GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

If I wore a tux (as most gentlemen do.. not saying I'm a gentleman, but others who attend), to the Opera, you wouldn't find me in the same resteraunt as the Gun Show crowd. It's not a snobby remark, but if one is dressed in such attire, you usually don't see them mingling in everyday eateries. But then again I know a couple of people who went to McDonalds before prom...

ROFL!! I'm a musician... let me be more specific... a classical musician. Do you know any of us??? If so, that should answer the question of where we will or will not go while wearing a tux.

ROFL!! I'm a musician... let me be more specific... a classical musician. Do you know any of us??? If so, that should answer the question of where we will or will not go while wearing a tux.

I was talking about the general audience... but yes, I do know several musicians that play classical pieces. People of all different walks of life, (including, but not limited to), hippies, hillbillies, and hipsters.

BTW, I forgot to give my latest "HP report"...

I rode the Rail up to HP on Saturday afternoon (around 4pm). I figured with the rain and dreariness, it would be quite dead. Couldn't have been further from the truth. I walked around and saw a decent group of people in every establishment EXCEPT for Clique Salon. Guadalajara was packed... absolutely PACKED at 4:30pm. I saw at least 20 ForeverXXI bags just walking around the complex. I went to Books-a-Million and bought a cookbook... I probably saw 40-50 people in there the same time I was there. For a dreary Saturday, I was quite impressed.

I probably go by/through HP about once a week (I normally don't walk all the way through or buy anything. But I'll say this... in the three weeks it's been open, Guadalajara has been a home run. That place is packed every single evening, and has a steady stream of people from open to close. From what I've seen, it's the next strongest venue at HP after House of Blues.

I visited HP during my recent visit.

The current desolation is a little sad, but it a nice center ready to take off as soon as the economy turns around.

At the very least the existing potential for new retail and entertainment is better than 3 vacant, full-block parking lots.

BTW, I forgot to give my latest "HP report"...

I rode the Rail up to HP on Saturday afternoon (around 4pm). I figured with the rain and dreariness, it would be quite dead. Couldn't have been further from the truth. I walked around and saw a decent group of people in every establishment EXCEPT for Clique Salon. Guadalajara was packed... absolutely PACKED at 4:30pm. I saw at least 20 ForeverXXI bags just walking around the complex. I went to Books-a-Million and bought a cookbook... I probably saw 40-50 people in there the same time I was there. For a dreary Saturday, I was quite impressed.

I probably go by/through HP about once a week (I normally don't walk all the way through or buy anything. But I'll say this... in the three weeks it's been open, Guadalajara has been a home run. That place is packed every single evening, and has a steady stream of people from open to close. From what I've seen, it's the next strongest venue at HP after House of Blues.

;)

Get out! We all know this place is doomed to failure and nobody will every frequent any of its establishments. You're starting to sound like some of the lunatic posters who keep insisting that people are actually using and enjoying Discovery Green. ;)

(and, btw, I happened by Discovery Green yesterday afternoon just before 2:00 and it was swarming with people, seemingly enjoying themselves.)

Edited by Houston19514

;)

Get out! We all know this place is doomed to failure and nobody will every frequent any of its establishments. You're starting to sound like some of the lunatic posters who keep insisting that people are actually using and enjoying Discovery Green. ;)

(and, btw, I happened by Discovery Green yesterday afternoon just before 2:00 and it was swarming with people, seemingly enjoying themselves.)

Those people were just cardboard cutouts, using clever ILM techniques they are made to look as though they are real and enjoying themselves.

I hope that the HP doesn't turn into T&C v2.0 seeing as that was opened in the midst of a great recession as well, but since there isn't another mall within 10 miles, (or worse less than a mile away with better access) it may work out better.

I still advocate that HP is on the whole a smart idea, and in a good location. However they did take the "Houston way out" on the project by cutting out the residential portion, and building the cheapest possible structure they could get away with, so that sucks. Still, this type of development can almost survive on concert-goers and conventioneers alone. It's also one of the few evening venues on the rail line which CAN attract the hundreds of thousands of workers, patients, students and visitors from the Medical Center/ Museum district. So recession or not, there are lots of good signs for HP.

On a personal note... I'm in New Orleans today... talk about street level retail JEEEEEZ!

