GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

1 hour ago, 102IAHexpress said:

Actually downtown is alive. All the restaurants in the tunnels are really open in the evenings and weekends and they are making a ton of money after hours, it's just nobody knows about it. The light rail is also bringing in tons of passengers to Cafe Express and Chipolte on the weekends but we can't actually see them that's why they appear closed. And the city didn't have to offer tax breaks to developers to build new construction in downtown. Based on all this lets go ahead and fund a tax subsidized retail district in downtown as well, the reports of traditional retail dying because of online shopping is clearly fake news.

Sorry dude.  You seem to have slipped from fallacious arguments right into total irrational incoherence.   Your time might be better spent getting away from the keyboard and out of the house so you can get to know the city in which you live.  Buh-bye.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Your time might be better spent getting away from the keyboard and out of the house so you can get to know the city in which you live.  Buh-bye.

This from the guy who has over 5K posts on an internet forum! Come back to the forum when you have something useful, like evidence and logic.

1 hour ago, 102IAHexpress said:

All the restaurants in the tunnels are really open in the evenings and weekends.

Are you really serious right now? Last week (nay, less than a week ago) I walked from Hess Tower to Travis Place Garage through the tunnel system at maybe 3:30 pm and everything was closed up for the evening. I hardly saw anyone at all except for a small group of employees hanging out in one of the food courts, and every place I remember seeing was closed (except for maybe one) or in the process of closing (kitchen already shut down, employees cleaning up).

I don't go to downtown all that often and can't speak on improvements over the recent months/years but I can call out BS when I see it. <_<

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, IronTiger said:

Are you really serious right now? Last week (nay, less than a week ago) I walked from Hess Tower to Travis Place Garage through the tunnel system at maybe 3:30 pm and everything was closed up for the evening. I hardly saw anyone at all except for a small group of employees hanging out in one of the food courts, and every place I remember seeing was closed (except for maybe one) or in the process of closing (kitchen already shut down, employees cleaning up).

I don't go to downtown all that often and can't speak on improvements over the recent months/years but I can call out BS when I see it. <_<

Not at all. I was being sarcastic in response to Kinkaid's silly post. In all sincerity you are correct, the tunnels are dead/closed on the weekends and the afternoons. However in the mornings and lunch time they are very popular. During those hours it's one of the few things that has mass appeal in downtown, and the only downtown corridor without the need of government help. If the city is going to get involved at all in a retail district ( i don't think it should in downtown) perhaps it should expand on what currently works. The tunnels. Perhaps build a public tunnel where one is not developed yet. Create an access point from the street and operate it for longer hours and give tax breaks to retail shops that wish operate there.

Are you in the restaurant business? I am. I'm a partner in a group with 9 locations and two more on the way. Each of our locations is different. Trust me, if there was a way for us to have a place be profitable enough to be open only M-F during work hours, we'd do it. Have you ever thought of that? Chipotle makes money in that location. If they didn't, it would have closed. They tried different hours and it wasn't worth it so they went back to what worked. Why do more than you need only to eat into profits?

Downtown is more of a special events market or bar market when it comes to food service. It's why the majority of steak houses have done well or the restaurants tied-in to the hotels. It's why Batanga (with their killer patio) kills it and the restaurants with full service bars and themes also do well. 

We opened a Katy location 2 years ago. It was our first venture into the suburbs. We opened with hours more similar to our inner loop locations but quickly realized the Katy market was family oriented. Within 5 months we started closing at 9 instead of 12-2 am because we could save enough money on staffing, insurance, and alcohol purchases to make the balances work. Our Heights location continues to stay open until 2 am because it is worth it there. 

It really is that simple. Markets are different and it is the business' responsibility to figure what works. Chipotle/the franchisee has figured out what works for them at the Rice. Kudos to them. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

It really is that simple. Markets are different and it is the business' responsibility to figure what works. Chipotle/the franchisee has figured out what works for them at the Rice. Kudos to them. 

