GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

2 hours ago, downtownian said:

Those are also Hotel Laura photos. They did not change any of the rooms or design. Really just changed the name from Alessandra to Laura

That may be so, but the photos still have "HA" on the pillows and "Hotel Alessandra" in the photograph on the TV.

Edited by MidCenturyMoldy
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

The Laura Hotel, Autograph Collection opened its doors on Tuesday, becoming downtown Houston's newest hospitality offering. Named after the steamboat Laura, which ferried the original developers of Houston, the 223-room, 21-floor hotel was imagined as a modern take on Bayou City history.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Take-a-look-inside-The-Laura-Hotel-in-downtown-16770517.php

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/houkd-the-laura-hotel-autograph-collection/

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Big E said:

Doubt they want a lot of hotels near the homeless.

A hotel near Midmain would be a great location.  That area has cleaned up fairly quick since they blocked the area under 59 and most of the area under the spur.   

• Like 3

• The title was changed to GreenStreet Redevelopment And Hotel Alessandra
  • This topic was unlocked, unlocked and unlocked
  • 3 weeks later...

well dang the pandemic destroyed this development in my opinion... (despite it already being a failure to some standards)

went to see the amazing band Forester last night at HOB Peacock Room and most restaurants were shuttered or closed including House Of Blues main restaurant as apparently they are no longer open on Sundays (which their gospel brunch used to be a popular staple...)

I had a hard time trying to find a close by place to eat around 5pm so i went to the former Lucky Strike bowling alley that was "luxury" bowling complete with dress code etc...and now it is called 818 Bowling and man oh man...let's just say it's devolved... 45 min wait for subpar fried food no less (yes i ate horribly but to be honest nothing else appealed to me much) and the staff was just hanging out and eating openly at the bar as well...then it just looked a little run down and dang they play their music waaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy too loud to enjoy any conversation in the bar/restaurant. BUT they did brag about most everything on their menu is 10 to 15 dollars and that bowling is only 10 dollars per hour...so hey if you are looking for the Dollar Store version of Pinstripes then this is your place! ;) 

but again, sad to see that this development has never really taken off or lands the right mix of businesses...

Edited by gene
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

gospel brunch ran it's course 10 years ago, the corporate types forced them to have it once a month. They tried rebranding it as kirk franklin's gospel brunch, that didn't work. I personally have no interest in ever setting foot in that stupid place again, even if they offer me twice my day rate. The Great Wall Of Tumbleweed is falling apart, they need to fix it or take it down (I would prefer they take it down)

the bowling alley already catered to the lowest common denominator, albeit those who could pass their dress code. They had great potato chips and club sammiches. I can't bowl more than 5 frames due to a shoulder injury suffered across the hall, so I rarely went there.

Guadalajara was bad ass if you ate off-menu items. They made them for me since I was in there a lot. Is it still open? I have no interest in ever setting foot on that property again.

Phoenicia around the corner is still good, but they cut down on the number of days they have lamb shanks (baa baa sheep must not be having kids anymore, either, like their human counterparts), and they no longer have curry.

Dirt Bar is still there, still sounds awesome inside (heh heh), Veronica is still beautiful, other Veronica is at Etro now, i have posted pics of both before, they're both models who bartend.

• Like 4

regarding HOB, my best friend has played the main stage so many times that i just have good memories of both the venue and the restaurant where we got to eat free when they had a show haha! and honestly the gospel brunch was fun in my opinion...but anyway...

yeah even Guadalajara was closed! doh! i always default to tex mex when able 🤪so i would have gone there for sure but nope, they are closed on sunday's as well!

but love Phoenicia since it opened to this day but they close at 6pm on sundays so we even were a little too late for that darnit! 

anyway...Greenstreet get your act together! haha

Greenstreet needs a REAL remodel. A good example of aesthetics would be Montrose Collective. I'd either get rid of some of the side walls facing W Dallas or open them up with more glass. In either case, the bigger issue with Greenstreet is population density. We need at least another 10k of people downtown.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Greenstreet needs a REAL remodel. A good example of aesthetics would be Montrose Collective. I'd either get rid of some of the side walls facing W Dallas or open them up with more glass. In either case, the bigger issue with Greenstreet is population density. We need at least another 10k of people downtown.

Are there just not enough available living units downtown or is demand not high enough for more?

• The title was changed to GreenStreet And The Laura Hotel, Autograph Collection
23 hours ago, gene said:

well dang the pandemic destroyed this development in my opinion... (despite it already being a failure to some standards)

went to see the amazing band Forester last night at HOB Peacock Room and most restaurants were shuttered or closed including House Of Blues main restaurant as apparently they are no longer open on Sundays (which their gospel brunch used to be a popular staple...)