Edited by totheskies

I still advocate that HP is on the whole a smart idea, and in a good location. However they did take the "Houston way out" on the project by cutting out the residential portion, and building the cheapest possible structure they could get away with, so that sucks. Still, this type of development can almost survive on concert-goers and conventioneers alone. It's also one of the few evening venues on the rail line which CAN attract the hundreds of thousands of workers, patients, students and visitors from the Medical Center/ Museum district. So recession or not, there are lots of good signs for HP.

On a personal note... I'm in New Orleans today... talk about street level retail JEEEEEZ!

I know. Perhaps if they continue the hard work of rebuilding the city, it will one day return.

Anyone notice how "Lids" opened a location at HP, and now the store has suddenly vanished. Lids is not even mentioned on the directory anymore....

So, is Lids the first one to bite the dust at HP?

Is that surprising? They stood no chance locating on the 3rd floor with no stores around them to generate traffice. I don't see a lot of people going out of their way to go upstairs to buy a cap.

I was at HOB last night and the center was busy, even when I left at midnight.

I saw on abc13 this morning that Lucky Strikes expects to open by early summer. By then they say they will have financing.

That's great news!!! I think Lucky Strike will really add traffic to HP just like HOB.

Also, this is out of topic but this video needs attention... great H Town views in this music video.

That's great news!!! I think Lucky Strike will really add traffic to HP just like HOB.

Also, this is out of topic but this video needs attention... great H Town views in this music video.

They said on the news that the developers of Luck Strikes said that they expect it to bring in a lot of traffic to HP. I thought it was canceled from what I was hearing from people on here, but its going through.

The developers of HP also said during that news segment that they did not expect the economy to be like this when they built it, but expect things to pick up more when the economy improves.

I see that video every day on the 106 and Park Countdown. Its good to see all the Texas musicians on the countdown (Houston and Dallas).

Edited by citykid09

They said on the news that the developers of Luck Strikes said that they expect it to bring in a lot of traffic to HP. I thought it was canceled from what I was hearing from people on here, but its going through.

That's what happens on here... it was reported that Lucky Strike was on hold while they looked for new investors... and some people take that as it's 100% cancelled and they go with that. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Just curious, but after walking around the Pavilions the other day, I was wondering if it would be possible for them to open HP to the streets a little more (like along Polk where the windows are) at least on the first floor. It would mean that some first floor locations would have two entrances... but it might help draw some more foot traffic into the place. Does anyone think that this might be a viable solution for HP later down the road?

Just curious, but after walking around the Pavilions the other day, I was wondering if it would be possible for them to open HP to the streets a little more (like along Polk where the windows are) at least on the first floor. It would mean that some first floor locations would have two entrances... but it might help draw some more foot traffic into the place. Does anyone think that this might be a viable solution for HP later down the road?

The Park Shops at Houston Center did something similar a few years ago. I don't have any before and after photos, though, and more importantly, I don't have any before-and-after financials.

they are now opening the HOB foundation room to anyone during the hours of 11a-1p for cheap drinks. i think it's only weekdays.

Old news, it's been that way. For lunch as well as the drinks.

any idea how much memberships to the Foundation Room cost?

I believe all are over 1k but there are other ways to go to the bar or for dinner without a membership.

Old news, it's been that way. For lunch as well as the drinks.

since march yeah. i will clarify though, the martinis are $1 (gin, vodka based and similar drinks like cosmos), other drinks aren't so cheap. shiner was $8. been a couple of times. the kobe burger/fries was $16.95 good the last time but service was slow. hrs are 11-2, not 11-1 like i stated earlier.

since march yeah. i will clarify though, the martinis are $1 (gin, vodka based and similar drinks like cosmos), other drinks aren't so cheap. shiner was $8. been a couple of times. the kobe burger/fries was $16.95 good the last time but service was slow. hrs are 11-2, not 11-1 like i stated earlier.

Wrong, before March.

Martinis are $1 ????????

After visiting last month, I look forward to returning after the economy recovers and visiting a thriving Pavilions. The proximity to the Toyota Center, Convention Center, and Discovery Park make this a natural draw with the right retail & entertainment mix. The spillover should help all of downtown.