Downtown Night Life Market

houstonsemipro

as long as it doesn't get to tacky, I say go for it. Oh and it is nice to be posting here again.

Question for LTAWACS, why are you using my old login name?

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,

Capt-AWACS, Veni, Vidi, Bibi

Yeah, I like the lights on the Atlanta skyscrapers. The thing is, the HOU scrapers are not really designed like that (we don't have any spires, or anything). If anything, we just need a bunch of spotlights, to put a nice glow on everything.

Question for LTAWACS, why are you using my old login name?

That explains it. I had been wondering, you seem so much different on SSP. You were always very informative I was wondering what had happened to you. LOL

Back on topic my favorites for lighting at night are

1000 Main

Wells Fargo

Centerpoint tower (old Reliant tower)

JP Morgan Chase (20's one)

Continental

If only more buildings could have other things than the cheap Christmas lights around the top.

it seems someone ganked my old handle. But I was always Lt AWACS with the rank using a small "t" but that was over 15 months ago. Oh well, as the future mayor of Houston I have to represent ;)

I'm a big fan of the Continental, maybe it is the pilot in me-- but I am not a big fan of neon. (I can see the CO from my frontyard when I am home and it is great IMO).

Leave the flashy neon to Vegas... Tasteful is good.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,

Capt-AWACS, Delightfully Tacky, Yet Unrefined

My favorite Houston buildings at night:

1. Williams Tower - its bright rotating beacon sweeping over the Uptown skyline which can be seen all over the city.

2. Reliant Energy Plaza - the color changing vertical lights on top

3. Continental Center - the blue Continental logo being projected on top

4. Bank of America - the up lights look very fitting for this gothic design, not too bright, but still show off the sharp-pointed "steps"

5. Wedge International Tower - green neon lit top, but wish it was still completely outlined like BOA in Dallas

6. Wells Fargo Plaza - white neon lit top

7. Centerpoint Energy Plaza - circle of white lights inside its "top hat" look very futuristic

8. 1500 Louisiana - also a very futurustic lighting scheme on top.

9. Exxon Mobil Tower - brownie points for changing the dull yellow lights to blue ones.

10. Chase Tower - the same dull looking yellow lights used on many Houston buildings doesn't do much for me, especially on the tallest building in Houston & the state of Texas, but it does make the building clearly visible from far away due to its enormous height. Its weird though, sometimes the lights on top aren't even lit for months, then suddenly its all lit up again....

When i had started a topic like this before the old HAIF forum crashed, i had drawn quite a few supporters on this issue to change the way some of those buildings show themselves at night.

LargeTexas had even drawn up a petition for us to sign but i haven't heard anything about it or any updates in regard to, or if he even submitted the thing. I've tried PMing him numerous times on it and i am never successful trying to get thru to him. Please Large, let us know somethin!!! :P

However, It is quite embarassing watching the Houston rockets game on TV and the TV showing all the buildings around the Toyota Center w/ tacky Christmas lights when we see crowns on Atlanta and other cities like Seattle who take a little more pride in lighting their structures.

But when i drive around many areas of Houston at night, there are other skylines that contain buildings that use the same white christmas light scheme as the buildings do in downtown. Ever been to Greenspoint? Even TMC. The only two skylines i think aren't too bad with this are uptown and Greenway Plaza.

But I'm curious as to why that seems like the only or "main" lighting scheme in Houston. It doesn't make Houston appealing at night, it just makes it seem boring. Kudos though to all the buildings that try though. But when it comes to this, that old saying "one bad apple spoils a bunch" comes in to mind.

But i'm w/ greystone and YazukaIce, some buildings owners need to get a clue and realize that Christmas time year around is not tasteful, it's not classy, it's tacky. And Metro Matt, i'm with you, i wish the Wedge Tower still lit up the sides like the BOA tower in Dallas. I still have no idea why they stopped that or why they at least don't even do it for special events.