I had a hard time trying to find a close by place to eat around 5pm so i went to the former Lucky Strike bowling alley that was "luxury" bowling complete with dress code etc...and now it is called 818 Bowling and man oh man...let's just say it's devolved... 45 min wait for subpar fried food no less (yes i ate horribly but to be honest nothing else appealed to me much) and the staff was just hanging out and eating openly at the bar as well...then it just looked a little run down and dang they play their music waaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy too loud to enjoy any conversation in the bar/restaurant. BUT they did brag about most everything on their menu is 10 to 15 dollars and that bowling is only 10 dollars per hour...so hey if you are looking for the Dollar Store version of Pinstripes then this is your place! ;) 

but again, sad to see that this development has never really taken off or lands the right mix of businesses...

Isn't HOB as a brand on the decline?  Their booking seems lacking, people that probably would have played there are now playing at WOMH. Not much hope for Greentstreet with HOB as the anchor.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, august948 said:

Are there just not enough available living units downtown or is demand not high enough for more?

That's a good question. At the moment I'm not sure what occupancy rates are but I can only assume as other development happens downtown, the demand will continue to go up. Both Wyatt Plaza and Trebly Park will open soon. The midrise across from Metro is close to being finished, not to mention Skanska's massive project covering 3 blocks, and the Astros Village. Those off the top of my head are going to be good catalysts. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 5

51 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

That's a good question. At the moment I'm not sure what occupancy rates are but I can only assume as other development happens downtown, the demand will continue to go up. Both Wyatt Plaza and Trebly Park will open soon. The midrise across from Metro is close to being finished, not to mention Skanska's massive project covering 3 blocks, and the Astros Village. Those off the top of my head are going to be good catalysts. 

per CBRE, downtown apartment occupancy at the end of 2021 was 80.4%.  Current inventory is 6,520 units, with another 989 units under construction.  (All of these numbers are for rental apartments only and do not include for-sale condos.)

• Like 8

I don't think this development was ever going to be successful as it was designed. Something more along the lines of Miami's Brickell City Centre, with a far more mixed use development and taller towers, would have been more successful. A project like this would have only worked in that kind of a mixed use context. Trying to be a dour, drab, traditional mall, except outdoors (and exposed to the elements), was probably never going to work downtown, especially with the retail mix they were going for. Even as a place to eat, most people in the area probably went to Houston's tunnel system, a food hall, or Houston Center, for that.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Big E said:

I don't think this development was ever going to be successful as it was designed. Something more along the lines of Miami's Brickell City Centre, with a far more mixed use development and taller towers, would have been more successful. A project like this would have only worked in that kind of a mixed use context. Trying to be a dour, drab, traditional mall, except outdoors (and exposed to the elements), was probably never going to work downtown, especially with the retail mix they were going for. Even as a place to eat, most people in the area probably went to Houston's tunnel system, a food hall, or Houston Center, for that.

Ehh I really think it has more to do with how many people frequent that side of downtown. You need something to really anchor people so that they can stroll to GreenStreet. I think Trebly Park will help with that. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I think Trebly Park will help with that. 

Trebly Park somehow helping GreenStreet seems quite the reach to me.  There seems to be an underlying thought that any new park will produce the effects of Discovery Green, but when you're talking about a park that takes up 3/4 of a parking lot, I think you'll be lucky if it has even the ho-hum effects of either of the Midtown parks.  (Although, admittedly, La Calle has seemed to help Bagby Park, but I'm not sure how much you can attribute that to the park and restaurant versus the nightlife resurgence in the Gray/Dallas corridor.)

• Like 4

I'll never understand the vision to make Dallas St the "Retail" street Downtown when we've got plenty of actual retail spots & streets Downtown. Understand we need garages and entrances/exits, loading docks, garbage entrances, but a true retail street shouldn't have these obstructions and should be put in as an ordinance.

Greenstreet was doomed from the beginning and perhaps too much of a head start. Downtown can really become a retail destination, especially with the East side and Midtown exploding with apartments & town houses. Likely another 20 years before that happens.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Montrose1100 said:

I'll never understand the vision to make Dallas St the "Retail" street Downtown when we've got plenty of actual retail spots & streets Downtown. Understand we need garages and entrances/exits, loading docks, garbage entrances, but a true retail street shouldn't have these obstructions and should be put in as an ordinance.

Greenstreet was doomed from the beginning and perhaps too much of a head start. Downtown can really become a retail destination, especially with the East side and Midtown exploding with apartments & town houses. Likely another 20 years before that happens.

Yeah I think Greenstreet was just a bit ahead of the curve, doesn't mean it still can't work. The shell is still good. I like that Dallas St was picked because it forces the cities vision further south. And as more stuff opens up on that end, we'll see the need for more retail. There are still about 4 lots I would like to see turned in to residential on that side of downtown. Trebly Park is basically going to become "Discovery Green south" in time so maybe we'll see more than just the standard midrise. It won't have the same affect but I can still see developers building around it. 

