Downtown Night Life Market

houstonsemipro

Power of Houston was INCREDIBLE!! Impossible to describe. And pictures, as spectacular as they are, do not do it justice. I wish they would make it a permanent annual event.

DJV Lawrence: great pics of Power of Houston. I like your idea for a regular lighting of the skyline.

Re: the petition to City Council. While it might help to get the City Council interested... They are not the ones who make the decision on lighting buildings. Each individual building owner makes that call. It might be more useful to present the petition to the building owners and/or the various downtown organizations (and there seems to be too many of those, but that's another subject)

Power of Houston was INCREDIBLE!!  Impossible to describe.  And pictures, as spectacular as they are, do not do it justice.  I wish they would  make it a permanent annual event. 

DJV Lawrence:  great pics of Power of Houston.  I like your idea for a regular lighting of the skyline.

Re:  the petition to City Council.  While it might help to get the City Council interested...  They are not the ones who make the decision on lighting buildings.  Each individual building owner makes that call.  It might be more useful to present the petition to the building owners and/or the  various downtown organizations (and there seems to be too many of those, but that's another subject)

Special OYE to Houston19514! You have just joined the Kick-Ass Club, my friend! Kinda curious about the last paragraph in your statement. How did Power of Houston pull it off in the first place? I mean, being allowed to light up the buildings? And even if they agree, would the City of Houston still have to approve it?

Oye, and they REALLY should not have stopped Power of Houston only after the 3rd year. I wonder why they chose to have that event in October and not for 4th of July or New Year's Eve...

Reliant Energy was the primary backer, and I think the organizer, of Power of Houston. They had to get the cooperation of most every major building owner downtown, not only to cast lights on them, but to install lights and fireworks and lasers on their rooftops and in many cases, take out windows and install equipment inside of buildings. Weeks before the show, they were running helicopters dropping stuff on the tops of the buildings. It was an incredible undertaking and no doubt very expensive, but at the same time, the whole festival raised a bunch of money for charity.

I think the primary reason it was in October rather than 4th of July or New Years Eve is a very simple one: better, more comfortable weather.

I brought my three nephews and neice down for it and they still talk about it. All agree they'd love to see it again and would happily pay for it.

Reliant Energy was the primary backer, and I think the organizer, of Power of Houston.  They had to get the cooperation of most every major building owner downtown, not only to cast lights on them, but to install lights and fireworks and lasers on their rooftops and in many cases, take out windows and install equipment inside of buildings.  Weeks before the show, they were running helicopters dropping stuff on the tops of the buildings.  It was an incredible undertaking and no doubt very expensive, but at the same time, the whole festival raised a bunch of money for charity.

You know, I bet if someone convinced City Council, City Council THEMSELVES could talk to the corperations about using the buildings at night on a regular basis :-)

i feel completely the opposite. Maybe its just me but i have had people to agree with me that Houston's skyline is mostly drab the way it is now at night. There are some buildings that do their part in lighting the skyline but some ruin the overall effect.

I find it quite offensive and frustrating when i visit some cities like Austin, Dallas, Philladelphia, Atlanta, and Chicago and they can light their buildings in a tasteful style, while many of Houston's buildings use the same ol' boring white christmas light scheme.

I would definitely like to see things change for a city like Houston. I do agree with you on the uptown skyline though, i love how that's lit up, but it's not centrally located like downtown and might run the risk of being missed by visitors coming into town.

P.S. Welcome to the forum

Not everyone feels that cheesy lighting is necessary for a skyline. Houston's always been known for its bold nocturnal skyline dress despite not having loud neon outlines, blinking effects, fancy spotlighting and what not. That is what makes downtown unique. It doesn't have to be like other cities that don't have bold skylines, those that need all the makeup and cosmetics for the night time display. "Natural" beauty works for me in this case.

In mid 1988, that was a time well before any downtown revitalization, my friends and I took a visitor from San Francisco driving on I-10 East, for a tour around the Space City.

Peering out the car window, she was genuinely charmed by the nocturnal Houston skyline saying, "Wow, that is sooo pretty." Heck, I was kinda mesmerized too at the moment!

So it's all a judgement call as far as taste.

I've personally seen the nocturnal skylines of cities such as Atlanta, Chicago, Austin, Dallas, Miami and Vegas at night...and to be quite honest, I'm satisfied that Houston doesn't use gaudy nightlights similarly.

To me, we try and pretty up downtown Houston at night as you say, then there will be detractors who proffer, "Oh, poor low-esteemed Houston's trying to copy Dallas or Miami."

I do not refer to Christmas lighting but rather the natural lights from the offices at nights that speckle Houston towers...the way they fill up the majestic skyline...to me that will always be cool. Very noir, yet letting H-town's architectural splendor speak for itself.

As far as that perpetual, boring Christmas lighting...I think Houston fortunately is not in the company as nocturnal Fort Worth or San Francisco.

For me, something like a subtle blue on the spires of the former NCNB building might look cool...

And thanks for the welcomage.

Houston's always been known for its bold nocturnal skyline dress despite not having loud neon outlines, blinking effects, fancy spotlighting and what not.  That is what makes downtown unique. It doesn't have to be like other cities that don't have bold skylines, those that need all the makeup and cosmetics for the night time display.  "Natural" beauty works for me in this case.

To me, we try and pretty up downtown Houston at night as you say, then there will be detractors who proffer, "Oh, poor low-esteemed Houston's trying to copy Dallas or Miami."