I'm sorry. I have never received a PM from you C2H. I cannot say the petition was a success. I asked if anyone on the forum would help distribute the petition if I were to write it. I received some decent feedback but no offers for help in any way. I gave two updates asking again if anyone would please help distribute the petition. In two months on the board the petition received 14 signatures. I ended up taking the petition around myself and recieved a modest 609 signatures. I have spoken with Central Houston about the problem with lighting and have gotten some good feedback on the petition.

This brings an issue about this forum, however. This is a discussion forum so the expectations for posters taking action should be low, I understand. But with the fervor which many feel towards some of the issues raised, I would hope more action could take place. Many of the city officials have no idea that there are residents that actually care about certain issues. We have a powerful tool here with this board. We all seem to have similar beliefs about the way in which we'd like to see the city progress. Every once in a while it would be nice if we could take action.

Again, here's the petition: http://www.ipetitions.com/campaigns/Better_Lighting/

PS If anyone has links to photos for various buildings downtown I would like to include them in the petition. Aslo, any skyline photos at night would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I'm sorry. I have never received a PM from you C2H. I cannot say the petition was a success. I asked if anyone on the forum would help distribute the petition if I were to write it.

PS If anyone has links to photos for various buildings downtown I would like to include them in the petition. Aslo, any skyline photos at night would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If there's anything more i could do to help, please let me know. Maybe you can e-mail me the signed petition and i can present it to the next City Council meeting. Do you know how to get in contact with Central Houston?

I'm the only one with access to view who's signed it. The online petition still only has a few signatures so viewing them wouldn't really tell you that much.

C2H, yes, I have contacted Central Houston and have spoken with them about the petition. They are probably not the right organization to handle the issue, though. If you would, please take it to a City Council meeting. It would be great to get the word out.

PS. It's never too late to sign this petition!

OK Large, consider it done. I do think i would have a better chance of the building owners considering it though if you could somehow provide me with the list of signatures. Is there a way you can e-mail them to me as an attachment or something? I'll go ahead and print the petition.

First off, to Lowbrow, I'm in the Army, and we all share our condolences to all lost that day.

Now, I LOVE this topic of lighting right here. I got three words for ya. Power of Houston. Remember that festival? Remember how the downtown buildings were lit up during those nights, how the spotlights were set up, and how everyone wanted to take pictures of our skyline? Why not have that same lighting every night? And if not every night, why nit set it up that way during big events like the International Festival, RodeoHouston, or the Super Bowl, when the whole can see us? (why did they only have those lights up when no one else but Houston could have admired it?)

I think that is a great idea and i think i remember this petition because i think i even signed it on the old forum. C2H (aka ComingtoHouston) and Large TX. Get this thing out! I think there could use a sligh tweak/update to the petition though. Isn't the Chevron Tower now called the Fulbright tower? Just wonderin'

I think that is a great idea and i think i remember this petition because i think i even signed it on the old forum. C2H (aka ComingtoHouston) and Large TX. Get this thing out! I think there could use a sligh tweak/update to the petition though. Isn't the Chevron Tower now called the Fulbright tower? Just wonderin'

Thanks. I just made the change. Now you step up and get this thing out!

Thanks. I just made the change. Now you step up and get this thing out!

My bad i didn't mean for it to come out like that. If that came across as offensive, i apologize. But on the other hand, I thought this was your project because you are the one with all the access to the files and numerous signatures, but i would love to help so let's all GET THIS THING OUT.

well grey when i don't think you meant it offensive. It just sounded like you were hyped up about the petition and was trying to sound encouraging. But any help would be appreciated.

Tierwestah, You a jokesta huh?

Large TX, i've printed out the petition and i'm ready for it to go out but like i said, i think it might go better if you can somehow e-mail the signature page to me. Also i would like to help out with the musuem one you drew up too. I would really like to get a Black Arts musuem here in Houston.

Like some posters here said, I like downtown Houston's more straightforward lights that speckle the skylime. I don't think it needs that colorful green neon or lighted x-dots or blinking dandelion tower such as Dallas. That look is good for Dallas but for Houston, the muscular outline of the skyline is majestic as it is! The small accents on top of some Houston towers are sufficient then.