1 hour ago, mattyt36 said:

Trebly Park somehow helping GreenStreet seems quite the reach to me.  There seems to be an underlying thought that any new park will produce the effects of Discovery Green, but when you're talking about a park that takes up 3/4 of a parking lot, I think you'll be lucky if it has even the ho-hum effects of either of the Midtown parks.  (Although, admittedly, La Calle has seemed to help Bagby Park, but I'm not sure how much you can attribute that to the park and restaurant versus the nightlife resurgence in the Gray/Dallas corridor.)

For sure it's not going to have the same impact. I'm just saying that it will draw attention and events. And the return on that is more foot traffic for that side. And we've seen it before, things could expand and change just because of this little park. It's a small investment that has a ripple effect. 

THE FIRST THING YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT TREBLY PARK? “We want it to be the heart of the neighborhood,” says Angie Bertinot, the Downtown District Director of Marketing and Communications. “We do see it as a catalyst project that will hopefully encourage even more development.”

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Yeah I think Greenstreet was just a bit ahead of the curve, doesn't mean it still can't work. The shell is still good. I like that Dallas St was picked because it forces the cities vision further south. And as more stuff opens up on that end, we'll see the need for more retail. There are still about 4 lots I would like to see turned in to residential on that side of downtown. Trebly Park is basically going to become "Discovery Green south" in time so maybe we'll see more than just the standard midrise. It won't have the same affect but I can still see developers building around it. 

For sure it's not going to have the same impact. I'm just saying that it will draw attention and events. And the return on that is more foot traffic for that side. And we've seen it before, things could expand and change just because of this little park. It's a small investment that has a ripple effect. 

THE FIRST THING YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT TREBLY PARK? “We want it to be the heart of the neighborhood,” says Angie Bertinot, the Downtown District Director of Marketing and Communications. “We do see it as a catalyst project that will hopefully encourage even more development.”

It bothers the hell out me that the new park is not on the full city block I don't why 🤦🏽‍♂️

• Like 4

4 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I sincerely hope they are successful in accomplishing what they want.  I see quite an uphill climb, but it's certainly worth trying.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

JgmG07IaFcGXnMZ3Xcd26MPxJO8PsVYpMDp2QYvO

Saturday, May 21, 2022

GreenStreet 10th Anniversary Event

10:00a - 3:00p

GreenStreet is turning 10! Join us for Greenstreet’s 10th Anniversary Event on May 21st from 10 – 3 PM. The anniversary event will feature Yoga on the Lawn with Lifetime Fitness accompanied by a live DJ, followed by a vendor market, live music, live art, and happy hour!

10 AM – Yoga on The Lawn 
Enjoy outdoor yoga with Lifetime Fitness and a live DJ on the first lever GreenStreet Lawn. RSVP HERE: https://forms.gle/vny5171Y52Av2HbMA 
11 AM – Vendor Market 
Shop 50+ Vendors, artisans, and makers curated by BLCK Market & The Brunch Market on the second and third floors!
3 PM Astros Happy Hour
End the day with dinner & drinks at GreenStreet’s on-site restaurants and bars. Watch the Astros take on the Rangers that evening at any of our restaurant bars or snag a free 30-minute B-Cycle to Minute Maid ride at the event!

This event is free to attend and paid parking is available in the GreenStreet Garage, located at 1320 Fannin St. Stay tuned for more information!

• Like 4

On 5/11/2022 at 12:52 PM, BeerNut said:

JgmG07IaFcGXnMZ3Xcd26MPxJO8PsVYpMDp2QYvO

Saturday, May 21, 2022

GreenStreet 10th Anniversary Event

10:00a - 3:00p

GreenStreet is turning 10! Join us for Greenstreet’s 10th Anniversary Event on May 21st from 10 – 3 PM. The anniversary event will feature Yoga on the Lawn with Lifetime Fitness accompanied by a live DJ, followed by a vendor market, live music, live art, and happy hour!

10 AM – Yoga on The Lawn 
Enjoy outdoor yoga with Lifetime Fitness and a live DJ on the first lever GreenStreet Lawn. RSVP HERE: https://forms.gle/vny5171Y52Av2HbMA 
11 AM – Vendor Market 
Shop 50+ Vendors, artisans, and makers curated by BLCK Market & The Brunch Market on the second and third floors!
3 PM Astros Happy Hour
End the day with dinner & drinks at GreenStreet’s on-site restaurants and bars. Watch the Astros take on the Rangers that evening at any of our restaurant bars or snag a free 30-minute B-Cycle to Minute Maid ride at the event!

This event is free to attend and paid parking is available in the GreenStreet Garage, located at 1320 Fannin St. Stay tuned for more information!

Here's to celebrating 10 years of the most underwhelming development in Downtown Houston. Hip hip hooray.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

• 3 weeks later...