Downtown Night Life Market

houstonsemipro

And everyday they have a $3 fire sale where one beer is that price on tap.

If you go to clubs, prices are steep - but same with Washington. My only problem with downtown was there weren't enough chill bars, but that may have changed.

The reason I go to Downtown is because of chill bars. How about Union Bar, Deans, La Carafe, Warren's, The Brewery Tap, Flying Saucer, Molly's, Shay McElroy's... etc?

The reason I go to Downtown is because of chill bars. How about Union Bar, Deans, La Carafe, Warren's, The Brewery Tap, Flying Saucer, Molly's, Shay McElroy's... etc?

I'll have to check some of those out. I've been to La Carafe and Saucer plenty, but when i used to go it was mostly for the clubs (though we did go to Warren's to predrink - we should add that cheap bars downtown) so i just have that perception as the reason to go there. I'll have to explore again, but I live within walking distance of plenty of bars...

just mho, but saucer's too loud to be a place to chill.

it's been years since I've visited the tap. I may have to make a stop there soon.

I know it was in midtown, but Leon's Lounge wasn't bad the one time I went in there, and also, even farther out, on montrose and banks there's a place called Ernie's that's pretty relaxed too, or at least it was 5 or 6 years ago when I last went. I also have as of yet to try Cork Soakers (though still not inside downtown).

I'll have to check some of those out. I've been to La Carafe and Saucer plenty, but when i used to go it was mostly for the clubs (though we did go to Warren's to predrink - we should add that cheap bars downtown) so i just have that perception as the reason to go there. I'll have to explore again, but I live within walking distance of plenty of bars...

Union Bar is really chill and quiet (the Houston Symphony hangs out there sometimes) but dress in business casual for the place. Drinks are decently priced, but you HAVE to go at night and hang out on their awesome deck that overlooks the street below for good people watching. Brewery Tap is casual and quiet... and sometimes ghost hunters come in the bar with rods and blinking lights trying to find ghosts (which is always entertaining to watch). If you like cocktails you should check out Hearsay (good food for dinner as well).

I live in Midtown and hang out there a lot... but Downtown is always a fun place too.

Did not know that. It's been a couple of years since I visited Ernies on Banks.  I like the Flying Saucer but it does get loud and crowded. I'm more of a Ginger Man kind of guy. I much prefer the Rice Village area to downtown anyhow. Plenty of bar hopping available within just a few blocks and several nice restaurants.  

Did not know that. It's been a couple of years since I visited Ernies on Banks. I like the Flying Saucer but it does get loud and crowded. I'm more of a Ginger Man kind of guy. I much prefer the Rice Village area to downtown anyhow. Plenty of bar hopping available within just a few blocks and several nice restaurants.

I've stayed away from Gingerman and the village as a whole, the Rice Frat thing kinda gets a bit old.

The Village Clothier rocks, though!

Ernies is still around. It's s a big Rice hangout or used to be. Wasn't Deans supposed to be moving to Montrose area?

Dean's added a second location on Fairview, yes. They're in the process of renaming it to The Fairview. The original Dean's is still on Main Street.

I went to Nouveau Antique Art Bar last night. On Tuesdays the Fusion Taco Truck stops there around happy hour, so I had a Manhattan and a shortrib taco (more of a shortrib pita, with tzatziki sauce) that were both really good. Big Head Todd was playing on the speakers and Office Space and Tommy Boy were playing on the TVs.

Edited by kylejack
  • Like 1

Hearsay has awesome atmosphere, but the food was bad when I went. This was when they were first opening, so perhaps it has improved. Maybe I should give it another shot.

Yeah, you should try it again. Restaurant.com sells give certs to Hearsay. When the site runs a special, you can enter a promo code and get a $25 gift cert for $2 (have to spend $35 and excludes alcohol). My wife and I have used it at Hearsay w/out a problem (just tell the waitress ahead of time).

As for Nouveau Antique Art Bar in Midtown... yeah, that place is awesome. It's four blocks from my house so I end up spending way too much money there.

I've been to Grand Prize recently (formerly, Ernie's on Banks) and liked it a lot. Nouveau Antique Art Bar on Main in Midtown is another good one. I tend to be overserved at Warren's on Market Square, but I'm cool with that.

Grand Prize service was mediocre which was a turn off.

Yeah, you should try it again. Restaurant.com sells give certs to Hearsay.

A coupon won't help. $13 for a gin gin mule is ridiculous. Many of their drinks have low pours like Anvil. The food is just average. Bottled, bland sauces on their shrimp cocktail is just a ripoff. Other downtown residents that frequent the place have seen a decline in the quality. Since I never liked it in the first place it just confirms my initial thoughts.

• 2 years later...

Was in town the other day and decided to do my routine semi-annual stroll around around downtown. Didn't have too much time, so comments and observations will be fairly brief. I also don't have any sort of credentials or expertise other than a love of Houston and a lot of years spent following this stuff, so criticisms of my ideas are welcome.