Besides I like the fact that the Uptown Galleria's Williams Tower has that spinning beacon that signifies, "OK, Houston, it's party time!" Reunion Tower does that for Dallas...but to me it's cool that Houston's second major skyline does that major lighting effect.

Like some posters here said, I like downtown Houston's more straightforward lights that speckle the skylime.  I don't think it needs that colorful green neon or lighted x-dots or blinking dandelion tower such as Dallas.  That look is good for Dallas but for Houston, the muscular outline of the skyline is majestic as it is!  The small accents on top of some Houston towers are sufficient then.

i feel completely the opposite. Maybe its just me but i have had people to agree with me that Houston's skyline is mostly drab the way it is now at night. There are some buildings that do their part in lighting the skyline but some ruin the overall effect.

I find it quite offensive and frustrating when i visit some cities like Austin, Dallas, Philladelphia, Atlanta, and Chicago and they can light their buildings in a tasteful style, while many of Houston's buildings use the same ol' boring white christmas light scheme.

I would definitely like to see things change for a city like Houston. I do agree with you on the uptown skyline though, i love how that's lit up, but it's not centrally located like downtown and might run the risk of being missed by visitors coming into town.

P.S. Welcome to the forum

i feel completely the opposite. Maybe its just me but i have had people to agree with me that Houston's skyline is mostly drab the way it is now at night. There are some buildings that do their part in lighting the skyline but some ruin the overall effect.

I find it quite offensive and frustrating when i visit some cities like Austin, Dallas, Philladelphia, Atlanta, and Chicago and they can light their buildings in a tasteful style, while many of Houston's buildings use the same ol' boring white christmas light scheme.

I would definitely like to see things change for a city like Houston. I do agree with you on the uptown skyline though, i love how that's lit up, but it's not centrally located like downtown and might run the risk of being missed by visitors coming into town.

P.S. Welcome to the forum

Agree 100%, C2H. I'll give two more perfect example: Downtown Miami and Las Vegas. Lighting works, yo. And we got the skyline to do it. We looked great during Power of Houston, but if visiters saw what we saw during that time period, they'd be in awe.

I heard about Power of Houston. I regret that i never got the opportunity to see that. It's almost like it was a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I heard about Power of Houston. I regret that i never got the opportunity to see that. It's almost like it was a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Here's a pic or two from Power of Houston...

http://www.flex.net/~furneaux/poh.htm

http://houston.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsit.../powerofhouston

http://www.hightsite.com/powhouston.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kt/1131906/

now THIS ONE is what I think Houston could look like on a regular basis at night...

http://www.hightsite.com/powhou05.html

what do you think?

i think they're awesome. thanks for sharing. If anyone else wants to help me out on getting this petition to the next city council meeting. please let me know. It's kind of unfortunate because City Council meetings are mainly held at 1pm and those are working hours.

Large TEXAS, i've started asking around trying to get signatures of my own. How many signatures did you say you had got again?

I think Downtown Miami's skyline looks the best out of the whole country at night.

BTW, 27, it's be SOOOOO COOOOLLL if we could have a Ultra Music Festival in Houston like Downtown Miami does. The biggest electronic music fest in the world, with the lit up skyline, and over 50,000 visiters in the city?! Imagine that, yo!!!! DJs unite!!!! RESPECT!!!

The funny part is that downtown Miami only has a couple of buildings (and most notably the BOA Tower) lit at night. So in this, I think it shows that you can do a quality job of lighting the skyline without going overboard.

I really think that as far as Houston lighting goes, you have a great opportunity with the following towers:

BOA

Enron II (can't think of its new name right now)

The former Chevron-Texaco Tower

Fulbright Tower

Houston Center 5

I think proper lighting on these buildings--that is, without going overboard with gaudy neon outlines or what have you--would give the nightskyline a better overall shape.

I don't think the lighting as it is now is bad but it doesn't make quite the impact because the wrong towers are pretty dark, and the current lighting is difficult to consume from a distance.