GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Mab said:

Isn’t that new beer hall rendering the F21 location?

Midway has owned this property for what?  3 years? 

I would love to ask them (and get an honest answer):  “if you knew 4 years ago that the present condition is what you would get 4 years after closing, would you have still purchased on the same terms?”

to me the property continues to disappoint.  It just doesn’t feel like a vision is being fulfilled.  But, i think property developers might see things very different than I do.  Midway might be very happy and think “right on track” or, they might be wishing that they had never purchased it (or somewhere in between).  I would love to really understand their thinking on this property (without any spin).

17 hours ago, Mab said:

A beer hall at Forever 21’s location is surprising when you consider the old Books-A-Million space is still vacant next door. 

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Wait a sec, so Forever 21 is closing?

I know nothing here, but I recall reading that at one point Books-a-Million was not required to pay rent. Forever 21 might be in the same position now, with some sort of clause that they get booted if a redevelopment opportunity shows up. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Think about the possibilities. 

Hakeem Olajuwon 34

Nolan Ryan  34

Earl Campbell 34

Elvin Bethea

Robert Brazille

A.J. Foyt

Carl Lewis

Zina Garrison

George Foreman

Elvin Hayes

Calvin Murphy

Rudy Tomjanovich

Homero Blancas

Fred Couples

John Mahaffey

Bruce Lietzke'

Steve Elkington

Jackie Burke

Jimmie Demaret

Dave Williams

Bruce Matthews 

Mike Munchak

Jimmy Wynn

Jose Cruz

Larry Dierker

Guy Lewis

Craig Biggio

Jeff Bagwell

Don Chaney

Jose Altuve

Roger Clemens

Andy Pettit

Michael Strahan

and on and on

Who wouldn't want to go see this

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, bobruss said:

Think about the possibilities. 

Hakeem Olajuwon 34

Nolan Ryan  34

Earl Campbell 34

Elvin Bethea

Robert Brazille

A.J. Foyt

Carl Lewis

Zina Garrison

George Foreman

Elvin Hayes

Calvin Murphy

Rudy Tomjanovich

Homero Blancas

Fred Couples

John Mahaffey

Bruce Lietzke'

Steve Elkington

Jackie Burke

Jimmie Demaret

Dave Williams

Bruce Matthews 

Mike Munchak

Jimmy Wynn

Jose Cruz

Larry Dierker

Guy Lewis

Craig Biggio

Jeff Bagwell

Don Chaney

Jose Altuve

Roger Clemens

Andy Pettit

Michael Strahan

and on and on

Who wouldn't want to go see this

Don’t forget we have a professional soccer team with legends like Brian Ching and Brad Davis

• Like 3

Let's not for get Gordie, Mark, and Marty Howe of the original Houston Aeros (WHL). They aren't related to Art Howe, are they? Oh yeah, Joe Morgan and J. R. Richard too. Charles Beverly with the Buffaloes (yes that is how it was spelled) way back when. I'm sure there are more.

Bum Phillips? Don't forget John Heisman coached Rice football from 1924-1927.

Edited by Specwriter
  • Like 2

This list could go on and on. I was just thinking off the top of my head and left out quite a few.

I'm having a senior moment but who was the Quarterback for our other pro football team. I think they were the Gamblers. He went on to star for Buffalo.

Was it Jim Kelly? 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bobruss said:

This list could go on and on. I was just thinking off the top of my head and left out quite a few.

I'm having a senior moment but who was the Quarterback for our other pro football team. I think they were the Gamblers. He went on to star for Buffalo.

Was it Jim Kelly? 

Indeed it was Jim Kelly. He played 11 seasons at Buffalo. His 58th birthday is this coming Wednesday, Feb. 14.

You are right, bobruss, this topic could have a thread of its own under Sports and Stadia. The Texas Gulf Coast region and its sports teams have had many stand-out athletes who grew up here and/or made their mark here. I am fortunate to have witnessed so many. No, I didn't attend Rice in the 1920's when Heisman was coach. :) In fact, I'm younger than Jim Kelly by a few months.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

Zina Garrison and Lori McNeil should both be in there. Doubles champions who grew up in the Third Ward and crashed through all sorts of barriers. Plus, Lori is still out on the courts every day teaching the next generation in MacGregor Park at ZGA.

