Downtown Night Life Market

houstonsemipro

thanks greystone! check out this pic i found on the dallas website, not too bad. Still could use less ofthe white christmas lights but this is more acceptable because at least it was christmas time when this was taken.

courtesy of Noah from dallasfortworth urban forum

http://forum.dallasmetropolis.com/attachme...tachmentid=5715

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know of an up to date schedule of events? There is a site called partyontheplaza.com, but i couldnt find anything there except bar listings...nothing much to do with jones plaza.

Particularly, anything going on tonight, May 5th, Thursday?

Thanks.

Thanks for the links. Unfortunately, none of them show anything going on tonight, Thursday May 5th. That seems odd to me, becuase I remember Thursdays being "THE" night on the plaza. I know Tuesdays and Wednesdays is Salsa, Merenge, Tejano nights. But what's going on tonight??

I live almost right across The Plaza and I don't remember much going on Thursday nights. I remember the good times when they used to have Party On The Plaze in a parking lot - before the new place. That used to draw at least 1000 people every Thursday.

Thanks for the links.  Unfortunately, none of them show anything going on tonight, Thursday May 5th.  That seems odd to me, becuase I remember Thursdays being "THE" night on the plaza.  I know Tuesdays and Wednesdays is Salsa, Merenge, Tejano nights.  But what's going on tonight??

?? The link I provided shows Party on the Plaza when you click on May 5. No detail, but it says... "Weekly live concert series after work. Weather permitting."

??  The link I provided shows Party on the Plaza when you click on May 5.  No detail, but it says...  "Weekly live concert series after work. Weather permitting."

Yip. I saw that. Oh well. Looks like the only way I will KNOW what's going there is to go down there in person. Unfortuantely, I will then have at my proximity and disposal all of the bars on Market Square and main street in case nothing is going on at Jones Plaza. In which case, I will be forced to drink at Market Square. Damn it. I hate it when that happens.

As far as I know, Party on the Plaza, at least in it's original form, is defunct. What a shame, after they remodeled the plaza and all. Some of the acts I remember seeing included Warren Zevon, John Mayall, Jimmy Vaughan, and Steppenwolf, among others. It was a great scene, and all free! I think the changing tastes in music and the aging of the original baby boomer crowd had something to do with it's demise, but they just couldn't get it going again after the plaza was shut down for it's transition into "Jordy's Toilet". Sorry, Jordy, but those blue tiles!...ugh.

Yip.  I saw that.  Oh well.  Looks like the only way I will KNOW what's going there is to go down there in person.  Unfortuantely, I will then have at my proximity and disposal all of the bars on Market Square and main street in case nothing is going on at Jones Plaza.  In which case, I will be forced to drink at Market Square.  Damn it.  I hate it when that happens.

C'mon 2112, do it for US! Take one for the team! ;-)

One thing that contributes to Houston's dull night skyline is the height restriction for corporate names & logos on top of buildings. I find that to be so rediculous in Houston of all places, the billboard capital of the world. Dallas on the other hand, which has a beaufitul night skyline has neon & corporate names illuminated on top of most all buildings in the city.

On a side note, I was driving by downtown at night last weekend & noticed the ExXon building, which several months ago during the Astros play offs had changed their white "christmas" lights to blue, are now white again. So much for being different...

On a side note, I was driving by downtown at night last weekend & noticed the ExXon building, which several months ago during the Astros play offs had changed their white "christmas" lights to blue, are now white again.  So much for being different...

since metro matt has revived this thread, i was wondering about the status of the lighting petition.

i also remember for a short time a tall building downtown that accented its entire outline with green neon lighting, which in contrast to the other buildings was insane and which subsequently bleed off and reflected off the surrounding buildings at night, making that area a bit surreal & annoying.

Your talking about the Wedge Tower - near the Enrons.

I really think Houston needs to have marques downtown, (I have one in particular - Ill render it this summer for all) and display NASDAQ, Stocks - news - sports! Could have them in and around Main Street.

I will draw up some ideas and post them - if I think about it later on.

Your talking about the Wedge Tower - near the Enrons.

I really think Houston needs to have marques downtown, (I have one in particular - Ill render it this summer for all) and display NASDAQ, Stocks - news - sports!  Could have them in and around Main Street.

I will draw up some ideas and post them - if I think about it later on.

Hey, if you can display stocks while at the Astros games, why not?

One thing that contributes to Houston's dull night skyline is the height restriction for corporate names & logos on top of buildings.  I find that to be so rediculous in Houston of all places, the billboard capital of the world.  Dallas on the other hand, which has a beaufitul night skyline has neon & corporate names illuminated on top of most all buildings in the city.

On a side note, I was driving by downtown at night last weekend & noticed the ExXon building, which several months ago during the Astros play offs had changed their white "christmas" lights to blue, are now white again.  So much for being different...

Metro Matt, you are so right. If Houston was able to have corporate names and logos on top, it would help Houston's night skyline and it wouldn't look so plain and generic.

And yes, shame on the Exxon Mobil building for changing their lights at top back to white. I was very disappointed when i first noticed them changing back several weeks ago. Now that building sticks out like a sore thumb at night.

I couldnt disagree more about corporate logos.

There all over tv, radio, everywhere along roads ect.... The last place I want to see an ugly sign (corporate logo) is on top of a building. Afterall most dont own the buildings they just lease space.

Think of it as leaving the Fred Haas Toyoto logo on your car - its not there place to advertise, since its yours. In a way these buildings are our cathedrals and town halls (of the old world), they represent Houston and all who live there. Look at Los Angeles as an example of what not to do with high-rise and corporate logos.

Afterall those logos dont do anything to revitilize an area, or draw nightlife!

Afterall those logos dont do anything to revitilize an area, or draw nightlife!

I agree but it does look better and appeals more at night rather than drab boring lighting. That's just me, i'm a fan of nightlit skylines. I think it's important to have that as well as a great day skyline.

I am a fan of the Buffalo Bayou Masterplan which includes lighting the buildings of downtown like the phases of the moon, the renderings look pretty nice and it would be interesting to see the buildings change with the moon (since its hard to see through the smog).

Say what you want about the lighting scheme of downtown, but I love the way downtown looks at night. I couldn't be any prouder of what Houston is during the day, and what it is during the evenings. I just went through I-35 Friday night from San Antonio to Dallas, and thought that

San Antonio looks a lot like Astroworld at night with all its lights highlighting its hideous architectures

Austin looked like San Antonio Jr minus the elegant state capital

Dallas is just plain ol' boring vanilla Dallas, with that dated lollypop looking tower totally out of place to its oversized buildings.

Houston may not be lit up like Las Vegas, but at night when the city is calm, and the traffic is complacent, downtown is resting. The neon highlights and quiet lighting relect what the rest of the city is doing: SLEEPING or out somewhere else having fun! I am proud of what our skyline looks like during the day or night. But I have to agree with everyone on here that the white christmas lighting has to go!

• 2 months later...

I got this email from Opus, just wondering if anyone else had heard about this:

Introducing the Downtown Entertainment District Validated Parking Program available every Friday & Saturday night!

The Downtown Entertainment District is pleased to announce our new Validated Parking Program. The program, which begins Friday, August 5, 2005 and will continue every Friday and Saturday, was created in response to your concerns about difficulty in finding safe, affordable parking around the area.

Here

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully, if the Houston Pavilions project gets off the ground gets built, it will encourage a little more colorful " glitz" for downtown at night away from the crumby christmas light scheme currently. That would definitely make the place look a little more exciting.