Thank you. That is exactly my point. In general i call them fabrics in more specific terms you call them markets, we both agree there are essentially two restaurant markets in downtown. The market that caters to the entertainment venues and the market that caters to downtown neighborhood locals. Accordingly, restaurants in downtown have to choose which market or fabric they want to do business with. Chipolte, perhaps because of their lack of alcohol can't successfully do businesses with the entertainment market, and perhaps because of lack of local customers can't do business on the weekends. Same is true with Cafe Express, Jason's Deli, Lone Star Taco, La Palapa, etc..

All I'm saying is that there are not that many restaurants for downtown locals in the evenings and weekends. And like an airline that operates a route only 3x a week or 5x a week instead of daily, yes It can operate a profit on just a few flights a week, and there is nothing wrong with that. However, although locals may not need to fly into market everyday, they do need to eat everyday.  Again, I'm not saying there arn't any restaurants open for locals in the evening and weekend because there are some, but not as many as everyone thinks.

So lets just taper down the talk that the neighborhood restaurant scene is growing in downtown.

• The topic was locked

logo.png

WordBrilliant.jpg

^^^ if i have stated it once, i shall happily state it again, "HOTEL ALESSANDRA will change the face of GREENSTREET.  once completed, it shall become the best luxury hotel in the city of houston".  count on it....

Edited by monarch
  • Like 3

I am definitely not a luxury hotel coinnoisseur ( wish I were but can't do it with three children), so I am dependent on others perceptions. Would you say this will out class the St. Regis of the Four Seasons?

Edited by Twinsanity02
error in spelling
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

I am definitely not a luxury hotel coinnoisseur ( wish I were but can't do it with three children), so I am dependenant on others perceptions. Would you say this will out class the St. Regis of the Four Seasons?

^^^ yes, i do.  HOTEL ALESSANDRA is already projected to become a 5***** luxury brand.  therefore, i can see it definitely outclassing the aforementioned brands that you have brought forth.  whenever there is any doubt in your mind, please think of the other extremely viable sister hotel of the valencia group across town... HOTEL SORELLA at city centre. HOTEL ALESSANDRA is designed to be even better than that brilliant and highly successful concept.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Twinsanity02 said:

I am definitely not a luxury hotel coinnoisseur ( wish I were but can't do it with three children), so I am dependenant on others perceptions. Would you say this will out class the St. Regis of the Four Seasons?

No. Not even close. It will be a solid hotel but it will not become the new top luxury hotel for Houston.

I like most people, am also not a regular connoisseur of luxury hotels, however a lot of people still will be in the market for luxury hotels during certain life events; like their wedding day. On their wedding day most brides lose all rationality when it comes to budgets and they pretty much demand the best location, best services, best everything, and if they are looking for that in this hotel they will be disappointed. Again, it's a solid hotel, just not a game changing luxury hotel for Houston.

Is there any plans (apologies if it was already mentioned but the design kept changing) for a spa and salon? For a full service luxury wedding now a days you need a spa on location.

I think it'll be classed as a Boutique Hotel.  It looks like it will be quite elegant, a nice place to stay, eat and drink.  It will likely be priced pretty high.  But, a hotel of this size, in this market, simply will not be able support the staff and services that Four Seasons and St Regis do.  This will be close to the JW Marriott in terms of experience but not on the service par with 4S and StR...as I see it. 

• Like 1

I'm not impressed at all by the arches and interior of this space. The way its painted looks kind of cheap if you ask me. Especially when you compare this to those beautiful early renderings of the interior.

If I remember correctly they were much more sculptural and had a very light airy look. This has a very heavy handed feel and not what I was expecting.

The colors they chose are very harsh and the materials and finishes aren't very impressive. Looks like a contemporary La Quinta.

Sorry just not impressed. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, monarch said:

^^^ yes, i do.  HOTEL ALESSANDRA is already projected to become a 5***** luxury brand.  therefore, i can see it definitely outclassing the aforementioned brands that you have brought forth.  whenever there is any doubt in your mind, please think of the other extremely viable sister hotel of the valencia group across town... HOTEL SORELLA at city centre. HOTEL ALESSANDRA is designed to be even better than that brilliant and highly successful concept.....