These are the real HoF athletes - those who share their expertise and experience with the next generation and use their celebrity to promote good things in the community.

• Like 5

When I worked at the original Carrabbas as a waiter when it first opened Zina, would come in and I waited on her several times. My daughter had just started playing tennis and Zina was at her Zenith. I mentioned that my daughter was taking up the sport and the next time Zina came in she gave me one of her Racket signed for my daughter to use.

I was floored. She is truly a great athlete but even more an incredible person. 

One of the things about the list that I put together is that it came mostly from a list I had made of the athlete for Houston teams that I met or waited on at Carrabbas. 

I probably met more hall of famers at that restaurant than you can imagine. Players from opposing teams would come in all of the time like Reggie jackson, Tommy Lasorda Spiderman Sallie, and on and on. It was a remarkable place to see and meet some of the all time greats!

All of the Oilers, Astros, and Rockets games it was nuts. Rudy and his wife and daughters would come in after games. 

• Like 3

Zina is great. She's given up coaching at the pro level and is now back in Houston full-time dedicating herself to expanding her academy for youth. Lori coaches out there every day. They've got some really exciting plans to expand what they do in MacGregor Park. Going to need to fundraise a lot but I think they'll pull it off. 

• Like 2

As an inhabitant of Riverside Terrace, I've spent some time at MacGregor Park and seen Zina's academy. Thats great news about the expansion.

So is Lori your daughter.? I remember you mentioning that she goes to U of H, I believe in an earlier post. 

They could have a section of the Hall for Houston inspired sports movies or movies featuring Houston sports/athletes/venues..

- Bad New Bears II/ Astrodome

-The Batttle of the Sexes/Astrodome

-Friday Night Lights / Astrodome

- Boys Life featured an Astros game at MMP.

Also,  weren't the two main golfers in Tin Cup, former teammates at the University of Houston?

Oh, and Jamie Foxx's  UH character in Any Given Sunday and I'm sure many more.

Edited by shasta
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, shasta said:

They could have a section of the Hall for Houston inspired sports movies or movies featuring Houston sports/athletes/venues..

- Bad New Bears II/ Astrodome

-The Batttle of the Sexes/Astrodome

-Friday Night Lights / Astrodome

- Boys Life featured an Astros game at MMP.

Also,  weren't the two main golfers in Tin Cup, former teammates at the University of Houston?

Oh, and Jamie Foxx's  UH character in Any Given Sunday and I'm sure many more.

Part of Tin Cup was filmed at Kingwood Country Club. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/article/Houston-icons-to-put-a-ring-on-it-at-Hall-of-Fame-12907434.php

Houston icons to put a ring on it at Hall of Fame groundbreaking

Melanie Hauser

May 11, 2018 Updated: May 11, 2018 10:30am

Earl Campbell is counting down the days.

Every morning. Same smile. Same headshake. Same thought. Maybe a word changed here or there, but Christian Campbell knows what's coming.

His dad wants to be able to slip that size 20 Houston Sports Hall of Fame ring onto his finger next month. The problem? The gnarled knuckle that carried so many footballs and took so many beatings over his Hall of Fame career.

"I just hope,'' Campbell says, "I can get it over that knuckle.''

No one may be more excited for June 4 to get here than the former Houston Oiler and Texas Longhorn legend.

Just after 3 p.m on June 4, Houston's Legendary 34s -- Campbell, Nolan Ryan and Hakeem Olajuwon -- will all slip on their rings at the groundbreaking ceremony downtown for phase one of the Houston Sports Hall of Fame.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:54 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Good find, Mab. These updated renderings and proposed changes coming to GreenStreet Houston looks sweet. (link to older proposed renderings of GreenStreet renovations)

It looks as though they will be adding some small retail spaces opening on Dallas Street. I talked to someone involved with this a couple months ago who said they were planning on down-leasing the building in order to perform renovations aimed at opening the project up to Dallas Street more.

• Like 3