GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

Man this a damn shame. I was wondering why the one thing i was looking forward to was taking so long and kept getting pushed back. I'm just wondering how the development ran out of funding when they backed out on building the condos that were supposed to be built over the thing. They didn't have to pay back the 154 million that they secured on the original plans before it was scaled down. What gives?

Man this a damn shame. I was wondering why the one thing i was looking forward to was taking so long and kept getting pushed back. I'm just wondering how the development ran out of funding when they backed out on building the condos that were supposed to be built over the thing. They didn't have to pay back the 154 million that they secured on the original plans before it was scaled down. What gives?

Because HP can't control whether or not their potential tenants move in and complete their own construction. HP's capital has nothing to do with Lucky Strike securing enough capital to complete construction of the bowling alley.

So right now, HP is surviving solely because of the House of Blues and XXI. The other stores aren't making enough to bereak even yet. HOB and XXI probably haven't yet either, but at least they're getting close. Poor Lidz.

Well, the bookstore and Guadalajara and McCormick are paying rent to HP whether they are breaking even or not. McCormick is probably making money, though. Can be very busy at happy hour.

Edited by kylejack

I'm almost positive that Burger King is not closed. The last time I went was after the hurricane and it was packed with construction workers. On any given day, it's usually packed with office workers. One time Drayton McLane was behind me in line - nice guy.

I brought my lunch, but it looks like I'll be having a Whopper now (if they're open).

So right now, HP is surviving solely because of the House of Blues and XXI. The other stores aren't making enough to bereak even yet. HOB and XXI probably haven't yet either, but at least they're getting close. Poor Lidz.

If only they had better crafted their business strategy to not sell only lids and miscellaneous knick-knacks.

Well I have a little bit of bad news(well a lot of terrible news really)...walked around this evening with some friends and workers were boarding up the "previous" Lids store...and then we walked past Journeys and saw they had tons of boxes of inventory, but upon further look it turns out they're mailing product out to other stores...so it looks like they'll be boarding that one up pretty soon. :( I really hope the restaurants can weather out this recession and hopefully we won't see any more stores close before this topic moves out of the "Going Up" category :P

Well I have a little bit of bad news(well a lot of terrible news really)...walked around this evening with some friends and workers were boarding up the "previous" Lids store...and then we walked past Journeys and saw they had tons of boxes of inventory, but upon further look it turns out they're mailing product out to other stores...so it looks like they'll be boarding that one up pretty soon. :( I really hope the restaurants can weather out this recession and hopefully we won't see any more stores close before this topic moves out of the "Going Up" category :P

To me, it was silly to have them placed where they were...They should have had them next to Forever XXI to build up some critical mass. In addition, those two stores is not the correct clientele for HP and the Downtown crowd.

Well I have a little bit of bad news(well a lot of terrible news really)...walked around this evening with some friends and workers were boarding up the "previous" Lids store...and then we walked past Journeys and saw they had tons of boxes of inventory, but upon further look it turns out they're mailing product out to other stores...so it looks like they'll be boarding that one up pretty soon? I really hope the restaurants can weather out this recession and hopefully we won't see any more stores close before this topic moves out of the "Going Up" category.

Dear lord... :( :( :(

man, this sucks, first lucky strike backs out, now lidz, and soon to follow... Journeys??? Any good news going to happen soon?

Edited by C2H

Opening next month:

Cork Wine Bar

The Board Room (bar)

Opening in next 2 months:

Andalucias Tapas

Mia Bella

Yao Restaurant

July:

III Forks (steakhouse)

Closing in 3 months:

BCBG Max

Books-A-Million

etc. etc.

Just kidding of course...I really am hoping for the best, we're just lucky the Pavilions altogether was built rather than being postponed and scraped completely. I predict the restaurants won't be a huge hit right now...but they'll more than likely survive...and in 1-2 years the retail will follow and this place will get exciting again!

For now let's do our part and dine at the places we want to keep :)

This should have been expected - recession or not. These type of developments are not organic, and when implanted in areas where there is no real NEED (not want or desire) they always fail. The difference will be whether the management company will be smart enough to do like the Park Shops and rebound with parcels that cater to the downtown day-time crowd, eg. restaurants & service oriented businesses. Retail will suffer here until the residential element grows.

Edited by Jeebus

This should have been expected - recession or not. These type of developments are not organic, and when implanted in areas where there is no real NEED (not want or desire) they always fail. The difference will be whether the management company will be smart enough to do like the Park Shops and rebound with parcels that cater to the downtown day-time crowd, eg. restaurants & service oriented businesses. Retail will suffer here until the residential element grows.

From what I can tell, B-A-M is hanging in there... no crowds of people flocking to it, but they have been making some sales.

I still maintain that even in its sucky and incomplete state, HP is a good move for Downtown. We have enough Convention business to warrant some form of RETAIL that stays open past 6pm. I'm really sorry to see Lidz and Journeys go, but this is an opportunity for HP to rethink its retail scheme, and try to lure some more suitable tenants. I'm happy that they took a chance and built this thing... at least we've got a glut of retail space in downtown now.

They're going to have to rethink the look of it tho. HOB, B-A-M and XXI all benefit from having some street-facing signage, and I truly think this is what killed Lidz and Journeys. You literally don't know how to get to those stores, and no one is going to find them unless they walk the whole length of the complex. If HP wants consumers for the non-anchor stores, they're going to have to get to signs that reflect the store's location.

BTW... it looks like Lucky Strike has postponed to Summer 09, and they've decreased the staff at Houston Pavilions. I hate job cuts!!!

Edited by totheskies

They're going to have to rethink the look of it tho. HOB, B-A-M and XXI all benefit from having some street-facing signage, and I truly think this is what killed Lidz and Journeys. You literally don't know how to get to those stores, and no one is going to find them unless they walk the whole length of the complex.

Also, who wants to pay ten dollars for parking to go buy some shoes when there are few other retail offerings in the area?