

• 2 months later...

Lots of people Downtown today. Too bad this only happens when there is a parade or festival, but I love seeing downtown be so busy like this. Actually, the last few Saturdays downtown have been relatively busy, but today was bar far the busiest.

2303105695_05c9bb5789_b.jpg

2303937786_b3b46aa8e5_b.jpg

Edited by Jax

• 1 month later...

I didn't even realize the international festival was happening last weekend. That proves how out of it I am. Anyways, sounds like downtown is busy, which is great!

http://www.click2houston.com/news/15937517/detail.html

HOUSTON -- Downtown businesses got a boom in earnings after one of the biggest Saturdays in a while, KPRC Local 2 reported.

There were four big downtown draws -- Game 1 of the Western Conference Quarterfinals, an Astros game, the International Festival and the first full weekend for Discovery Green.

Downtown Houston was rocking with thousands of people of all ages.

"We're from Germany, and this is more like Europe for us, so this is great," said Markus Klaus, who said he discovered Discovery Green with his 2-year old daughter Lillian last weekend and returned for more.

Marcus and Merieux Jones went to the International Fest first and then Discovery Green.

"Now that Houston is bringing more and more businesses downtown, there's good reason for us to come down," said. Jones whose 1-year-old daughter, Marshelled, crashed out on her daddy's shoulder.

The Jones said they felt very safe with a strong police presence at all the events, which is critical for any public park or venue to thrive.

The only complaint came from public park-goers, who said they felt the sting of play-off fever at the Toyota Center.

"It was expensive to park I guess because of the game. We just came down to enjoy Discovery Green," said Shimeika Foreman who brought her two little sisters and her boyfriend and spent hours strolling and playing in the water at downtown Houston's newest playground.

I didn't even realize the international festival was happening last weekend. That proves how out of it I am. Anyways, sounds like downtown is busy, which is great!

Yep, the Chronicle never seems to report on these things much until after they've already gotten pretty pictures of colorful people.