I do not refer to Christmas lighting but rather the natural lights from the offices at nights that speckle Houston towers...the way they fill up the majestic skyline...to me that will always be cool.  Very noir, yet letting H-town's architectural splendor speak for itself. 

i don't think everyone is necessarily saying we gotta do all neon like DALLAS. But i'ma tell yall what MY BIGGEST problem is with Houston's lighting scheme. And I know i've said it before but i'll say it once AGAIN but I hate that almost every building in Houston has to have the SAME OL' white christmas lights surrounding the rooftops. Now that's just ME, i can't speak for everyone else like C2H but i don't want Houston to be so subtle and dull

Not you or anyone else on this forum will convince me that Houston's nightlit skyline belongs in the Traveler's magazine.

i Not you or anyone else on this forum will convince me that Houston's nightlit skyline belongs in the Traveler's magazine.

You know who's city's skyline does a good job in lighting without being too gaudy or flashy? Denver Colorado. If Houston MUST be laid back, maybe it needs to try more relaxing colors in the skyline. The Continental Tower, Wells Fargo are pretty relaxing and now the Exxon Mobil now that it's using the blue lights on top now.

I definitely agree with you on this one about how christmas lighting can ruining the festive feel for christmas time year round. IT also cheapens the skyline at night. I just say if you don't want to do the lighting technique right, don't do it at all.

that lighting scheme would be perfect for me. aren't some of those buildings partially vacant? maybe they really can't afford it...

i would love to see the Power of Houston come back, there have been a lot of changes downtown, i think it would go really well with the main event. and houston has a lot more visibility downtown with the superbowl and all star games, i didn't even hear about POH when i was in stl.

i don't think everyone is necessarily saying we gotta do all neon like DALLAS. But i'ma tell yall what MY BIGGEST problem is with Houston's lighting scheme. And I know i've said it before but i'll say it once AGAIN but I hate that almost every building in Houston has to have the SAME OL' white christmas lights surrounding the rooftops. Now that's just ME, i can't speak for everyone else like C2H but i don't want Houston to be so subtle and dull

Not you or anyone else on this forum will convince me that Houston's nightlit skyline belongs in the Traveler's magazine.

I haven't been in Houston since July 2004 so I don't know if downtown Houston of right now has those perpetual "same ol' white Christmas lights" that you speak of. If so, then you are right, they need to go. And thusly, without them, Houston's normal downtown lighting from the office building windows is still unique; it fills out the outline of the skyline rather dramatically nonetheless.

Most of these skylines on "Traveler's magazine" are rather lackluster as such compared to Houston's. Do we need to get riled up because of lighting? I don't think so. Just because they have pretty lighting doesn't mean they make me breathless. I like Vegas at night but without those super accents, that nocturnal skyline is nothing really. Ditto with Miami and Austin. I live in San Diego, and there's no skyline here, day or night, really worth writing home about.

I always get breathless when I drive down south on I-45 at night...looking up at downtown H-town's bold outlines. I mean that sight is just so awesome. And I certainly am not the only one who gets that rush...

I never get the same breathlessness when I drive east on Dallas' 35-E at night. It's a charming sight, sure, but to me doesn't have the same drama that Houston's overall night effects have.

Night lights are but one component of a skyline's true effect. For Houston's bold outline, those normal office window lights proffer a very dramatic effect...no distractions from any cheesy color neon and overdone accent lighting.

How would you think Dallas' nocturnal skyline would look without those neon outlines and blinking dandelion? Despite the fancy futurism, those buildings don't seem to have a collective effect that Houston's does. Dallas is sleek-n-sexy but not as bold and dramatic like Houston. So with all those fancy lights, downtown Dallas still does not mesmerize like downtown Houston (especially when you drive the 288 from Pearland to 59 south).

Truly, would you rather, overall, have Austin's or Atlanta's skyline, with pretty accent lighting and such, OR Houston's even with none of that superficial lighting of these other "Traveler's magazine" cities that you seem to adore?

absolutely love it. But why does it seem like downtown Houston is the only city that worries so much about a light bill? I mean, aren't most of these multi-million dollar corporations? Can't they afford it? Seriously.

Couldn't they have a solar power system that absorbs power during the day, and automatically turns on at night? You know, like them one you may have in your front yard, yo? Sounds far-fetched, but that could be done too! And like, the light bill would be MAD down, yo.

the energy yield you get from solar power is really low. it would take a lot to power downtown. where are you going to put all those solar panels?

they should be able to come up with something though. this is the energy capitol of the world right?

Tierwester, i applaud you. You're not afraid to speak your mind and i respect that. I've been kinda nervous to emphasize some of things like you did in fear of being ridiculed. And yes the white xmas lights on every building is very BORING. Finally someone who feels as adimate about it as i do.

Corection: Lightenup from the old Houston forum. Can't forget you. You related to me on this issue too, wherever or whoever you are these days ^_^

Tierwester, i applaud you. You're not afraid to speak your mind and i respect that. I've been kinda nervous to emphasize some of things like you did in fear of being ridiculed. And yes the white xmas lights on every building is very BORING. Finally someone who feels as adimate about it as i do.

Corection: Lightenup from the old Houston forum. Can't forget you. You related to me on this issue too, wherever or whoever you are these days  ^_^

don't worry guys. I agree with you on the christmas lights on downtown thing. I think the city should go all or nothing when it comes to downtown lighting.

don't worry guys. I agree with you on the christmas lights on downtown thing. I think the city should go all or nothing when it comes to downtown lighting.

Thanks DJ. I hope you all signed the petition because i'm gonna get this out to the next City Council Meeting.

Large Texas, can you get me access to your part of the signature page? I'm gonna add your list to my list of signatures

ALRIGHT FOLKS! Check out this website i found. You all might already know about it but check it out anyway, it's pretty neat http://www.houstontx.gov/council/about.html

hopefully the above website will be of some help on how to go about getting the petition to city council and what the guidelines and procedures are. I know i'm going to mail a copy of the petition to the address listed. I'm working on getting a list of signatures of my own though. I love to help in political projects like these.