GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

6 hours ago, C List said:

To be completely honest, Midway does not own the property. They are the General Partner so they probably own 5% of the property and would not be putting up the majority of the capital for renovations, all they do is provide the vision and programming. It is up to the Limited Partner (Lionstone) to decide when and what actually gets funded. 

I know everyone likes to think designing, programming, and construction are the epicenters of buildings but I promise it is finance. I'm willing to bet that when the team got their hands on the property in 2012 and then sat through the downturn 2014, that the property needed a whole lot more money infused and that the returns weren't worth it. Sometimes you have to sit on a property and find the right time, sometimes you have to admit you got it wrong and sell. 

If it was easy to flip/build a property I'm sure you would be doing it yourself. 

Midway and whomever else can do what theywish, as I said.  I also didn’t say it was easy nor that I had any chance of doing it myself.   That said, what I did say is that I am tired of midway publishing gorgeous  renderings of this property that, IF it gets built, looks nothing like the rendering.   There is a pattern of this since 2012, IMO.

since you say that finance folks are in charge, perhaps midway et al should wait to publish all the glitzy renderings until the finance folks approve of the cost.  If the glitz isn’t approved, then publish renderings of what the finance folks did approve.  Seems Simple, honest, and straight forward.

• Like 2

Well we know another tenant moving in. I think this is great with AT&T Sports Houston and Hotel Alessandra. And if it’s true Lifetime Fitness is coming, that and Forever 21, the House of Blues, and a host of restaurants imo means GreenStreet is heading in the right direction. 

https://www.chron.com/techburger/article/MassChallenge-business-accelerator-opening-in-13573843.php 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Well we know another tenant moving in. I think this is great with AT&T Sports Houston and Hotel Alessandra. And if it’s true Lifetime Fitness is coming, that and Forever 21, the House of Blues, and a host of restaurants imo means GreenStreet is heading in the right direction. 

https://www.chron.com/techburger/article/MassChallenge-business-accelerator-opening-in-13573843.php 

The article says this will be at Main and Clay. So I guess it will be on the ground floor of GreenStreet's parking garage.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Lifetime is going there. Per a contact, the lease is signed.

Edited by SMU1213
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
23 minutes ago, urbanize713 said:

Wow so many people called it! So the post was removed on Reddit, but somebody captured a photo of a piece of paper on the window of Forever 21 at the Galleria saying that the store would be closed until Forever 21 paid over $100,000 for their space. Guess this was a sign of things to come.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I can’t say I don’t enjoy Forever 21’s presence downtown, but even if they close up shop, the bigger issue here is not having a major tenant to anchor smaller retail. We need something like a Bloomingdales or hell bring back Macys. 

Macy's just closed their downtown Seattle store. Department stores are over.

Just now, H-Town Man said:

Daaamn thats a tough blow to Seattle. They have a nice retail area in their downtown. So what will anchor future stores? Or are we just going to see such a dive in traditional retail that the idea of having dry goods downtown is dead? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Daaamn thats a tough blow to Seattle. They have a nice retail area in their downtown. So what will anchor future stores? Or are we just going to see such a dive in traditional retail that the idea of having dry goods downtown is dead? 

Seattle will weather the blow. Building will be repurposed in no time, probably creative space of some sort with food on the first floor. Retail is all food and drink these days.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

Macy's just isn't unique. Its just your general run of the mill department store. "General" Department stores are over. I live in Montrose and its been fun lately seeing clothing retailers start to pop back up along Westheimer, and it seems they are doing well but thats because they are unique and have a strong identity. When I walk into a Macy's I think, "yeah I can just order this online".

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Luminare said:

Macy's just isn't unique. Its just your general run of the mill department store. "General" Department stores are over. I live in Montrose and its been fun lately seeing clothing retailers start to pop back up along Westheimer, and it seems they are doing well but thats because they are unique and have a strong identity. When I walk into a Macy's I think, "yeah I can just order this online".

Neiman Marcus is hurting and could go bankrupt in a couple years. JCPenney could go bankrupt any month.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Texasota said:

I'm gonna argue for a Muji.

Or a UNIQLO.

32 minutes ago, Luminare said:

Wait what retailers have popped up in Montrose recently?

• Like 1

The Macy's in the Galleria and the one in Baybrook, back when my sister worked there two years ago, were routinely in the top 10 for revenue in the Nation. So unless Macy's is super duper F'ed, then I'm assuming they'll be around for a while to come. Sucks about Forever 21, but their clothes really sucked in terms of quality. You guys gotta hope for a Target, that would solve all the problems (their clothes are better than Forevs 21, in my opinion).

But I hear Target prefers to own the property of the building so theres that. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, X.R. said:

The Macy's in the Galleria and the one in Baybrook, back when my sister worked there two years ago, were routinely in the top 10 for revenue in the Nation. So unless Macy's is super duper F'ed, then I'm assuming they'll be around for a while to come. Sucks about Forever 21, but their clothes really sucked in terms of quality. You guys gotta hope for a Target, that would solve all the problems (their clothes are better than Forevs 21, in my opinion).

But I hear Target prefers to own the property of the building so theres that. 

or H&M. Then again I'm a walking H&M billboard/sellout haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Luminare said:

...and those are also general department stores. So my point stands?

You said "run of the mill." Is Neiman Marcus "run of the mill"? I don't consider the clothing shops in Montrose to be department stores.

Maybe what you're calling a "general department store," I'm just calling a "department store." A large building with a vast array of retail goods grouped into different departments.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

You said "run of the mill." Is Neiman Marcus "run of the mill"? I don't consider the clothing shops in Montrose to be department stores.

Maybe what you're calling a "general department store," I'm just calling a "department store." A large building with a vast array of retail goods grouped into different departments.

You could be entirely correct. Its possible a much clearer definition of terms we should use would be "department store" which you have laid out the definition to, which I can agree to, and I would proposed a second definition be "boutique store". Department store referring to the large variety, and the boutique referring to the small. Would that be a better way to construct this?

• Like 1