GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

I haven't laughed this much in about a fortnight. I even spilled my vodka tonic!

After reading your posts # 4266, 4268, 4271, 4277, I could tell you could use a laugh. It is hard work being as miserable as you are all day long.

OK, enough fun for one day. Back to the doom and gloom, you two! :(

After reading your posts # 4266, 4268, 4271, 4277, I could tell you could use a laugh. It is hard work being as miserable as you are all day long.

OK, enough fun for one day. Back to the doom and gloom, you two! :(

LOL! Miserable? naw... ;)

Thanks redscare... I'll buy you a drink anytime. :)

I know the gm at McCormick and Schmicks and spoke to him. He had nothing but positives to say about the current location and stated that the weekend traffic is solid with guest staying downtown and convention traffic. I know personally that for lunch you can't get in without a reservation and therefore, this thing is doing much better than people thought.

Give it time, but you will see that this thing is going to really kick-off the next downtown revival.

I had dinner at M&S recently and got very similar feedback. Was told they are very busy.

On a side note... last night my wife and I walked to the Pavilions after dinner and Forever 21 was packed. I'm not sure if word is getting around, or if it was a freak incident, but it definitely was a change from when it first opened and it was a ghost town. The line to checkout was almost out the door, the dressing rooms had a line about 15 girls long, and the entire place just had people everywhere.

Unsurprisingly... Lidz was empty.

On a side note... last night my wife and I walked to the Pavilions after dinner and Forever 21 was packed. I'm not sure if word is getting around, or if it was a freak incident, but it definitely was a change from when it first opened and it was a ghost town. The line to checkout was almost out the door, the dressing rooms had a line about 15 girls long, and the entire place just had people everywhere.

Unsurprisingly... Lidz was empty.

hmmm...on a Tuesday night? Interesting. Notice any activity at books a million?

hmmm...on a Tuesday night? Interesting. Notice any activity at books a million?

Yeah, the fact that it was Tuesday is what really caught me off guard. I didn't go in books a million last night, but noticed some people inside as well (not as many though). However, I was in there last Friday and there were a lot of people... and it seemed as if every girl in books a million was holding a yellow Forever 21 bag.

Yeah, the fact that it was Tuesday is what really caught me off guard. I didn't go in books a million last night, but noticed some people inside as well (not as many though). However, I was in there last Friday and there were a lot of people... and it seemed as if every girl in books a million was holding a yellow Forever 21 bag.

XXI is one of the hottest "mid-price" clothiers for the teens/20s age group. The downtown location was a super smart idea, b/c the next closests stores are in Pearland, and out west (either Katy or Mem. City). A whole bunch of my friends love it. HP is going annoyingly slow with its openings, but you can't ask for better and more popular anchors than the House of Blues and XXI.

XXI is one of the hottest "mid-price" clothiers for the teens/20s age group. The downtown location was a super smart idea, b/c the next closests stores are in Pearland, and out west (either Katy or Mem. City). A whole bunch of my friends love it. HP is going annoyingly slow with its openings, but you can't ask for better and more popular anchors than the House of Blues and XXI.

... and Lucky Strike Lanes and Books a Million... I realize Books a Million isn't Barnes and Noble but they sell pretty much the same stuff! Who cares what they call it.

I do. It's a horrifically bad store. Though, fitting for this project. It's all the worst things about the retail experiences of Florida and California all in one convenient location.

I don't go to book stores often, so fill me in. How can it be that big, have that many books, but be so bad?

What's so different?

According to the Downtown E-newsletter March 2009.i know we should be optimistic but considering this was supposed to open a couple days ago, im kind of mad. I could understand January or February

but MARCH! oh well just my opinion.

Heres what was in it:

Pavilions_banner_v1.gif

Pavilions_banner_v1.gif

What Denver did right was build the retail at street level on a pedestrian only street (with the exception of a free bus that drives up and down the corridor). The stores in the Houston Pavilions seem kind of tucked away like in a typical mall, so you're not encouraged to go there unless you actually intend to shop. While on one hand I'm glad to see any retail in DT, I do think they really made a mistake in not opening it up a bit and providing a place for more than just shopping. I still think Houston needs more pedestrian-friendly places that feel public and urban rather than more private commercial places you feel trapped inside of.

I couldn't quite put my finger on what was bothering me about this development, but that's it exactly. The lack of street level access. I will patronize and support it anyway, but that was certainly a missed opportunity. It sort of reminds me of the MarqE on I-10 and Silber.

Edited by skyphen

I think its a smart idea they didnt place too much access on the street. This way they can better manage the seedy types and what not.

Actually, if anything, having it enclosed and hidden like it is would have the opposite effect. If the stores were open and facing the street, they would be more visible to cars and pedestrians passing by, and to cops, if anything shady were going on. I would hate to be a young girl working late in one of those stores the way they have it now. Having it enclosed does very little to add to the street-level vibrancy of the area, which I'm more concerned about than "seedy types."

Does anything scream "I LIVE IN THE SUBURBS" more than the use of "seedy types?"

:D

Edited by skyphen

Actually, if anything, having it enclosed and hidden like it is would have the opposite effect. If the stores were open and facing the street, they would be more visible to cars and pedestrians passing by, and to cops, if anything shady were going on. I would hate to be a young girl working late in one of those stores the way they have it now. Having it enclosed does very little to add to the street-level vibrancy of the area, which I'm more concerned about than "seedy types."

Does anything scream "I LIVE IN THE SUBURBS" more than the use of "seedy types?"

:wacko:

Probably. That's why I dont go to the suburbs... too many seedy types. Just scary.

That was my thought too. If I didn't know it was new, I'd have thought it was place that has passed out of vogue and was receding into disuse.

I don't think that it is worth the time and effort to evaluate this place at this point. We know that there are going to be a series of store/restaurant openings in March/April. We're just not going to be able to begin to evaluate whether this is going to be a success until that point.

I don't think that it is worth the time and effort to evaluate this place at this point. We know that there are going to be a series of store/restaurant openings in March/April. We're just not going to be able to begin to evaluate whether this is going to be a success until that point.

I agree.

Us suburban "seedy types" are still reading these messages.

Strange. Shouldn't you be driving 3.1415 miles to the nearest store for more cigarettes?

and many of us are ever more glad we built that inner containment barrier loop so long ago!

It's refreshing to know someone else thinks like I do but it's not working. They are still coming through and inside 610!

:D

I have to agree. It's pretty clear which stores they care about at Houston Pavillions... only the anchors. House of Blues, B-A-M and XXI are all facing the street. I've walked by Lidz several times now, and I've never seen a single consumer in the store.

I have to agree. It's pretty clear which stores they care about at Houston Pavillions... only the anchors. House of Blues, B-A-M and XXI are all facing the street. I've walked by Lidz several times now, and I've never seen a single consumer in the store.

I was interested in going to Lidz until I heard it sold only BB caps.

I was interested in going to Lidz until I heard it sold only BB caps.

Same here. I thought it was a Spanish tapas restaurant.

Now that I know they only sell BB caps, I know I have no reason to be there... Come on... Did they really think the market for BB caps in downtown would be significant? Perhaps during baseball season? There are other stores closed to MMP for that...

This is just strange that they would do something like this.