Downtown Night Life Market

houstonsemipro

That wasn't the Chron.

What's up with that weird signature?

I spotted the Chronicle publicity this morning and thought the same thing you did, that I wasn't even aware of the goings-on. My point remains, albeit perhaps relevent to other media outlets as well.

What's weird about my sig?

Edited by TheNiche

The International Festival continues through next weekend. I went to the opening ceremony last Friday at lunch and got food from one of the vendor booths. There's supposed to be a free lunch time concert this Friday, but I have no idea who the entertainment will be.

I drove by the area where the festival was on Friday and saw a construction project which I was unaware of. All I know is that there is already a third story to whatever it is and its not that far from city hall. The construction or real estate or whatever company it was had their logo all over the place.. it was a company called Holder with a blue H.

Edited by Triton

• 2 years later...

I know people have been saying this area has been slowly dying for years since 2004/2005.It seems like this area has fallen off extremely. It used to be filled with people. I'm not talking about the 2004/2005 era, even after that, the street still managed to stay crowded with people on Fridays and Saturday nights. I went down there this past Friday and the scene was depressing. There were a few people down there but not like the crowds there once were. Even last year or earlier this year, there was still a crowded scene off Main Street.

I thought with the addition of Houston Pavilions and other surrounding developments, the area would have gotten better, not worse. House of Blues didn't have much action going on. There was hardly no one there, and it appeared that quite a few of the clubs had closed. Maybe there's my answer, but does anyone know for sure? I don't think this area lost all of its energy when most caucasions decided to start hanging out in Midtown. even afterwards, it still managed to stay pretty LIVE with Hip-Hoppers. Club Glo at night used to be bumping. The area where the M Bar used to be also still had crowds around that area.

Is this area becoming a thing of the past for nightlife? I'm not sure if Washington Ave is sucking the night scene from downtown, but I think it would be cool if both areas had something going on at night. Me and my fiance couldn't believe how dead this area has become at night. Is there still hope for it? Opinions please?

I was at Dean's Credit Clothing off Main Street on Saturday night and it was packed. It started off with a fashion show then followed by a badass live band. When i went out into the street around 1:15am, it seemed fairly crowded.

Personally, I like the walkability and feel of downtown better than any other area of Houston.

I know people have been saying this area has been slowly dying for years since 2004/2005.It seems like this area has fallen off extremely. It used to be filled with people. I'm not talking about the 2004/2005 era, even after that, the street still managed to stay crowded with people on Fridays and Saturday nights. I went down there this past Friday and the scene was depressing. There were a few people down there but not like the crowds there once were. Even last year or earlier this year, there was still a crowded scene off Main Street.

I thought with the addition of Houston Pavilions and other surrounding developments, the area would have gotten better, not worse. House of Blues didn't have much action going on. There was hardly no one there, and it appeared that quite a few of the clubs had closed. Maybe there's my answer, but does anyone know for sure? I don't think this area lost all of its energy when most caucasions decided to start hanging out in Midtown. even afterwards, it still managed to stay pretty LIVE with Hip-Hoppers. Club Glo at night used to be bumping. The area where the M Bar used to be also still had crowds around that area.

Is this area becoming a thing of the past for nightlife? I'm not sure if Washington Ave is sucking the night scene from downtown, but I think it would be cool if both areas had something going on at night. Me and my fiance couldn't believe how dead this area has become at night. Is there still hope for it? Opinions please?

Edited by DrLan34

Actually, downtown still stays pretty busy at night. Perhaps not like 2004ish, but still quite busy. House of Blues and nearby restaurants are very busy on the night of a good show. Flying Saucer has a significant crowd, even on typically slow nights like Wednesday. The club at the corner of Main and Rusk keeps going out of business and changing names (One, then Vault, now opening soon Reserve), but Venue next door seems to be doing well. Glo went out of business and I have no idea why, because right up until it closed there was constantly a line out the door. Either their rent got raised too much or they had a bad business plan or both.

PS this Caucasian lives downtown.

I agree with everyone else that it must have been an off night. My band plays at Dean's often and there always seems to be a decent crowd on Fridays/Saturdays (we play this Thursday... so I'll see how it is on a Thursday night). I hang out a lot downtown (Flying Saucer, Hearsay, The Pavilions, area around Franks and Union Bar, etc.) and a lot in Midtown and always see a lot of people. I don't understand why people like to say Downtown/Midtown are "dead". My guess is some of them either have a vested interest in promoting Washington Avenue... or they just don't get out enough.