Here are my thoughts, in no particular order:

806 Main renovation is about the best shot in the arm that Main Street could have right now. A blight source turned into a vibrant people place, and adding to the historic architecture. Hopefully they find a better solution to restoring the brick than painting it. They painted the brick on the Great Jones Building on the 700 block, and it's starting to look like an old woman with heavy makeup. Not a great longterm solution.

I think 806 Main will more than make up for the loss of Foley's, as much of a sentimental blow as that was. Foley's has lots of history and memories, but in terms of what it could offer for downtown urbanity, it was pretty much maxed out, thanks to the lack of windows. There was never much exciting about walking in; you always sort of felt like it was your charitable duty as a lover of local history. It was really the first suburban department store with its minimal exterior, and it happened to be built downtown. Architecturally it belongs more to the 50's-70's anti-urban era than to the early 20th century urban era. I'm cautiously optimistic about what replaces it.

The Melrose Bulding on Walker is a dragging blight in an otherwise rejuvenating era. BG Group Place is pulling everything around it up, but Melrose stands there emanating its weird smells, reminding us all of the old blighted 1980's downtown we know and remember. Rumors of a Texaco Building renovation are hopeful, but how many wealthy yuppies are going to want to see that thing out their window and mingle with its encampments of homeless when they walk outside? Would love to know who owns that block and what plans they have.

The other big turnaround for central downtown could be 609 Main. This block is another big hole that brings you down just when you were starting to enjoy the walk northward into the historic area. If this one's a go, it shouldn't be long before the Texaco renovation follows.

Texas Avenue... why don't more of our downtown planners talk about this street? It really has a ton of untapped potential as a delightful walk, with all the little buildings and mature trees on the north side heading towards the ballpark. It's also not burdened with all the parking garages that line Main. This could be a signature street.

Okay, like I said, it wasn't a long walk, although I guess my comments aren't as brief as promised (doesn't that always happen?)...

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I like Texas St. too. There is a narrow vacant building next to the Magnolia that seems to have uncertain value, but apart from that, it is pretty great. The Federal prison building is fairly unobtrusive, but it always gives me a depressing vibe. I like the juxtaposition of the church across the street though, it is well kept and very peaceful. After 609 Main gets built and if Finger's ballpark place ever goes, there would only be 3-4 surface parking blocks to build on before you had attractive, complete urban development from the Bayou all the way to MMP.

Skip a block over to Prairie though and it is quite a bit rougher, but still improving.

...if Finger's ballpark place ever goes, there would only be 3-4 surface parking blocks to build on before you had attractive, complete urban development from the Bayou all the way to MMP.

Does anyone have any information on this?  I have been wondering about this since I have not seen any work being done to the area in a while.

• 3 years later...

So it looks like the city changed up the pedestrian crossing downtown to the detriment of pedestrians this week.  Instead of crossing signals coinciding with green lights (with countdowns ending right before yellow lights), the signals switch to the countdown pretty instantaneously and then pedestrians get two red stop signs either direction for the majority of the green light.  As a result, walking downtown is much slower and more confusing. I have seen a lot more jay walkers. I hope that the pedestrian death downtown last night was not related.  Pretty stupid for a city trying to promote walkability.

• Like 2

Wow that is a change then.  That does really impact walkability - even if you are willing to jaywalk, you don't have the confidence the light will stay green while you're in the intersection if you don't have the walk signal.  I didn't notice anything this morning, but I don't really pay attention to that walk signal anyway :ph34r:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kbates2 said:

So it looks like the city changed up the pedestrian crossing downtown to the detriment of pedestrians this week.  Instead of crossing signals coinciding with green lights (with countdowns ending right before yellow lights), the signals switch to the countdown pretty instantaneously and then pedestrians get two red stop signs either direction for the majority of the green light.  As a result, walking downtown is much slower and more confusing. I have seen a lot more jay walkers. I hope that the pedestrian death downtown last night was not related.  Pretty stupid for a city trying to promote walkability.

Why would they do that? In my area, crossing down countdowns are the main way I can accurately predict when lights turn yellow (when driving) and how many more seconds I have to wait until the lights turn yellow (when walking).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IronTiger said:

Why would they do that? In my area, crossing down countdowns are the main way I can accurately predict when lights turn yellow (when driving) and how many more seconds I have to wait until the lights turn yellow (when walking).

Not sure but I see two common driving issues downtown that they may be trying to curb (assuming that these changes were intentional).  

First, as you said, people use the countdown while driving as almost a second yellow light.  Many drivers (myself included) will speed up when they see the countdown reaching 0 in order to ensure that they make the light.  Having drivers speed through lights is obviously not preferred.

Second, in heavy traffic people will often block the middle of intersections when the countdown approaches 0 to make sure that they don't have to wait out the other light.  At this point they are blocking oncoming traffic when the light changes as well as the pedestrian walkway.  

Trying to stop those activities is understandable.  Doing it at the cost of pedestrian's time and, more importantly, safety is not the best choice.

• Like 1