I'm still waiting for Houston to get a Mandarin Oriental... ;) 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This building is a visual disappointment and the potted stubby shrubbery by an otherwise barren pool -- seemingly devoid of any amenity other than a rectangular concrete hole with water in it --- that seems more suitable to a Hampton Inn looks anything but "luxe".   

• Like 7

7 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

This building is a visual disappointment and the potted stubby shrubbery by an otherwise barren pool -- seemingly devoid of any amenity other than a rectangular concrete hole with water in it --- that seems more suitable to a Hampton Inn looks anything but "luxe".   

^^^ HOTEL ALESSANDRA is STILL undergoing construction.  surely, certain areas of this edifice are going to be a bit "barren" when they are still undergoing the design and decorative stages.  the pool terrace shrubbery/plants are normally the first to come out before all of the other terrace's decor.  EVERYBODY knows this... right?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, monarch said:

^^^ HOTEL ALESSANDRA is STILL undergoing construction.  surely, certain areas of this edifice are going to be a bit "barren" when they are still undergoing the design and decorative stages.  the pool terrace shrubbery/plants are normally the first to come out before all of the other terrace's decor.  EVERYBODY knows this... right?

I'm sure that they will lug out some chairs and loungers.  But, no other amenities (bar, fire pits, etc).  Now, with all of your postings of amazing resorts, including many resort pools from around the world, can you legitimately tell me that this pool will look anything like those (or the 4 seasons a block away for that matter)?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, UtterlyUrban said:

I'm sure that they will lug out some chairs and loungers.  But, no other amenities (bar, fire pits, etc).  Now, with all of your postings of amazing resorts, including many resort pools from around the world, can you legitimately tell me that this pool will look anything like those (or the 4 seasons a block away for that matter)?

^^^ did ALESSANDRA'S management indicate to you that they have NOW COMPLETED their pool/hotel amenities thereof?  pardon me, dear sir, but it sounds as though you have first-hand knowledge of these proposed/ongoing plans directly from of the VALENCIA GROUP.  who's to say that they shall not harbor a "bar, fire pits, etc" i have no knowledge of this hotel's most intimate design plans forthcoming.  however, it certainly seems to me that they are in earnest trying to achieve the very best with the limited spacing that they now harbor at GREENSTREET.  i for one, shall be very patient until the GRAND OPENING.. before i start to administer profound critiques of this hospitality venue.  it's the very least that i can do since this edifice is STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION! 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, monarch said:

i for one, shall be very patient until the GRAND OPENING.. before i start to administer profound critiques of this hospitality venue.  it's the very least that i can do since this edifice is STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION! 

Excuse me, but you have been giving "profound critiques" on this property since BEFORE construction started.  You have been profoundly effusive in this thread DURING construction.  I have a sneaky suspicion that if I had said:

"my gawd, this is the most delicious and stunning pool that I Have ever seen!  This hotel is munificent in its appearance  and, dare I say,  elegance.  Look at how luxuriously simple the lines of the pool are!  Where others have kitsch, this is a clean and calming oasis suitable for the world-class hotel that it is!"

that you would have liked the post, quoted me, and told me how correct I was.  The fact that it's still under construction would never have entered the dialog.  

So, how about this:  I think the pool deck looks like a Hampton Inn.  You think that they will trot out something magnificent in the next couple of weeks.  Maybe even something that will look like all those resort pictures you have posted.  Ok, I'll wait.

Edited by UtterlyUrban
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2017 at 0:50 PM, CrockpotandGravel said:

From Houston Chronicle today:

London-based recruiting firm Spencer Ogden announced Monday it would move its Houston operation into a former downtown nightclub, furthering the company's reputation for cutting-edge and quirky office space. 

The move is part of an expansion by the company, which grew its Houston staff to 50 from five in 2011. It plans more hiring through 2017. 

The new space, slated for mid-August move-in, will sport Astroturf floors and cowhide furniture. The company did not name the former nightclub, but said it was a 12,000-square-foot space in the GreenStreet center downtown. 

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/bizfeed/article/Spencer-Ogden-houston-night-club-office-11720317.php

It has to be what's replacing Scott Gertner's Sky Bar.

yep.

Once it was gutted to be a SuperbOwl party space, it was no longer quirky.