• Like 1

I agree with everyone else that it must have been an off night. My band plays at Dean's often and there always seems to be a decent crowd on Fridays/Saturdays (we play this Thursday... so I'll see how it is on a Thursday night). I hang out a lot downtown (Flying Saucer, Hearsay, The Pavilions, area around Franks and Union Bar, etc.) and a lot in Midtown and always see a lot of people. I don't understand why people like to say Downtown/Midtown are "dead". My guess is some of them either have a vested interest in promoting Washington Avenue... or they just don't get out enough.

yeah, midtown is even less dead than downtown.

try finding parking on a friday/saturday night around smith/hadley.

on a side note, if you go to say, Element over on San Jacinto, it's dead, I ride by that place late at night quite often and the parking lot is empty, no line at the door, nothing. how that place has stayed in business for almost a year now I have no idea, they must have some good lunch specials or something.

Edited by samagon

on a side note, if you go to say, Element over on San Jacinto, it's dead, I ride by that place late at night quite often and the parking lot is empty, no line at the door, nothing. how that place has stayed in business for almost a year now I have no idea, they must have some good lunch specials or something.

Perhaps the club is a money laundering front for drug distribution, like The Hub on Main Street was. :P

http://209.157.64.201/focus/f-news/755897/posts

My guess is some of them either have a vested interest in promoting Washington Avenue... or they just don't get out enough.

I probably don't get out enough. Maybe it has something to do with me turning 30 this year. LOL

December for me... definitely don't go out as much in Houston any more. I have been to the Saucer for happy hour type stuff, and HOB for shows and each time there seemed to be plenty of people at bars/restaurants around those areas. but not sure about the late night Main street crowd. I'm not a big fan of Washington, I'll stick to chill bars in midtown.

I've never been a big fan of downtown (at least not since the 60's) but I would venture to say there is just to much competition from other entities that are attracting the same crowd that used to venture downtown. There has been so many new restaurants and clubs added in recent years in uptown, the Heights and along Washington Blvd. Those and places like the CityCentre have become the new hot places to go without the hassle of driving and parking downtown.  

I've never been a big fan of downtown (at least not since the 60's) but I would venture to say there is just to much competition from other entities that are attracting the same crowd that used to venture downtown. There has been so many new restaurants and clubs added in recent years in uptown, the Heights and along Washington Blvd. Those and places like the CityCentre have become the new hot places to go without the hassle of driving and parking downtown.

I can tell you that parking is just as much of an issue on Washington, or in the heights. uptown may be different, and citycentre certainly is, but those places aren't very walkable.

At the height of the downtown nightlife along main street, I could walk from club to club, and eventually stumble from club to club in a matter of minutes. A lot of the clubs aren't as close together as they used to be. I mean, I could start the night off at deans, walk to M bar, walk to 412, walk to whatever that place was above slante, and then finish the night at saucer, all without walking more than 2 blocks. It helped that I was friends with a lot of the doormen for free cover :)

Anyway, heights, the bars are pretty far spread, as they are on Washington (and parking for places on Washington sucks pretty bad). That leaves uptown and citycentre, uptown faces the same problem of proximity, citycentre certainly has easy parking, but I don't think it offers a lot in the way of going from place to place.

obviously bar hopping isn't what everyone wants to do, sometimes you just want to plop down at one place, but hopping from place to place was certainly the attraction of downtown. walking main was almost as fun as being in a club.

• Like 1

Yeah. I'm not much of a hopper. I prefer just to settle in at one place.  Maybe that's why I'm not a downtown type of person.  And I agree parking for some places on Washington is pretty bad if you don't arrive early.  I think a lot of people in the Heights enjoy being able to walk to a bar and not have to worry about drinking then driving. I know I would. 

Yeah. I'm not much of a hopper. I prefer just to settle in at one place. Maybe that's why I'm not a downtown type of person. And I agree parking for some places on Washington is pretty bad if you don't arrive early. I think a lot of people in the Heights enjoy being able to walk to a bar and not have to worry about drinking then driving. I know I would.

Well, I think a lot of the people who are able to enjoy that in the Heights live there ;)

I know I enjoy riding my bicycle from the east end to woodrows, lucky's or the saucer in an effort to enjoy more than enough beer, and then wishing I had training wheels on the way home again.

Yes, evening parking is easy downtown. You can almost always park on the street within 2 blocks of your destination, except, say, a popular concert.

or baseball, or basketball, or soon to be soccer, or for a special event at a park (international festival, art car parade, etc).

Edited by samagon